Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential CAT6 Installer In W Cork area

Options
  • 23-02-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good installer for a wired home network in the W Cork area?

I'm not sure yet if cat5e or cat6 will be used in the installation yet but I would like to ensure the job is done correctly.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Any decent sparks should easily be able to do it, maybe try the Cork forum?

If you were really feeling adventurous you could do it yourself - large reel of cable, faceplates and a cheap punch down tool and a free weekend. Hardest part is chasing the cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

I can highly recommend

http://www.dbmcomms.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Most sparks have no idea about how to properly connect network cables, it's not an area they were ever trained in and the standards have advanced so quickly. Many still cable houses for an analogue phone system, they loop phone cables from room to room. I've seen others use the wrong method to connect ethernet sockets. You'll need a sparks with some networking knowledge or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

Eqtel.ie will help you out in cork.

Talk to Ger Buckley

Make sure whoever u get puts in a reputable manufacturers solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

its piss easy to do it yourself, you dont even need a tool to crimp the cable, just put it in the walls, then to wire it to faceplates, you just need a small screwdriver to push the wires down into the wiring slots( looks complex but nothing more than insert cable in push down with a small screwdriver and do this for all the ethernet wires, which cables go where on the faceplate is also marked ).

I wired several faceplaces in the house recently, just got a regular builder to put the cabling in the walls for me and redo the plasterboard afterwards.

Note: if you use cat 6 cable you need cat 6 faceplates, also cat6a is even better( i didnt use it but in hindsight i would have got it instead )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

Ignore the last comments about using a screwdriver to punch down the wiring onto faceplates this is a cowboys approach they don't invent the correct tooling for the sake of it. If you want a compliant cat6 network to support all your devices do it correctly by either employing someone to do it. I speak with experience on this topic and have seen the horror installs too many times. Cat 6 is sufficient for a home environment and supports 1 gig of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

rugrat69 wrote: »
    Ignore the last comments about using a screwdriver to punch down the wiring onto faceplates this is a cowboys approach they don't invent the correct tooling for the sake of it. If you want a compliant cat6 network to support all your devices do it correctly by either employing someone to do it. I speak with experience on this topic and have seen the horror installs too many times. Cat 6 is sufficient for a home environment and supports 1 gig of traffic.

+1 on the proper punchdown tool, can be bought for about a fiver.
    http://www.amazon.com/DataShark-70034-Non-Impact-Punchdown-Tool/dp/B000KMFDZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330457812&sr=8-1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rugrat69 wrote: »
    Cat 6 is sufficient for a home environment and supports 1 gig of traffic.
    Cat 5 is sufficient for a home network and supports 1 gig of traffic

Cat 5e is better, much of the difference being in the number of connections you are allowed on a long run, so doesn't really apply in a house

Cat 5e is standard network cable these days anyway. cat 5 is very old stock

Cat 5e is faster than sustained hard drive speeds at present. Unless you have spent serious money on SSD's / raid.

Cat 6 won't give any benefits yet and unless you terminate properly, counting the twists, and all the ports are Cat 6 you won't have proper cat 6. In theory cat 6 will support 10Gb , but you would need the cards, cables, and switches to handle it.

Think of cat 6 as being future proofing, but you won't know if it was installed properly anytime soon,

For real future proofing, run two cables to each point ;)

Advertisement