Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paracord?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Why is paracord so essential? Probably a very noob question but I am a noob.
    I only saw this forum about 2 weeks ago but since then I have started my collection.
    I have a 5l bottle of water, getting another one tomorrow, about 10 tins of various food, also add some more tomorrow, a first aid kit plus a few extra things I picked up in the chemist, some of my diabetes medication and insulin needles etc, a small led torch, a tin of baby milk, batteries and just ordered 2 whistles with attached compass and 2 firestarter flints from deal extreme.
    I saw paracord on there for about $7 but I dont know what it is for yet.
    My wife thinks I have gone crazy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Get the right strength and the possibilities are huge. Everything from replacement shoe laces, holding up a waterproof sheet to make a tent, snaring, holding on a splint, repairing backpack straps, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Endless possabilities! The above is a drop in the water. You will always find a use for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

It's just the most versatile cordage you can carry. With a little knowledge and skill it can be put to endless uses.

I alos like to use it for decorative knot work as it ties great, tidy knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Paracord is a good strong rope, but the secret lies inside. There are seven seperate strands in proper paracord, these may be individually dyed or not, but they can be used for fishing, flossing teeth, snares, a wide variety of purposes. This is why paracord is so prized in the bushcraft community.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My wife thinks I have gone crazy!

Welcome, welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Paracord so called as it is the lines used in a parachute to link the canopy to the harness.[If you hadnt guessed this!:p]
    Just make sure you get the right stuff.There is a lot of fake rubbish out there that wouldnt hold up to nothing,as I discoverd while using it to suspend for gutting a deer recently.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Where is a reputable place to buy some and what is a fair price per unit length.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Endicots in Devon have a good reputation amongst bush-crafters in the U.K.

Their para-cord in the cheapest I've seen in a while.
    http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=135&products_id=2454

They also have a handy 'bargains' and camo netting section too. :)

When buying from these types of U.K. stores I ask the to send by regular post / small package post, as this can make a huge saving.
    Just check the price on the Royal Mail site for weights and sizes beforehand.
    http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Endicots in Devon have a good reputation amongst bush-crafters in the U.K.

Their para-cord in the cheapest I've seen in a while.
    http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=135&products_id=2454

They also have a handy 'bargains' and camo netting section too. :)

When buying from these types of U.K. stores I ask the to send by regular post / small package post, as this can make a huge saving.
    Just check the price on the Royal Mail site for weights and sizes beforehand.
    http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder
    That doesn't look at all like paracord. It looks like the cheap knockoff stuff they sell in the shops:
    accs_cord_cargo_short_2.jpg

You can see the frayed end there, if it was real paracord the internal threads would be poking out, which is why you need to heat seal the stuff when you cut it. This is what real paracord looks like:

7-strand-550-paracord-2.jpg

Once its cut those start coming out by themselves under elastic pressure. That other rope looks thin and flat as well, I'd bet its knockoff. I got a thousand feet of it from Red Flare Kits, and that is the real deal.

Weird how dealextreme does free worldwide shipping and these UK outlets charge an arm and a leg even though we're right next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

You're right, it does look like the knock-off stuff. That's probably why it's so cheap. I should have made a closer inspection.

I've used builders twine, the proper stuff from builders merchants - not the stuff in DIY shops like Woodies and B&Q, before when making basha's in the woods. It's very strong, light and thin. Pity it's white... As it's so thin, you also have to put something between it and the bark so as not to damage the tree.

As you said, it's amazing how Dealextreme can post here for free, and UK company's can't. Even though they post to N.I. for free. I know that's because of prices set by 'local' postal services and the Royal Mail, but, it's still a bit of a sh1tter... :)

My ex-MOD goretex bivi cost £12 + £15 P&P. Which was better than the P&P marked on the site as £30 :eek:

• Advertisement

Is the deal extreme para cord any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Make or buy a paracord braclet. Very handy in tight situations.

http://www.raems.com/550_cord_bracelet.pdf

Better to use plastic clips.

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    My ex-MOD goretex bivi cost £12 + £15 P&P. Which was better than the P&P marked on the site as £30 :eek:
    Crazy really. I'd expect that from suppliers in the states, but not the UK.
    Is the deal extreme para cord any good?
    Certainly looks the part!

sku_105014_2.jpg

But unless it says "certified" in there somewhere its anyone's guess really. Quality is important for something as basic as a good rope.

How much was rhe postage on the 1000ft paracord doc? Wouldnt mind gettin me a spool

How much was rhe postage on the 1000ft paracord doc? Wouldnt mind gettin me a spool
    I bought a load of other stuff from them at the same time, so the shipping wasn't seperated out, I'd say maybe $20? All in it should work out at around 20c per meter; nice to have a good supply handy.

From a few rough calculations the paracord on dealextreme is about half the strength of the red flare stuff but also less than half price when shipping is taken into account. My budget is fairly tight these days so would the dealextreme stuff be worth it till I can afford a better bit of cord?

From a few rough calculations the paracord on dealextreme is about half the strength of the red flare stuff but also less than half price when shipping is taken into account. My budget is fairly tight these days so would the dealextreme stuff be worth it till I can afford a better bit of cord?
    550 paracord from redflare has a 550lb test strength, the ones on dx are more like 300lbs, the prices appear to be the same though?

Its just the postage that sets them apart pricewise, I think it was about $15 for postage for 100ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Bought mine from this lot and it has 7 strands peeling out from the inside.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hunters-Camping-and-Bushcraft

Got four colours and 300ft for 20 quid icluding postage. ask the seller to combine the postage if buying more than one item, works out cheaper but you guys probably know all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Bought mine from this lot and it has 7 strands peeling out from the inside.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hunters-Camping-and-Bushcraft

Got four colours and 300ft for 20 quid icluding postage. ask the seller to combine the postage if buying more than one item, works out cheaper but you guys probably know all this.
    I also got mine on eBay ill post a link tomorrow it was cheap and the real deal

• Advertisement

grapeape wrote: »
    I also got mine on eBay ill post a link tomorrow it was cheap and the real deal
    That dealextreme stuff would have had me fooled from the photos only they came out and actually said it was just a little over half as strong as real paracord. Its hard to tell really.

I went for 100ft of the ebay one, good price including postage, less than €10. Now to try making one of those bracelets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Check out instructables.com for the instructions.They have a bunch of designs for bracelets/watch straps..

Hmm,be a cool way to identify yourself amongst others that you are a survivalist/preppie by a paracord braclet/watchband of a certain colour or weave.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Check out instructables.com for the instructions.They have a bunch of designs for bracelets/watch straps..

Hmm,be a cool way to identify yourself amongst others that you are a survivalist/preppie by a paracord braclet/watchband of a certain colour or weave.;)

Recently made a dog lead (2 double strands and alternate half hitches) not happy with it as its a bit to stiff but one way of carrying a whole load of paracord.

There used to be years ago a style of climbing harness belt that was made up of rope so if necessary you could take it apart and use the rope. I was thinking it would be good if someone could make a belt buckle and a few tape guides that allowed you to create a paracord belt but without all the f%%king knots. I can't help thinking that paracord thats been tightly knotted is never going to be as strong as virgin cord off the reel or wound losely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I'm pretty sure I also spotted a paracord belt on instructables too. Would definitely hold a lot more than a bracelet. Anyone want to be the first to make paracord trousers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I'm pretty sure I also spotted a paracord belt on instructables too. Would definitely hold a lot more than a bracelet. Anyone want to be the first to make paracord trousers?

The best paracord belt one I could find was this one http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Paracord-Rescue-Belt/
    (Looks like tunisian crochet? Once untied at one end should just pull out) but not exactly what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I get mine as well as the buckles from http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/550-gsa-compliant-paracord-85-c.asp

or from the US for different colours or full spools

http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?category=6

Don't buy premade bracelets, they are a doddle to make. Look for Stormdrane on youtube or "King Cobra" weave for instructions.

You can often see my black and blaze orange one in my videos and photos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mick7_62

Proper para cord has seven internal strands, one of which is a different color (usually OD Green or yellow). If it lacks this quality it is not "spec" cord, so it was made for the civilian market, not for government procurement and likely junk.

I'm an ex-paratrooper, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ We are not making parachutes, though! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    ^ We are not making parachutes, though! :D
    Yeah but we still want decent kit tho!!

Advertisement