Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car?

• 23-02-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I'm male, 27 and on the lookout for my first car.

I am applying for a second fresh provisional licence. The first lapsed about five years ago and I never really drove. though I've no driving experience I was insured on my brother's car for about a year.

The thing is I'm on the lookout for a car that isn't too boy racerish but is also a decent size. I'm 6'4" so squeezing into a fiesta doesn't appeal to me.

I was wondering, owing to being in the over 25 bracket does that mean I can maybe get away with a decent sized coupé or saloon without being hammered by insurance? What engine size could I get away with?

I was thinking along the lines of maybe an audi a4, bmw3, alfa romeo 156, honda civic or even a ford capri ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Hate to be the one to tell you but you will probably be hammered on insurance as a first car. I'm over 30 with 10 yrs claim free and I'm paying through the nose.

If a fiesta is not your cup of tea, look at astras, focus etc. I wouldn't look at anything over a 1600cc at the very most.

Bm's/alfas/audis will hit your wallet hard...... Especially on a first car.

You can't use the named driver experience to negotiate a discount as the insurance expired. Named driver (and ncb) are only recognised when there is no break in the insurance cover.

Good luck on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Start off by shopping around for insurance on a couple of different kinds of car. Ring every ins co, and a good selection of brokers - nobody else can tell you what you'll pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tipdrinker

ok well the cars I mentioned above can all be gotten with a 1.6l engine. I don't know if that makes a difference?

tipdrinker wrote: »
    ok well the cars I mentioned above can all be gotten with a 1.6l engine. I don't know if that makes a difference?
    But the insurance companies do. Ring them and find out.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

tipdrinker wrote: »

A4's, 3's and 156 etcs will be very slow and sluggish on a 1600cc due to size/weight imo. Insurance companies can and will target specific makes and models. Anan1 is right. Call the insurance companies and get quotes on the models that take your interest.

Take a test drive in a few of them also. At the end of the day, it will be you that has to live with the car. You may end up ruling out one or two of your initial choices. As long as you are :) with your purchase, that's all that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tipdrinker

cheers all sound advice. Went on this site and put in a few cars (some with much larger than 1.6 engines) and was getting around 600-800 for quotes. Is it me or does that sound far too small?

Limbo123 wrote: »
    A4's, 3's and 156 etcs will be very slow and sluggish on a 1600cc due to size/weight imo.
    A4s and 3 series yes, but the Alfa 156 1.6 is actually quite fizzy and eager. It does need mechanical sympathy and care though, if the OP isn't really into cars then I mightn't be so quick to recommend it.

Advertisement