Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition course options and a career as a Dietician

Options
  • 23-02-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

Hi there and many thanks for taking a look at this little question

My daughter is in 5th year secondary school. Due to a bunch of school admin circumstances she found herself reluctantly having to take Home Economics for the leaving cert having never studied it before then. Lo and behold she has fallen in love with the subject since last September and it perfectly works with her love of Biology. She's doing really well in the subject and all is well.

The best part is that she now knows what she'd like to do when she leaves school and that's to study Clinical Nutrition and ultimately work as a Dietician. She's deadly serious and as parents we're thrilled that she's found what she'd wants to do.
    The only obstacle we/she can see right now is that the undergraduate course in Human Nutrition & Dietetics as taught in Trinity & DIT has a requirement that she has studied Chemistry for her Leaving Cert. She is unfortunately not studying Chemistry. Had she known a year ago what she now wants to achieve she would have taken Chemistry. Course link: http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/humannutritiondieteticsdt223/

A similar course in UCC does not have the same Chemistry requirement but seems to lean towards general Nutrition. Course link: http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/sefs/nutrition/index.html
    It mentions opportunities for further study to become a Dietician but I can't see what those might be.

Anyway, I have a daughter who wants to become a dietician but faces an immediate challenge with Chemistry.
    How might she approach this? Again, many thanks for taking time to consider this.
    Regards,
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=50

That's the closest thing I can find I'm afraid. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=9057 - and this too. It says you need two of Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, Home Ec - which she'll have.

Much more Dietician-based than Nutritional... but I don't study either so I'm not sure of the academic/employment differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

many thanks beardedmaster. I'll run those by her later. Ulster looks promising.
    I/she should also look at further study options were she to decide on UCC. A telephone call may set that one straight. Logistically UCC would be the easiest for us to manage as her brother is already studying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

I'm studying in the UK and there are several Irish students in my university studying Dietetics, due to not getting the entry requirements at home. The course is also one year shorter here as far as I know. Not sure if the NHS still pays the tuition fees; they did for students starting last year though the fees situation is a bit up the air here. One of the students here did a course in UL. I think it's called Food Science or something, and as a result she gets exemptions for some of her Dietetics modules.

cheers too theginsandwich. I'll pass this on to her also. Then again, having our baby so far away may prove too much for me :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Emelina

Hi Oldgregg

Thought I'd reply to you as I graduated from the DIT/Trinity dietetics course in 2011. Chemistry is a requirement unfortunately. I faced this same problem when I wanted to do this course and in fact I came to this course the exact same way as your daughter in that I ended up having to do home ec (ironically because I didn't want to do chemistry!) for leaving cert. Anyway I had the points so in order to get the course I did chemistry in the evenings in the institute on Leeson St and sat the chemistry exam in my old school, got the grade (you only need C3 honours or higher) and got onto the course! The DIT course is the only course in the republic where you can qualify as a dietitian - a nutritionist is slightly different and they are not qualified to work in the hospital environment. If she did this she would have to do a postgrad in dietetics and there is massive competition for these courses. The DIT course is excellent and the class size is small, which is nice because you make great friends but it's very academically demanding and given the high entry requirements everyone is very bright so you really have to keep on top of your assignments etc. Hope that helps, do ask me any more questions if you have any and best of luck to your daughter!

Sincerest thanks Emelina from my daughter, partner and myself. This sets us straight I believe. She'll take a few days to mull this over and drop back herself with questions if she has them and thanks too for the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

I did the ucc course, your no where near a dietician when you graduate!!! You have to go to the uk for @ least 18 months doing a post graduate course. Currently the nhs fund some of these places. Out of my class (graduated 2009) of 30, went on to do post grad courses which all took over 2years and 2 girls went on to do undergraduate courses in london, where in the 1st year they wer able to get exemptions from most of the modules because they had covered them already.
    Its not a great course in ucc to be honest, you dont come out with enought knowledge in any specific area....not enough foos science area, mircobiology, ect to secure a job in these tough times, in the boom there were jobs apleanty but now....im 2 and half years out with no job prospects! She might be beter off lookin at going straight into the uk if possible. Better job oppertunitys over there anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CeeCee87

Hi old gregg,

I too did the Nutritional Sciences course in U.C.C. and have just qualified. I did it because I didn't get enough points in the Leaving Cert to do Dietetics in Dublin. I am currently applying for the postgrad in Dietetics in the U.K. It is a very competitive process. I recently had an interview for one college that received 250 applications for only ten places!! She would have to work really hard to get a place!!

I would definitely advise you to see a good career guidance person to get as much information and help as you can with the UCAS application forms. Unfortunately my school never mentioned UCAS and I never knew I had another option to the CAO form!

There are many colleges that do Dietetics in the U.K. and such a short flight away. They are all funded by the NHS so it would be just accommodation/living fees. Also two colleges University of Hertfordshire and Plymouth University are only 3 years long. You'd have her back in no time!

I would definitely advise going straight for it.

CeeCee87

many thanks CeeCee87, muchly appreciated.
    She actually wants to go to UCC because her brother is there and it's close so may go the route you are purely because it meets her social/family needs. Did you enjoy the course in UCC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 crazyjav101

I'm have just finished a degree in primary teaching. I want to become a dietitian. I don't have leaving cert Chemistry. I have 2 a's, 2b's, 2c's. I have 485 points. I am willing to repeat my leaving cert to get in. I think DIT is beyond me. Some UK colleges seem feasible. Is there any postgrad in the UK that would spare me this ordeal ? or indeed some course that would help me seal my place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steve1983

old gregg wrote: »
    Hi there and many thanks for taking a look at this little question

My daughter is in 5th year secondary school. Due to a bunch of school admin circumstances she found herself reluctantly having to take Home Economics for the leaving cert having never studied it before then. Lo and behold she has fallen in love with the subject since last September and it perfectly works with her love of Biology. She's doing really well in the subject and all is well.

The best part is that she now knows what she'd like to do when she leaves school and that's to study Clinical Nutrition and ultimately work as a Dietician. She's deadly serious and as parents we're thrilled that she's found what she'd wants to do.
    The only obstacle we/she can see right now is that the undergraduate course in Human Nutrition & Dietetics as taught in Trinity & DIT has a requirement that she has studied Chemistry for her Leaving Cert. She is unfortunately not studying Chemistry. Had she known a year ago what she now wants to achieve she would have taken Chemistry. Course link: http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/humannutritiondieteticsdt223/

A similar course in UCC does not have the same Chemistry requirement but seems to lean towards general Nutrition. Course link: http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/sefs/nutrition/index.html
    It mentions opportunities for further study to become a Dietician but I can't see what those might be.

Anyway, I have a daughter who wants to become a dietician but faces an immediate challenge with Chemistry.
    How might she approach this? Again, many thanks for taking time to consider this.
    Regards,
    Michael

Hi Old Gregg,

I'm a mature student currently studying Biomedical Science in DIT, we are in some lectures with the Dietetics. Unlike Biomed starting from Leaving Cert level, LC A levels are essential for Dietetics, as the chemistry module on that degree builds on from LC IE., the LC is a prerequisite. There is no way of getting on the course without it.

I'm sorry this is probably too late to be replying, but just seen the post now, and I just thought of mentioning that if it is what she really wants to do, do not take the first offer from another college/course. Complete A level chemistry, and apply again next year.

If there is an interest in Dietetics, this is the course for your daughter, and it's very practical, the labs and lectures are 50/50, so you're ready to walk into a job when graduated, also like the Biomed it's the only Dietetics degree that is accredit by the Academy of Medical Laboratory Science, this is what enables you to work as a clinician; unless it's accreted by the AMLS the degree is useless, for working as a Dietitian in clinics, which most universities fail to mention in their courses.

I hope it all works out for your daughter.

Many thanks Steve,
    it's not too late at all, she is about to start 6th year secondary so plenty of time.

I'll forward your thoughts to her and again thanks for taking time to consider this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steve1983

Many thanks Steve,
    it's not too late at all, she is about to start 6th year secondary so plenty of time.

I'll forward your thoughts to her and again thanks for taking time to consider this.

You're welcome, if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask. It would be a good idea to contact the Biological Department in DIT, Kevin Street. The lectures are very accommodating, and they will take time out to talk to yourself, or your daughter, and answer any queries, or thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

You might want to check out if any private schools or grinds schools nearby facilitate taking on Chemistry as an extra subject. (It can be done in one year). I know in Dublin the Inst of Education and a few others do evening and Saturday classes and they cover the entire courses in one year. Might charge separately for covering lab experiments though. Worth considering doing this as an extra subject but it would mean working very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m.fitzmaurice

Hi,

I did the undergrad at UCC and am currently doing the postgrad Dietetics in London. Let me just say - I am VERY fortunate to be in this position. It is SO competitive to get on to Any Postgrad Dietetics course (only available in the UK, none available in Ireland)!

I was in the exact same position as your daughter in that I only realised I wanted to be a dietitian in sixth year and had not chosen Chemistry.

If at all possible, I would look into taking up Chemistry this year and trying to
    get the minimum grade to get into the Dietetics course in Trinity. It will be a lot of work I know, but that is only a taste of what is to come. Be under no illusions, the dietetics and nutrition courses will both be a Lot of work, no matter which one she chooses! But at least if she gets on to the course in Trinity she is guaranteed to come out as a qualified dietitian.

If she does the course in UCC there is every chance that she will come out with a very general undergrad degree and may not get a place on a PostGrad Dietetics course. Also, if she goes to Coleraine she is not guaranteed to get into the dietetics course either as I think they do an exam after first year to split the class into Nutrition or Dietetics (although I am not sure about this so it would be worth checking!)

Hope this was some help! =/ It's all worked out ok for me (thank god) but if I hadnt gotten a place I would have been KICKING myself that I hadnt done chemistry and gone to Trinity!

If I can be of any more help just ask away! (",)

^ that's excellent advice and many thanks m.fitzmaurice. I'll pass on a link to this post as I've done with the others. Again thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Flyingbanana

^ that's excellent advice and many thanks m.fitzmaurice. I'll pass on a link to this post as I've done with the others. Again thanks!
    Hey old gregg how is your daughter doing? Is she studying hard at the moment.

Hey old gregg how is your daughter doing? Is she studying hard at the moment.

Hi there Flyingbanana. Yes she is doing pretty much what she has always done, work really hard Mon - Fri and then relax/party at the weekend. Not long now till the exams so we're just trying to nurture that stress free environment for her. She is still up in the air as to what to do next year. The Chemistry issue really threw her and so far she hasn't bought into any of the ways around that but either way she'll be fine.

Many thanks for asking and following up. Muchly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eilish_k

Hope you don't mind me replying to this now as I was going through a google search trying to find a solution.Unfortunately, I have the exact same problem without chemistry as a subject for leaving cert and I only found this out during fifth year (I will now be going into Leaving Cert in September).
    I was just wondering how your daughter got on? (or anyone else in the same situation as me)
    Thank you,
    Eilish

• Advertisement

Hi Eilish, in the end she was unable to resolve this as planned so she went and studied something completely unrelated. Trusting all works out for you and your career.
    Mick

Advertisement