Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Fantasy a decadent genre?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think at this stage its obvious that he's something out of a fantasy novel himself. Although this film he starred in could qualify as Sci-Fi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

mcgovern wrote: »
    I think at this stage its obvious that he's something out of a fantasy novel himself. Although this film he starred in could qualify as Sci-Fi...

You think his eloquent postulation was merely a pretense for trollery? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

al28283 wrote: »
    You think his eloquent postulation was merely a pretense for trollery? :P

Well it's either that or he actually thinks he has a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

mcgovern wrote: »
    Well it's either that or he actually thinks he has a point.

Nah, he's just unappreciated in his time, just like Socrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ah but there is a scientific explanation for the force, it is the energy field generated by all living things which possess midichlorians. Furthermore this is why The Empire Strikes Back is inherently superior to LOTR. Anyone who thinks LOTR is better needs to watch Star Wars again. The line "No, I am your father!" is never going to be bettered by "the hobbits are going to Isengaard!" Such pathos, such greek epicness, imagine watching Star Wars in 1980, they didn't have CG back then. Think of how utterly mindblowing it must have been to hear that line delivered by James Earl Jones set against an epic backdrop. Nothing surpasses it yet. I recently saw the film and the effects haven't dated at all, ok some shots do look dated, but by and large it holds its own to LOTR very well, in fact the effects are better because there is more artistry and technique in them, the ship models and the lighting are incredible. The only good fantasy films which are exceptions to my rule are Conan the Barbarian (1982) which can be considered a philosophical allegory and Your Highness which wins out because its so damned funny.

Star wars is an action adventure fantasy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Here is my postulation. Fantasy is decadent as it engenders a return to the era of feudal serfdom/the ancient world with magic mixed in to provide an escapist reality. Sci Fi is better than Fantasy as it relies on logic for explaining the workings of its universe. It envisions the future, whether positive or negative, takes current and potential human issues and contends with them in philosophical/policial/ethical contexts. Fantasy can do this too but fantasy is more about pure escapism and a return to the past. Fantasy is similar to Fascism, as Mussolini basically wanted to create the Roman Empire again, to return to a past of oppression and slavery. Ergo fantasy=bad, sci fi=good.
    I preferred Steven Erikson's stuff when it made sfa sense to me at all. It gave it a dreamlike quality. When he started explaining what was happening it lost some of the magic for me. Logic isn't always desirable. Pure escapism can be very rewarding. Didactic fiction can be painful. Nobokov is pretty well regarded as a literary figure and he dispsied didactic fiction.

But fantasy can make all sorts of points in all sorts of ways. Animal Farm is fantasy. It had loads to say.

The vast majority of religious literature would be in the genre of fantasy, and it has loads to say for itself. Religious literature as in the christian bible etc I mean.

Lots of philosophical novels are fantasy...Demian is fantasy as far as I remember for example.

meh I could go on but clearly fantasy has laods to offer as a genre. There is a load of really bad fantasy that gets published though alright. But that's a different matter really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sci Fi is better than Fantasy as it relies on logic for explaining the workings of its universe. It envisions the future, whether positive or negative, takes current and potential human issues and contends with them in philosophical/policial/ethical contexts.

That's (IMO) a definition of what (hard, "good" if you prefer) science fiction is about, what sets it apart from other kinds of fiction
    Fantasy can do this too but fantasy is more about pure escapism and a return to the past

It's sort of unfair to say fantasy is "bad" mainly because it's not like hard science fiction!
    Fantasy is similar to Fascism, as Mussolini basically wanted to create the Roman Empire again, to return to a past of oppression and slavery. Ergo fantasy=bad, sci fi=good.

you're messing now:pac:

Advertisement