Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp ban on general traffic threads

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Yeah Biko, stop moving our threads to other forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Discodog wrote: »
    If we want to know if their are delays or updates we aren't going to search the other forums.
    Yes and the temp ban doesn't stop informational threads on current roadworks in the city, see the RB thread or SQR thread. We all want to know what's happening on the city streets so we can plan our journeys accordingly.

It's general discussion on future roadworks or general infrastructure chat that is deferred to the other forums.
    Infrastructure scope is "Basically, what is being constructed at the moment, planned infrastructure, possible or speculative infrastructure and your own ideas or proposals on what kind of infrastructure could/should be built, both here and abroad".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jeez everybody, chill. We are half way through the temp ban period and peeps are already going postal on poor ole Biko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

Does anyone else notice how peaceful the Galway thread is since this ban, the couple of ejits who used to always be a logger heads in any of the traffic threads seem to have moved on completely form the Galway forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can we get back to posting the delays we are currently having with the roadworks, it took me 15 minutes from the entrance at Dunnes stores Westside yesterday morning to the main Seamus Quirke Road, when ever the lights went green I could not go as the lights were red at Aldi, then they go green for foot traffic but there was none to be seen anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Can we get back to posting the delays we are currently having with the roadworks, it took me 15 minutes from the entrance at Dunnes stores Westside yesterday morning to the main Seamus Quirke Road, when ever the lights went green I could not go as the lights were red at Aldi, then they go green for foot traffic but there was none to be seen anywhere.

Information about delays is still (and always was) fine, post in the relevant thread.

If you're not sure refer to the OP or message Biko to ask.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Information about delays is still (and always was) fine, post in the relevant thread.
    Indeed, read the OP in this thread or my previous post above
    the temp ban doesn't stop informational threads on current roadworks in the city, see the RB thread or SQR thread. We all want to know what's happening on the city streets so we can plan our journeys accordingly.

Biko, you were obviously hoping the 2 messy road jobs in Galway would be finished by the 1st of June when you started this thread...... but you were wrong. :D

Care to extend the ban to the 1st of July????

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Biko, you were obviously hoping the 2 messy road jobs in Galway would be finished by the 1st of June when you started this thread...... but you were wrong. :D

Care to extend the ban to the 1st of July????

Why bother, as has been pointed out a few times discussing those two projects is allowed.

Well, it's fine to discuss any road under the "information" caveat, but if it extends to the "why" it's bordering on general discussion.
    The point of the informational nature is so people can quickly find the latest developments, ie lights working, road closed and similar.

If the discussion spreads over on "why" the good info bits might get drowned out in the "the design is crap/they should have done this/that".

I think 1st June is still ok as there will always be a road worked on somewhere in the city, the whole point of the ban was just to calm down the forum in the traffic regard and let posters discover the Infrastructure forum.
    Both those things have happened now so hopefully that'll help the forum to be more helpful and less argumentative in this regard once June arrives.

• Advertisement

I want Biko to have a chilled bank holiday weekend. Anyway we should all be nice to each other in July and August when there should be no road works and the sun is splitting the rocks.

Come October, with 3 roundabouts dug up, crap weather, tailbacks beyond Barna every morning and unlit cyclists Students everywhere ....and with the Bypass given the green light in Europe things may change. :D

I'm thinking maybe a mega-thread for all roadworks (that is not current) that people won't take to Infrastructure.
    This way every time a politician/department says something in the papers it won't create another new outraged thread. Instead it can go into one single traffic thread where the usual suspects can discuss its merits.
    Because traffic issues around the city tend to blend into each other in threads I think it's better to have a big one rather than many small where the same issues will be discussed anyway.
    Also it keeps discussion contained so the rest of the forum can still operate at normal temperature.
    What say ye?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A Galway traffic/peds-v-cyclists-v-motorists/road works Battle Royale thread in the Thunderdome? I am not joking on this one. Let all the pent up rage out over a month and then bring it back home with zero-tolerance and bans a-plenty for transgressors.

biko wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe a mega-thread for all roadworks (that is not current) that people won't take to Infrastructure.
    Robbo wrote: »
    A Galway traffic/peds-v-cyclists-v-motorists/road works Battle Royale thread in the Thunderdome? I am not joking on this one. Let all the pent up rage out over a month and then bring it back home with zero-tolerance and bans a-plenty for transgressors.

I think leave the roadworks (information) threads alone and create the mega thread for other traffic issues - so that things like the directional nature of cycle cycle lanes that cropped up on the SQR thread over the past couple of days can be discussed there.

I think we need to be very clear about bringing in rules on what is allowable into the mega thread. If there's an assertion being made, facts should back it up (the "because I said so" crap as if we're all 4 years old has to stop).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Robbo wrote: »

Dealing with traffic problems in Galway City is not a game. Some people on Boards may enjoy Thunderdome-style internet jousting but in real life there are serious issues to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think leave the roadworks (information) threads alone and create the mega thread for other traffic issues - so that things like the cycle lane on SQR that cropped up over the past couple of days can be discussed there.
    While agree with having a mega thread re general traffic issues I would disagree regarding your assertion re the query re the cycle lane/path on SQR. This was about usability of a particular section of the road scheme - which it is fully part of.
    Agree on citations.

While agree with having a mega thread re general traffic issues I would disagree regarding your assertion re the query re the cycle lane/path on SQR. This was about usability of a particular section of the road scheme - which it is fully part of.
    Agree on citations.

Sorry, I was referring to the road signs and the general discussion of the directional nature of the cycle lane - not it's usability. Will edit.

Traffic threads are great for commuters, they know where and when work will start and how it's progressing.
    General discussion threads are good for people that wants to discuss plans that may or may not happen.

In my opinion the commuters are the important people to cater for in this forum.

Arguing over bike lanes or how bad drivers are, that stuff isn't helping anyone at all.
    That stuff can and should in my opinion be held far away from the threads that has info on current work.

In my opinion the commuters are the important people to cater for in this forum.

Disagree. Why are commuters so important? I commute across the city every day - what makes me more important than someone who need to go to the local shop, library etc. Should it not be citizens of the city that should be the people who should be catered for in the Galway City forum if its in relation to traffic within Galway City?

I see your point but this forum cannot affect the structure of the city, no matter how angry you get at some change in the grid.
    It can, however, inform the users of problems that are a fact, like a road closed or a traffic accident that has closed off a street or similar.

There are many things happening in Galway every day that can be discussed in other forums other than this. Just because something is located in Galway doesn't mean this is the best forum for it.
    But for current roadwork, this is the best forum. To endlessly debate a bypass, this is not the best forum.
    imo

• Advertisement

Disagree. Why are commuters so important? I commute across the city every day - what makes me more important than someone who need to go to the local shop, library etc. Should it not be citizens of the city that should be the people who should be catered for in the Galway City forum if its in relation to traffic within Galway City?

To put it bluntly, with half the employees in the city coming from outside the city area, the shops, libraries services etc are funded (indirectly) by the commuters & shoppers who come to Galway.

Economically speaking without the commuters that are underpinning the services you have just mentioned, they would be less economically viable (if at all).

I don't know if you're old enough to remember digital, but when they shed the 700 jobs in 1993, there was worries that there'd be up to another 1400 jobs in ancillary services, shops etc that could be lost (the belief at the time being that 1 job in digital was supporting 2 in the local economy).

So it could be argued that your continued commuting across town to your place of work (which your employer pays rates on) is possibly as economically important to the city as your run to the shop or library.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Please clarify? Commuters travelling from where? Commuters travelling how?

I see your point but this forum cannot affect the structure of the city, no matter how angry you get at some change in the grid.
    It can, however, inform the users of problems that are a fact, like a road closed or a traffic accident that has closed off a street or similar.

There are many things happening in Galway every day that can be discussed in other forums other than this. Just because something is located in Galway doesn't mean this is the best forum for it.
    But for current roadwork, this is the best forum. To endlessly debate a bypass, this is not the best forum.
    imo
    Dont worry biko, I am not angry. This is just a discussion re temp ban on general traffic threads. I am not asking for a change in structure/grid what ever that means - I am asking that all people be treated equally. You are saying "the commuters are the important people " to the Galway City Forum. I do not believe they are.

To put it bluntly, with half the employees in the city coming from outside the city area, the shops, libraries services etc are funded (indirectly) by the commuters & shoppers who come to Galway.

Economically speaking without the commuters that are underpinning the services you have just mentioned, they would be less economically viable (if at all).

I don't know if you're old enough to remember digital, but when they shed the 700 jobs in 1993, there was worries that there'd be up to another 1400 jobs in ancillary services, shops etc that could be lost (the belief at the time being that 1 job in digital was supporting 2 in the local economy).

So it could be argued that your continued commuting across town to your place of work (which your employer pays rates on) is possibly as economically important to the city as your run to the shop or library.

We are not discussing economics. When I say citizens - that does not mean I am excluding commuters. They are just a sub-group who should be treated the same as any other sub-group in the Galway City forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Agree re info versus debate/discussion. I'd like to see good quality and comprehensive 'coverage' in both.

Disagree re commuters. Are my two kids commuters? If not why should their mobility and access needs be excluded?

There is a strong tendency in traffic & transport related discussions for the movement of vehicles (usually cars) to be conflated with the mobility and access needs of people. This should be avoided, IMO.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Agree re info versus debate/discussion. I'd like to see good quality and comprehensive 'coverage' in both.

Disagree re commuters. Are my two kids commuters? If not why should their mobility and access needs be excluded?

There is a strong tendency in traffic & transport related discussions for the movement of vehicles (usually cars) to be conflated with the mobility and access needs of people. This should be avoided, IMO.

Since you're so fond of quoting the travel stats used by the city council in their smarter travel money grab proposal, then any kids that travel to and from school are commuters. Personally I'd widen that out to creche/daycare, but we'll let the public have the final say.

Dont worry biko, I am not angry.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to point at you specifically. I meant the group that wants to discuss traffic politics.
    Please clarify? Commuters travelling from where? Commuters travelling how?
    Well, commuters in cars and motor/bikes. The SQR and the Morris threads has been good to let people from Oranmore and Barna/Knockers way know that it's backed up because the lights aren't working yet or that it's now quicker to travel, that type of info.
    Particularly threads informing us that roadworks will commence next week on such and such location are good so we can leave a bit earlier in the morning.

I suppose that info on that certain works will stretch out time-wise or how they cost can be interesting but it won't affect my commute tomorrow.

My goal was to emulate traffic information like you hear on the radio in the morning. Just the most pertinent info so it's easy to look it up.

As a side note, start using Waze if you have a smartphone. It will show you the speed of other Wazers in the area and other info so you can avoid the grid locks. I find it quite handy alright, even though I know the city.

Sorry, I didn't mean to point at you specifically. I meant the group that wants to discuss traffic politics.

No worrys. I still dont understand what the reference to the
    affect the structure of the city
    and
    at some change in the grid.
    is about in your previous post. Is this a reference to the sorting/categorisation of threads within forums?

• Advertisement

After a kickoff like that and I was sadly offline for the peak and back in post the deletions and issuance of pet infraction.....I don't think Biko can enjoy the long weekend if the restriction expires as expected on thursday night.

I suggest ( again) that the ban on traffic threads is extended to 01 July by which time I am now c.92.39% certain that the Font Morris and SQR roads jobs will be fully done and dusted.

I would extend it to the 15th of June at least by which stage the big disruption will be over and the net cumulative effect of the new road architectures can be 'discussed' in context.

Oh and have a nice weekend everyone, weather forecast looks good. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement