Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's Hospital on hold after planning refusal. New idea

Options
13»

Comments

RonMexico wrote: »
    They had a computer generated image of what it would have looked like on the news there and to be fair it looked absolutely ridiculous in that location.

who gives a damn we need the hospital. Maybe the location looks ridiculous as it is. Dublin is a stunted dull grey town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Biggins wrote: »
    It probably doesn't suit for some reason, the mates of certain people in the Dail as they try and see to it that their corporate friends in businesses get the tenders for contracts!

Seriously though - maybe they'd be better off stripping down in numbers, the white collar department chiefs and quangos involved with the HSE and work on fixing the present hospitals than build more, only to eventually have them money starved and resource short too!

Just a notion!

I dunno Biggins - at least we know now the planning people are beyond the reach of political influence! :P

bleg wrote: »
    For what it's worth, from a clinical point of view (the most important IMO) it has been assessed that a co-located hospital at the Mater site would be the best option.

Assessed by who though ? There are plenty of docs and consutlants against it.

Tallaght or Beaumont would be far better locations in my opinion.
    DB21 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Used to commute to that area. Try getting to Beaumont quickly at 8:30ish and get back to me.

More to the point is Beaumont is an unbelievable hole in and of itself. It needs to be knocked and rebuilt - it is built to outdated plans, there's barely any space. A new Beaumont should be built on site in phases knocking the old one a bit at a time.

I have a radical idea. You want an adult hospital to build a kiddie's hospital on. The Hermitage. Loads of space there and its greenfield. Lots of disciplines. Not great public transport wise but you could run a Luas Spur there easy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/overseas-investors-want-to-fund-childrens-hospital-on-coombe-site-3038548.html
    HEALTH Minister Dr James Reilly is considering an alternative proposal for the site of the new children's hospital.

The alternative hospital, which may be funded by governments in the Middle and Far East, will be located on lands surrounding the existing site of the Coombe Maternity in Dublin.

I think this is also a bad idea, the Coombe is mental to get to in the mornings, there's queue's for the carpark there as it is for women to get to their appointments.

January wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/overseas-investors-want-to-fund-childrens-hospital-on-coombe-site-3038548.html

I think this is also a bad idea, the Coombe is mental to get to in the mornings, there's queue's for the carpark there as it is for women to get to their appointments.

Um....why do governments in the middle and far east want to build us a children's hospital ?!?!?!?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0514/new-site-proposed-for-national-childrens-hospital.html

I don’t if anyone has read this or heard it yet but they are now proposing a site next to the Phoenix Park for the Children’s Hospital. I’m surprised this site wasn’t mentioned before.

I live about two minutes away from the proposed site and I think it would be ideal. At the moment there is an unfinished complex of apartments there, many of which are unoccupied and if I recall correctly the landlord is looking to sell. The rest of the site is a green field which was once a racecourse. The site is more than spacious enough and the location, so close to the park is in my opinion perfect. A lovely view and perfect amenity for families, staff and the children themselves to use if they are able.

The site is also across the road from a railway station and is on the Navan Road, a main thoroughfare with a bus stop directly beside the current entrance. There are also plenty of other routes there including through the park. Thus it is easily accessible in a number of directions and has good public transport.

So all in all a pretty good site in my opinion.

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

It sounds better than the current Mater site anyway.

The Mater is near town, the RoIunda and Temple Street I suppose but it would be hard to find a more conjested place in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH-> Infrastructure

The site has been offered free of charge by Flynn & O'Flaherty,

Wow.
    Whats the story there ?
    Tax write off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wow.
    Whats the story there ?
    Tax write off ?

Desperate hope that staff will buy the copious amount of apartments they can't sell.

MYOB wrote: »
    Desperate hope that staff will buy the copious amount of apartments they can't sell.

Well what I'm wondering is - if the land/property has a certain book value - but they can't sell it now meaning that book value is meaningless - do they get a tax write off for donating that book value to charity or something ?

I mean maybe not. Maybe you can't even do that. Maybe its a completely altruistic deed. But I'm just wondering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement