Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever bought a thing that's been recalled

• 23-02-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Like a fridge that could possibly have a defect that might burn down your house so the manufacturer decides to give everyone a replacement just in case?

Only thing like that I have is a small kettle worth a fiver. Right piece of crap if it was anywhere near full a few drops of hot water could come out over the handle and give you a bit of a burn but havn't had a chance to bring it back yet.

It would be nice to get a car recalled like that.. after a few years of driving the sh1t out of it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I had an xbox where after 3 years or something they sent me a new power adapter because the original could burn down the house or something. Silly MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No but I've bought plenty of stuff that should have been recalled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No but I've bought plenty of stuff that should have been recalled

Amen! :)

Microsoft Vista! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A multipack of crisps in Aldi :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I bought a marathon before it was recalled snickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yep. A 22 inch PC monitor for electric shock hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Yes got one of Biko fridges, man came round and fitted a new part in 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Nah, I'm not that lucky. I'd probably have the dodgy product alright but I have no doubt the company would find a reason not to replace it.
    Company "oh you mean you wiped down the outside of the fridge with a damp cloth?"
    Me " yeah, just to clean the dust off it"
    Company " yeah, that's actually moisture damage, sorry but we can't replace it as its customer damaged"

I can hear the fcuking conversation already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Recalls started really showing up when my kids were small. I was always afraid of the baby equipment ones in Mothercare or Liga/Heinz/SMA etc; Had nightmares about car seats that would strangle them and baby food with added broken glass!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Recalls started really showing up when my kids were small. I was always afraid of the baby equipment ones in Mothercare or Liga/Heinz/SMA etc; Had nightmares about car seats that would strangle them and baby food with added broken glass!!!

What a time to be alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The ipod nano 1st gen... Got it replaced with a brand new 6th gen nano.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeah once i got this kind of electric massage chair.

here is a pic of it

http://www.wildsoundmovies.com/images/total_recall_chair.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

A mulit pack of microwave popcorn that had rice weevils in it .

I saw the recall notice on Yahoo the day after I had eaten one of the three packs in the box :eek:

I rang the number advertised , gave them the batch number and they sent me a postal order for a fiver .

I opened the unused packs and sure enough , there were a fair few of the little buggers stuck in the butter/fat mix .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

eth0 wrote: »
    Like a fridge that could possibly have a defect that might burn down your house so the manufacturer decides to give everyone a replacement just in case?

The apartment I was living in last year was destroyed in a fire because of a defect in the fridge. It turned out the fridge was recalled in the mid-nineties, about a year after it was installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Curly Watts

Bought an electric blanket once that had to be recalled.

Luckily enough I read the notice in the paper. could have went up in shmoke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

Cadbury recalled some chocolate bars about 6 years ago, potential salmonella scare if i recall. Also the irish pork meat scare a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I had ordered a fairly limted edition product, part of it was damaged, so they started sending out replacements for that specific bit. When they gave the tracking info, it showed it was the same weight as what the full package was when it was originally sent, which could only mean that they accidentally sent out replacements for the entire product rather than the specific part. Mine arrived and then the next day they were all recalled from the post, so most never arrived at their destination. I think only me and 2 other people received the package before they managed to recall it. I count myself very lucky, they're worth 300 bucks a piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Yup.

Krusty Brand Mayonnaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

ninja 12 wrote: »

I saw the recall notice on Yahoo the day after I had eaten one of the three packs in the box :eek:

I rang the number advertised , gave them the batch number and they sent me a postal order for a fiver .

I opened the unused packs and sure enough , there were a fair few of the little buggers stuck in the butter/fat mix .

I'm traumatised just reading this :eek:

Don't think I've ever had anything recalled but my Ma said when she was about 10 years old she opened a box of Cornflakes and theyd gone all soft. She sent a letter away to complain and didn't think much more of it.

Two weeks later a van pulls up outside her house and she was given 48 free boxes of the damn things to make up for it. Regretted that letter business after the 11th box :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Not bought as such, but I had one of the 20p's with the horse saddle that were recalled..spent it on a time bar :D

The only one I had was a copy of Super Paper Mario which had a bug that would cause the game to freeze at a certain point. Was recalled by Nintendo and replaced with a bug-free version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The golden olive butter-like spread was recalled for a while in the 90s because they thought it could cause cancer.. Bit worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bought a Hotpoint dishwasher about 4 years ago. It stopped washing properly 4 times and 4 times they sent out a bloke to fix it. We extended the warranty & it had to be fixed a further 7 times until eventually the repair bloke replaced the whole motor.

It's worked fine since, but it would have been cheaper for them to just replace it straight off.

My last car was also recalled due to a factory fault with the installation of the steering column. The bastards at the garage gave me a Peugot 107 as a temporary replacement while they fixed my car. Apart from a Fiat 500 which I drove last year on holidays, it was the worst piece of shit I've ever driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah i had a bidet that sucked rather than sprayed:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

my mail order russian bride-

after about a year she started making an awful nagging noise and had to be shipped recalled back to her parents the manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

My dog .. never comes when you first call him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

electrical gear-main switches,bathroom globes

pain,in the arse going back to customers

the issue with beko fridges is shocking bad
    loads of fires in, uk and and plenty of boardsies aware of fires here and little publicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i didnt buy it myself but my landlord had to come take away a beko oil burner because it was one of those faulty ones that released carbon monoxide. he replaced the burner with a new gas burner cos gas had became available on the street around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

You ended up eating rice weevils and they gave you a fiver compensation?! Fcuk that. I would've hassled them for a lot more than a fiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ipod nano is was recalled only a few months ago. I said I may as well send it off, even though I never use it and its like 6 years old.
    It took 3 weeks for them to mail out the package, and it said on their website that if you havent mailed it back within 2 weeks the order becomes invalid and you would have to place another one. But it said in an email I got that my order was fine, so I rang UPS to come pick it up. Their phone line was automated and I just gave up a few mins into it because I couldnt be arsed going through the process.

The Ipod is still in the U.P.S packaging on the floor in the corner of my room. Too much hassle in the end for something that hardly mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Yeah i had a bidet that sucked rather than sprayed:p

Did they remember to give your balls back when they swapped it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

An aldi BBQ, it was recalled about 2 years ago. It was my intention to use it for the summer and then bring it back and get my money back :D

But i was far too lazy and I still have it and use it. It is supposed to have a leaky gas regulater, but i like it and it works fine for me.........so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Parents brought me back to the hospital saying I was defect and asked for a replacment.

Couldn't help them considering they had lost the receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Parents brought me back to the hospital saying I was defect and asked for a replacment.

thats what they told you but they really tried to get a refund at the condom machine where it all went wrong in the first place.... its a shame babies cant fit in the slot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Once you cooked it to 85 degrees it should be fine. Free protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Reiketsu wrote: »

Don't think I've ever had anything recalled but my Ma said when she was about 10 years old she opened a box of Cornflakes and theyd gone all soft. She sent a letter away to complain and didn't think much more of it.

Two weeks later a van pulls up outside her house and she was given 48 free boxes of the damn things to make up for it. Regretted that letter business after the 11th box :pac:
    My parents did that with Yoplait (really water yoghurt) and some bread crowd (bread was in date but mouldy). In each case a van showed up with crates of stuff, and we had to eat it all before it went off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Reiketsu wrote: »
    :D
    wilkie2006 wrote: »
    You ended up eating rice weevils and they gave you a fiver compensation?! Fcuk that. I would've hassled them for a lot more than a fiver!
    Thay had a standard replacement scheme - ring up with the batch code and get a fiver to replace the affected box .
    They only cost 1.99 at the time , so theoretically that's all they had to offer , the fiver was more than they had to pay :confused:

Once you cooked it to 85 degrees it should be fine. Free protein.

Well , I didn't even notice that they were in the bag I cooked , I munched my way through it while watching a movie , with the curtains closed and the lights off .

Normally I empty the bag into a bowl , but that day I didn't bother :o
    If I had emptied it out , I would probably have seen them :)

Google "microwave popcorn weevil recall" for info about the recall .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Just found this list. Dont own anything on it but i do have some other piece of shoite from them ill probably try to bring back

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/productRecalls.htm

Just found this list. Dont own anything on it but i do have some other piece of shoite from them ill probably try to bring back

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/productRecalls.htm

See what I mean.....about 1/3 of these relate to products for kids!!! No wonder I've gone grey!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

First JAMS LP - 1987 What The F*ck Is Going On?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Duggy747 wrote: »

And now, we all must suffer.:D

Can we sue your parents and/or the hospital? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

You can also keep an eye on the US FDA Recalls here:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

But you have to bear in mind that they are subject to "interventions" a la big corporations:

http://www.groovygreen.com/groove/?p=1609

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Pandora2 wrote: »
    See what I mean.....about 1/3 of these relate to products for kids!!! No wonder I've gone grey!!!

They're probably extra cautious with those, trying to avoid the wrath of the 'think of the children' crowd.

They're probably extra cautious with those, trying to avoid the wrath of the 'think of the children' crowd.

And today all Children's Tylenol has been recalled in the US.......:eek: True, saw it on a news feed a little while ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Bought this jee vee jee

LOL

Advertisement