Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom have ripped me off....

Options
  • 23-02-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have been an eircom customer for years. I've always thought their bills were too high, but because I live in such a rural area I've found It's almost impossible to get a phone and broadband service. Over the last year (about) i have called eircom so many times, asking about my bills, why they are so high etc and if there are any other packages I can go on to make it cheaper for me. I am disabled so money is very tight for me and I explained this to them. I really wish I could hear all the phone calls I have made to them. I was told, everytime I called, that I was indeed on the cheapest packages. I got a bill sometime in December and was so shocked that it was over €260...
    I decided enough was enough and decided to call eircom, cancel my account and settle up with them (I would have to lend the money to do so)...I already am only able to pay weekly at the post office as it is.
    When I called eircom i was (once again) sent around the houses, put through to several different people and eventually spoke to a lady. She told me the following:

1: I was not on the cheapest broadband package. She could see on her computer I hardly use the internet and wondered why i was on such a high package, I should have been told on my other phone calls I could be put on a smaller package.
    2: Eircom didn't want to loose me as a customer so she said she would downgrade my broadband for free (no downgrade charge)
    She also said she would put a barring on my phone so mobiles and premium calls couldnt be made (my call charges were high due to mobile calls)...and i also wouldn't be charged for this either.
    3: she told me I could be put on a package for €48. I couldn't believe this! why wasn't I told this before! I asked her why and she didn't know. She made out she was totally on my side and understood completley my situation. She really didn't want me to leave eircom. She said to me this €48 was for TWO months. It included all fees (VAT, line rental, etc etc)

I took her name and said goodbye. My friend was sat next to me and heard the whole conversation. I was shaking. Why wasn't I told this before!

I decided to call back to go over this again, make sure that it really was €48 euro every 2 months, and that is all i would be charged, I was told "Yes, it is correct, don't worry the price is correct" Because i was speaking to a different person, i explained the whole situation again, and he told me eircom was so sorry this happened, they didnt want to loose me as a customer, and as a gesture of good will, they would also deduct €5 from this €48 for the next 6 months.

I Think you know what I did, I stayed with eircom. So today I nearly had a heart attack when I recieved a bill for €315!!!

I WAS charged for the broadband downgrade.
    I WAS charged for the mobile/premium barring put on my line.
    I am STILL on the same call bundle.
    I was also charged other "miscallanious" charges that i dont understand.

I called eircom today and was told i was quoted €48 but this was a monthly charge! This is a lie! I wish I could listen to the calls i made before. I called back twice to make sure she ment it would be €48 for 2 months, and was told it was...and there would be no hidden charges, this INCLUDED VAT etc.

How can I listen to the calls I made?
    Eircom are wrong, they coaxed me into staying with them then hit me with this. I want to leave eircom but want to make sure i have grounds to dispute these charges...I need to hear the lady on the phone call...

I'm sorry I have written such a long letter, I am just so upset, how can they get away with this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

You have a right to a request recorded calls under the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. It's around €7 to request this but once you have the recordings you can use this to prove what you were told and get a refund etc. Seperately You would be best to email eircom customer care with a "formal complaint" but also get in touch with comreg if eircom don't resolve this within ten working days of receipt of your formal complaint. Cc comreg in the email: consumerline@comreg.ie

Get the recordings and stick to your guns, good luck

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing_Your_Personal_Information/14.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pillar_Citizen

Sounds just like another eircom mess where the customer gets to take the pain. I would advise you to contact Comreg and the National Consumer Agency with all the details and get the issue logged and dealt with by them.

The more we the consumer get these bodies to sit up and take notice of what is going on with Eircom the better chance we have of getting these pricing and service issues addressed.

Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In using the suggested draft as per the web link provided by 4ndroid emphasise that you want all recordings held by Eircom and not just the recent ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Meanwhile pay them nothing.

On point 2. This is grossly misleading. eircom will ALWAYS charge to put a Mobile Block in place ( around €25) and will charge every bill for keeping it in place at around €5 a month for maintaining the block. Premium number blocks are free to implement and free per month.

"2: She also said she would put a barring on my phone so mobiles and premium calls couldnt be made (my call charges were high due to mobile calls)...and i also wouldn't be charged for this either."

As you were negotiating a contract with them the call must have been recorded and all of these detaiils will be audible in the recording...or else there is no new contract.

Who is making these seemingly uncontrollable mobile or premium calls that are obviously a source of considerable distress to you, which is causing the most grief. ??

Advertisement