Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Aviva Stadium transport

Options
  • 23-02-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

Just looking for a bit of advice, heading to the Ireland game at Aviva on Saturday and will be using public transport. My problem is that I have to enter the ground via Bath Avenue and it looks a bit tricky for getting back to the Lanswodne Road station afterwards. Can anyone advise the best route from the Bath Avenue entrance back to the DART station? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,368 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a new path from Bath Avenue along the Dodder to Lansdowne Road - AFAIK it's open after matches, so you just walk around the perimeter of the stadium.

Open to correction on that, though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah that Dodder path was open the last time I was at the stadium back in November,was at the football and not rugby though,if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Get off at Grand Canal Dock.

chris85 wrote: »
    Get off at Grand Canal Dock.

Again only as far as I know, DARTs don't stop at GCD station immediately after matches... no idea why, unless it's the narrow stairways that they fear would get clogged beyond safety limits....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Again only as far as I know, DARTs don't stop at GCD station immediately after matches... no idea why, unless it's the narrow stairways that they fear would get clogged beyond safety limits....

That's what I've been told more or less, actually it's the footbridge, because Sandymount and Lansdowne have tunnels below the tracks to move from one platform to the other, but the footbridge is deemed unsafe to carry the sheer amount of people expected before and after a match.

Sorry I can't help OP, just wanted to add that tidbit of info re: Grand Canal Dock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

That path sounds like it could help. Thanks for the advice guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

After the match you can walk around the stadium and directly onto Lansdowne Road. If you wait a few minutes, you can (assuming you're in the East Stand) walk around the inside of the stadium and exit via the west stand. There are no barriers along the way... That way you can come out of the stadium right next to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi everybody,

Just looking for a bit of advice, heading to the Ireland game at Aviva on Saturday and will be using public transport. My problem is that I have to enter the ground via Bath Avenue and it looks a bit tricky for getting back to the Lanswodne Road station afterwards. Can anyone advise the best route from the Bath Avenue entrance back to the DART station? Thanks

Are you heading southbound or northbound? I take it that you haven't been to Lansdowne before THe wait to get on a DART is quite significant; if you can hang around the bars for a while, I'd rather do that rather than starting to queue straight away. Otherwise, if heading southbound, I'd probably walk to Pearse (2 stops up but not that far) if you really want to head off that quickly. If heading northbound, I'd probably fwalk to Sandymount.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Are you heading southbound or northbound? I take it that you haven't been to Lansdowne before THe wait to get on a DART is quite significant; if you can hang around the bars for a while, I'd rather do that rather than starting to queue straight away. Otherwise, if heading southbound, I'd probably walk to Pearse (2 stops up but not that far) if you really want to head off that quickly. If heading northbound, I'd probably fwalk to Sandymount.

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. I was in Lansdowne before but I was in the West Stand so I got out and on to the DART pretty quickly. I want to be back at Heuston for the 5pm train to Limerick so the plan was DART to Connolly and Luas to Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, you could definitely walk from the Aviva to Pearse Station in about 10-12 minutes. If you have a train to catch, it might be quicker to do that than queue up to get the DART. If you are on the opposite side of the stadium from the station, the lines will already be pretty long when you get there.

Had no idea that the Grand Canal Dock station is closed on match days as its footbridge can not cope with match day traffic. I always wondered about that. God, that is such an Irish way of doing things. Makes my blood boil !

Did it not occur to the people designing and building a station that close to the second biggest sports stadium in the country that they should do so with more than just Mon-Fri commuters in mind? Bloody idiots !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If you're looking to get a luas, I'd suggest walking throughh Irishtown to the Point and getting it from there. its about a 20 minute walk, but you'll only be waiting on one luas rather than Dart, then Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. I was in Lansdowne before but I was in the West Stand so I got out and on to the DART pretty quickly. I want to be back at Heuston for the 5pm train to Limerick so the plan was DART to Connolly and Luas to Heuston.

A better idea so would be to walk down South Lotts Road and across the East Link to pick up the red Luas at the point. The walking route is a lot more direct than the driving route in case you look it up on a jpurney planner.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll be there pretty early so I'll be able to see which way suits best.

Marcusm wrote: »
    A better idea so would be to walk down South Lotts Road and across the East Link to pick up the red Luas at the point. The walking route is a lot more direct than the driving route in case you look it up on a jpurney planner.

+1 - far better idea than squeezing onto the DART, even if you can get near it! Looks to be about a mile on gmaps - handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

Hey there. Heading to madonna on aviva next month and got email from ticketmaster saying enter by gates k only for gold circle. To me that Is on bath ave so I get off at lansdowne roAd dart and walk to this road?? Or get off at grand canal station?? Any help appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Dublinwon wrote: »
    Hey there. Heading to madonna on aviva next month and got email from ticketmaster saying enter by gates k only for gold circle. To me that Is on bath ave so I get off at lansdowne roAd dart and walk to this road?? Or get off at grand canal station?? Any help appreciated?

Grand Canal Dock is sometimes closed for events at the stadium. The shorter route is to head east along Lansdowne Road, follow a path along the Dodder (red on the map below, on the highest magnification there's a recycling centre near the Lansdowne Road end of the path).

I don't know if the short route will be open, though. The other route is west along Lansdowne Road, north along Shelbourne Road, east along Bath Avenue, then head south at the traffic lights at the Dodder.

Here's a map of the area:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.33563&lon=-6.22799&zoom=16&layers=M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, don't presume that you'll be able to get off at Grand Canal Dock. The Landsdowne Rd station has an underground tunnel whereby peeps can access the stadium without having to cross the rail tracks. Grand Canal Dock station just has a narrow foot bridge for passengers to get from one side of it to the other. It is not capable of handling the foot traffic on match and concert days, so they sometimes close the whole station down on those days. It all depends on the expected attendance on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

tawnyowl wrote: »
    Dublinwon wrote: »

Grand Canal Dock is sometimes closed for events at the stadium. The shorter route is to head east along Lansdowne Road, follow a path along the Dodder (red on the map below, on the highest magnification there's a recycling centre near the Lansdowne Road end of the path).

I don't know if the short route will be open, though. The other route is west along Lansdowne Road, north along Shelbourne Road, east along Bath Avenue, then head south at the traffic lights at the Dodder.

Here's a map of the area:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.33563&lon=-6.22799&zoom=16&layers=M

Thanks for all that . Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Do they accept visa debit card for payment for drink?

Advertisement