Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach new trigonometry?

• 23-02-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks, just finished the paper 2 maths mock at HL this week and I'm a bit worried. Though technically I 'know' all the trigonometry stuff, I'm completely lost as to how to use it for the last question on the paper where goalposts and roof design and any number of stupid project mathsy ****e gets involve. The questions are nothing like the ones in the book (Concise Maths) and there aren't many samples or solutions to look at. Is there an approach to studying these? It seems likes its either you either see it on the day or you don't :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I'm inclined to agree.. Got a question about rugby goalposts on my mock. I knew it was the cos rule but couldn't find the link! Fairly discouraging when you know that you know the topic like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Agreed! I wouldnt worry too much, it seems everyone is having the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Howdy folks, just finished the paper 2 maths mock at HL this week and I'm a bit worried. Though technically I 'know' all the trigonometry stuff, I'm completely lost as to how to use it for the last question on the paper where goalposts and roof design and any number of stupid project mathsy ****e gets involve. The questions are nothing like the ones in the book (Concise Maths) and there aren't many samples or solutions to look at. Is there an approach to studying these? It seems likes its either you either see it on the day or you don't :(

For a start, it's often a good idea to draw a diagram of what the situation looks like. It usually involves a triangle and when you have put in everything that's given in the question, you'll probably see what trigonometry to sue to solve it - sine rule, cosine rule, tan, Pythagoras, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

My approach to any 3D questions such as above is to draw diagrams, always. If you can't draw 3D diagrams or find them difficult to understand, draw 2d diagrams of individual sections! Then just go through everything.

Do you have any angles?

Are the shapes regular(e.g. isosceles triangle has 2 equal sides and 2 equal angles!)"

Cosine rule/sine rule.

sine = opposite/hypotenuse, etc.

any other hints given in writing not included in given diagram.

Then just go through it slowly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Know all the formulae and rules etc. and then practice,practice and even more practice

• Advertisement
Advertisement