Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit paid on item now on sale - advice required

Options
  • 23-02-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi,

Any help on this before I have to get on the phone in the morning would be really really appreciated!

Looking over the threads here I accept that a seller is under no obligation to return a deposit if i back out of a deal (even if verbally he said that if I had problems finalising finance he would give it back happily) but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/tips/advice of negotiating to get a better deal when you've paid a deposit on a Wednesday but find out there's a sale on the day after (only online advertising started the day of the sale)! Salesman never mentioned it when we were negotiating the price and the discount i got was less than the savings now offered.

Paid deposit on a used car yesterday over the phone, also getting finance through the dealer for pick up saturday, but today I see online that they're advertising a sale with substantial savings on new and used models this weekend. Will be talking to the dealer tomorrow but what do you reckon the odds of the dealer doing a goodwill gesture and reducing the price we agreed yesterday? I guess he could claim the car i'm interested in wouldn't be part of the sale but it seems to apply to all cars in stock.

How hard ball can i play? part of me would let the deposit go if I thought I was being screwed. any tactics recommeded?

Any help appreciated.

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Well, I don't see how there's any way that you're "being screwed" anyway.

What is the difference between the sale price discount and the deposit? Did you originally agree to pay the sticker price or did you make a deal?

It's unlikely that you have a right to a refund here, but it's possible the guy will be reasonable if you talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Cheers for the reply Zab. Deposit is e500. Back of an envelope calculations suggest that if I was buying the car today rather than yesterday I could save between e500-e1000.

I got a discount of around 8% off the sticker price, the sale savings are in the order of 10-12% off list/sticker prices (and I'm sure if you were a cash buyer they'd go further again off that discount price).When this planned sale wasn't mentioned to me during the week or yesterday (and that I missed it by a day) I think it's fair to at least ask the question? Is their any techniques you'd recommend?
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You agreed a price that you were more than happy with. A business is there to make a profit and is under no obligation to tell you he can make less money on the deal the following day.

You could have a chat with them and see what they can do for you.

If he's a member of the Society of the Irish Motor Industry(SIMI) you could give them a ring and ask their advice.
    If he did anything it would be goodwill on his part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Cheers for the reply Zab. Deposit is e500. Back of an envelope calculations suggest that if I was buying the car today rather than yesterday I could save between e500-e1000.

I got a discount of around 8% off the sticker price, the sale savings are in the order of 10-12% off list/sticker prices (and I'm sure if you were a cash buyer they'd go further again off that discount price).When this planned sale wasn't mentioned to me during the week or yesterday (and that I missed it by a day) I think it's fair to at least ask the question? Is their any techniques you'd recommend?
    S

Why would they mention it to you before it was on? Like the other poster said there not there to give you things for less, you had already got a discount anyway. Its your own hard luck you missed the sale its not the dealers problem

You agreed a price that you were more than happy with. A business is there to make a profit and is under no obligation to tell you he can make less money on the deal the following day.

You could have a chat with them and see what they can do for you.

If he's a member of the Society of the Irish Motor Industry(SIMI) you could give them a ring and ask their advice.
    If he did anything it would be goodwill on his part.

Sure theres a recession all business have to give everything away for free to people....

• Advertisement

Honestly if they meet me with the hostility I'm getting here I'd forgo the deposit and let them go swing for the 20k + they make out of me over the next 3 years!

I wasn't whining just asking if anyone had encountered this, how they got on and if any approach is better than the other!

I agreed the price, But equally I'll make them aware that I might walk away and hope that the €500 I lose will be made up in future sales elsewhere but I was wondering if goodwill etc might be likely to prevail.

Honestly if they meet me with the hostility I'm getting here I'd forgo the deposit and let them go swing for the 20k + they make out of me over the next 3 years!

I wasn't whining just asking if anyone had encountered this, how they got on and if any approach is better than the other!

I agreed the price, But equally I'll make them aware that I might walk away and hope that the €500 I lose will be made up in future sales elsewhere but I was wondering if goodwill etc might be likely to prevail.

Well if i was them id be gland to not get your business. You already got a discount off them and now you want another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Are you even sure the sale applies to your car? The 10-12% discount you mention might be on a limited selection of cars.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Are you even sure the sale applies to your car? The 10-12% discount you mention might be on a limited selection of cars.

Seems to be across the board, deeper discounts on new cars but similar age/value/spec cars are being advertised as 'sale now on' 'must sell this weekend' etc

Can't know if I walked in tomorrow to buy my car what they'd take for it compared to yesterday when I paid the deposit but would seem strange that this sale would apply to 60+ vehicles advertised on their site just not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

just not mine

This is the important bit.

You've paid a deposit so they can't have it on sale or discount it any more as it's already yours. You would be on here complaining if they had increased the price of all the other cars on the yard as well as the one you've paid a deposit on.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    This is the important bit.

You've paid a deposit so they can't have it on sale or discount it any more as it's already yours. You would be on here complaining if they had increased the price of all the other cars on the yard as well as the one you've paid a deposit on.

See the difference here is they would be sure to tell me the prices were going up tomorrow to ensure a sale today but they don't mind taking me for a mug by keeping a sale quiet. It's not an issue for me for retail outlets, I buy a coat today, it's in the sale tomorrow, such is life. Forgive me for thinking a 5 figure purchase deserves a little more fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

See the difference here is they would be sure to tell me the prices were going up tomorrow to ensure a sale today but they don't mind taking me for a mug by keeping a sale quiet. It's not an issue for me for retail outlets, I buy a coat today, it's in the sale tomorrow, such is life. Forgive me for thinking a 5 figure purchase deserves a little more fair play.

Maybe it does, but at the end of the day you where happy with the price you got. And I doubt many garages are paying high basics now so the salesman is working off commission, why would he cut his wages when you where happy?

If you'd enquired about the car and gone to look at it then you may have gotten it cheaper. You bought over the phone so I was about to say though. But isn't there a 7 day cooling off period on all distance purchase?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Talk to the salesperson and ask for the higher sale discount and if they refuse tell them you wont be giving them any more business and will be telling people their garage is not the place to get good deals. Any good salesperson will gladly increase the discount to keep a friendly customer happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Talk to the salesperson and ask for the higher sale discount and if they refuse tell them you wont be giving them any more business and will be telling people their garage is not the place to get good deals. Any good salesperson will gladly increase the discount to keep a friendly customer happy.

So lie to people about what they do is it? They had already got a deal but there greed made them want more and thats all it is greed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Forgive me for thinking a 5 figure purchase deserves a little more fair play.
    I disagree. The rules of fair play should be the same, whether a deal is for €50 or €5000.

I don't think you are entitled to have an already-sold car put into a sale and discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

OP, I would go in and ask, there is no harm in it. Some places will look after you rather than risking having a pissed off customer.

Also, you seem to think that the salesperson deliberately didn't tell you of the upcoming sale. This may not be the case, a lot of companies don't give their staff forewarning on upcoming sales and only let them know as they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

RoboRat wrote: »
    Also, you seem to think that the salesperson deliberately didn't tell you of the upcoming sale. This may not be the case, a lot of companies don't give their staff forewarning on upcoming sales and only let them know as they happen.

Precisely because they don't want them saying "don't buy it now, wait 2 days and give us less money."

Companies love getting less money

Dodge wrote: »
    Precisely because they don't want them saying "don't buy it now, wait 2 days and give us less money."

Companies love getting less money

More over during a recession

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You were happy with the price yesterday, to be honest I wouldn't expect them to do anything for you. A lot of those sales worth very little anyway. The money you end up handing over probably wouldn't be a whole lot different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Law 101:

Offer + Acceptance + Consideration = Legally Binding Contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

As you clearly know, and don't need to have pointed out anymore, they are under no obligation to offer it to you.

I'd say your chances of getting a lower price depend on the manager/salesman, and your rapport with them. I'd stay away from the threat of walking away, instead just explain how you found out about the sale and would like to know what price 'your' car is discounted to.

If they say it's not discounted, then explain how you feel hard done by, sour taste in the mouth etc, basically show how unhappy you are and see how they react. They might give you another few % off the car, you said you already had 8% off, so they don't have to move very far to get to the sale prices of 8-12% off.

They might not and then you have the choice of walking away, e500 poorer, or with the car, unlikely to come back to them. Either is bad for their business.

Good luck!

Advertisement