Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Year Working Holiday Visa

Options
  • 23-02-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,

Thought I would start a separate thread rather than having to trawl through 800+ posts specifically for those who are applying for their 3rd IEC visa back to back.

I personally came to Vancouver in August 2010 on the last year of the USIT visas and am now on my first IEC visa which expires in August 2012.

Has anyone actually gotten their LOI for their third visa?

I'm starting to get a bit worried as it seems like they are starting to reject people to prevent them from staying for three consecutive years.

Any feedback and/or experience from anyone who is in a similar position would be appreciated! Im sure im not the only one in this situation!

Oh and just to add I'm on the cusp of the 18th month requirement - I got my confirmation of receipt of february 15th, my 18th months is up at the end of this month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531158

There's a tiny bit about it in that thread. One of the posters got their application for a 3rd visa turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

As I've said many times on these boards, I'm in the same boat

Came over in Jan 2010 for eight months, went home in October, came back last August.

Currently applying for third year

I've been in Canada 15 months of the last three years

They've received my app, just waiting for more news

My mate is currently re-applying, and is over the 18 month limit, so he's understandably a bit nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

you can get a 3rd IEC visa??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

There's a bit of confusion about it. The IEC visa scheme only came in in 2011 but it looks from the IEC rules that people that went to Canada on the scheme that existed before the IEC can still get 2 IEC visas (1 USIT visa pre 2011 and 2 IEC visas). It looks for the moment you can't get your 3 visas back to back though with the 18 month residency rule. I'm interested to know how it turns out, I went to Canada on the last year of the USIT visa so I'm interested to find out if I can get 2 IEC visas at some stage in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Calgarian

Firstly, fook this thing for timing out, forcing me to type this out twice :(

Calm.

I'm caught up in the middle of this mess at the moment.

I've got a great permanent job, with a well respected company.
    I've recently been given the opportunity to invest in the company, which I am in the process of doing.

It was agreed when I moved company, that they'd organize my LMO. They began this process a month ago, and had everything in order, ready to submit, until the government returned their verdict on what the "average" wage should be for someone with my qualifications/experience.

This is where it gets complicated. The Alberta average is coming out @ $88,000/yr. Needless to say, I'm not on that. The problem is, is that the sector I'm in is covered under the Oil & Gas blanket, which drives up the average.

This figure doesn't include bonuses, or returns based on ownership, which is how I'm suffering.

At the moment, the solicitor is recommending that I try to apply for the 2nd IEC Visa (which I know I won't get as I'm here 20 months). Recommendations were made as to how I should fill out the forms, which are slightly different to how I applied for the first IEC Visa (following my USIT Visa)

I've sent my documentation home, to be met with my Garda form, and sent from there to London.

If this fails, which I've a feeling it will, my company are going with Plan B, which means trying an alternative NOC Code on my LMO, and adjusting my salary to include expected bonus' etc. This is a tax mess.

Failing Option B, there's option C, D, and E, but those are the Solicitor's steps to take, not mine directly.

I'm just shy of the 2 years experience needed for PR, and due to the twats at the American border (while I was returning from a weekend trip); my visa runs out in May, instead of June, which would actually be 2 full years.

Chances are I'll be home for a few weeks, in which case I'll still be employed, just on "leave", in order to reach the 2 years experience.

This also has risks, as I'm very unsure as to whether or not I can return to work while "in process", if my visa had run out before initiating the PR cycle....?

Messy...depressing....alcoholic making bullshiiiiiiiit.

I can speak English
    I'm educated
    I am dedicated, and work 60+ hrs a week, despite being salary.
    I've got more experience than most people my age.

It's not fair that other countries seem to walk in effortlessly without these attributes.

WHY IS IT SO COMPLICATED?
    I'm very very angry.
    If I'm not careful, and this goes badly, and I lose this great opportunity, I'll be sent home to ZERO dole, ZERO income, and very few possibilities.

Sorry about the rant :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

Oh Calgarian, I feel your pain. What makes it so much worse than it sounds is the lack of control or certainty this situation creates. The whole visa process is clouded in obfuscation but going home to no job, income, health insurance or dole is a terrible prospect. From experience, all I can say is don’t work too hard, if it’s all for nought, at least you get paid for the work you’ve done and you enjoyed yourself. These visas are temporary so don’t invest too much in Canada if they don’t want you to stay (it’s their loss too). Live for the moment, I’ve stopped working late and angling for that promotion as I know that once my visa expires I’ll only be walking away with whatever I have on me. PR will take too long and the company has a policy of not engaging in the visa process. Your situation may be different but I find the whole process so frustrating I couldn’t help but comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

Feeling the pain, so frustrating, all you can do is wait and there is nobody to speak to about it. They won't take phone calls and if you e-mail you don't get a reply. Disaster! Application was sent the 2nd week of January, got an e-mail saying I would know in 2 weeks, that was nearly 4 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 L_E_M

Just thought I would provide an update for those of you waiting on your third WHV

Application sent: January 14th
    Confirmation of receipt: February 15th
    Conditional acceptance: March 7th

I was over the 18th months on Feb 29th so delighted to have got my conditional acceptance! Ran to the bank first thing this morning and sent off my wire!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 L_E_M

Just to let you all know- it can be done! Just got my LOI!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Just got our LOIs there 20 mins ago, came over in 2010 with Usit scumbags, got the IEC last year and applied Jan 13 this year for our 2nd IEC visa, 3rd in total.

We were about 3 weeks away from the 18 month rule, my passport was due up a year from Feb 12 2012, prícks in the IEC claimed they didnt receive it till Feb 6th, despite Royal Mail confirming receipt on Jan 16th.

Had a request for payment Feb 21st, they emailed March 12th saying they couldn't find it.

Emailed the the AIB Transfer Payment screenshot March 14th, they emailed back 15th confirming receipt of same, on to the next stage.

LOI received March 23rd.

Not to give anyone false hope but we were as good as packing our bags for home come August but got it tonight, despite all the fúck-acting.

If you've been careful with you're application & are within the parameters you should be alright, the worst thing you can do is read half the nonsense that's posted on here and start doubting everything.

Now to celebrate with a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc & the finest of Kush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Just got our LOIs there 20 mins ago, came over in 2010 with Usit scumbags, got the IEC last year and applied Jan 13 this year for our 2nd IEC visa, 3rd in total.

We were about 3 weeks away from the 18 month rule, my passport was due up a year from Feb 12 2012, prícks in the IEC claimed they didnt receive it till Feb 6th, despite Royal Mail confirming receipt on Jan 16th.

Had a request for payment Feb 21st, they emailed March 12th saying they couldn't find it.

Emailed the the AIB Transfer Payment screenshot March 14th, they emailed back 15th confirming receipt of same, on to the next stage.

LOI received March 23rd.

Not to give anyone false hope but we were as good as packing our bags for home come August but got it tonight, despite all the fúck-acting.

If you've been careful with you're application & are within the parameters you should be alright, the worst thing you can do is read half the nonsense that's posted on here and start doubting everything.

Now to celebrate with a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc & the finest of Kush.

Nice one, that worked out well for you...would have been a nightmare to have been rejected for being barely over the 18months....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Calgarian wrote: »
    It was agreed when I moved company, that they'd organize my LMO. They began this process a month ago, and had everything in order, ready to submit, until the government returned their verdict on what the "average" wage should be for someone with my qualifications/experience.

This is where it gets complicated. The Alberta average is coming out @ $88,000/yr. Needless to say, I'm not on that. The problem is, is that the sector I'm in is covered under the Oil & Gas blanket, which drives up the average.

Hey there. I just wanted to let you know that when i did my LMO i had a similar problem. They reccommended a senior salary for a mid-level job. My employer got back to them and showed them that they had consistently payed the same salary to previous people in my role. And that in our company their recommended salary would be for someone with 10 years experience...
    They then negotiated that maybe my role was more suited to the title of Construction Manager rather than Engineer and the LMO was granted at the original salary but slightly different job title / description.

I would advise that if they had someone in your role previously they show the salary they payed to prove they are not low-balling.
    Also get on that NOC list and see if there are any other Job Titles / occupations that you could be classed as.
    My HR manager said that they were quite accommodating in trying to find the solution.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

I got my conditional acceptance recently for my 3rd year. Quick question about the payment. Im getting my mother to do it from home with my WTN referenced in the payment. When i attach the IMM1295 to the email, do i also attach the scanned copy of payment in the same email, or in a seperate one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 stellamcartois

Hey all!

I am also over the 18month mark and have been conditionally accepted so it can happen. Happened to a few friends of mine aswell- 2 of whom have their LOI now. Anyone hear of people being rejected after payment was made? They are a shower of a-holes though (IEC) cannot believe the carry on this year. It is absolutely ridiculous. And I thought USIT was bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

stellamcartois,

How far over the 18 months were you? Can you give us a timeline? That could be a glimmer of hope for me...

Danteryu wrote: »
    stellamcartois,

How far over the 18 months were you? Can you give us a timeline? That could be a glimmer of hope for me...

I have lived in Canada for 19/20ish months in the last 3years- if it were me and I were completely over the 18months I would exaggerate holidays/trips to Ireland if I needed to clock up time spent at home- obv not endorsing this- just saying!

That sounds really similar to me actually!
    I got to Canada on June 25th 2010, and have been here since, no trips back home. My application for the IEC was sent February 6th this year, so I'm at around 19 months and 12 days or so in Canada. Do you think I'll be good?

I wonder if they go by the date it's filled in or the date it was received?

Danteryu wrote: »
    That sounds really similar to me actually!
    I got to Canada on June 25th 2010, and have been here since, no trips back home. My application for the IEC was sent February 6th this year, so I'm at around 19 months and 12 days or so in Canada. Do you think I'll be good?

I wonder if they go by the date it's filled in or the date it was received?

Who knows! Id imagine when they receive it though- I actually hate them! I am just scared of getting rejected in the final stage now as a few people have. I have paid etc so should hear in the next few wks. If I were you I would apply anyway! They are idiots and obv don't know what they are doing- no harm in chancing it! :)

Yeah, I have an application waiting, it was sent on February 6th, and I got the acknowledgement email on March 15 (!). It said in the email I should know in 2 weeks, so that would be this Thursday...let's hope!

Advertisement