Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paracord?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mick7_62

Esel wrote: »
    ^ We are not making parachutes, though! :D

And I don't ride them anymore, but I still want para cord (a.k.a. 550 cord) to be rated to hold 550 lbs. Nothing worse than rubbish cordage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Mick7_62 wrote: »
    And I don't ride them anymore, but I still want para cord (a.k.a. 550 cord) to be rated to hold 550 lbs. Nothing worse than rubbish cordage.
    Very true, but you can get certified 550 without the coloured strand though.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Very true, but you can get certified 550 without the coloured strand though.

I've seen that around. Old habits die hard, though, and I just don't trust it. Without the colored strand, it is not eligible for government purchase, and by default isn't para cord. Just 550 rated cord. As a paratrooper, when you get into the harness, at least one cord/riser tie must be left frayed to check for the strand. If it isn't there, the chute must be cut away from the risers and repacked.

BTW: I'm not intentionally misspelling color, it's how I learned to spell it in the US. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Like this?

http://goinggear.com/survival/paracord-cordage/8-strand-550-paracord-foliage-green-acu-gray-100-hank.html

My cordage is certified Milspec but with no extra coloured line?

Blackedelweiss, let me know your wrist size and colour preference and I'll make you a king cobra wrist band. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the post next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Mick7_62 wrote: »
    Proper para cord has seven internal strands, one of which is a different color (usually OD Green or yellow). If it lacks this quality it is not "spec" cord, so it was made for the civilian market, not for government procurement and likely junk.

I'm an ex-paratrooper, BTW.

All American or Screaming Eagle?:confused:;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    All American or Screaming Eagle?:confused:;)

Neither. 20th Engineer Brigade/ 37th Engineer Battalion/ B Company. Direct Engineer support for the entire 18th Airborne Corps.

Unfortunately, my unit has been deactivated and replaced by the 307th engineer battalion (formerly of the 82nd airborne).

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

427157_2576188058770_1676410521_1621110_1793900394_n.jpg

Green and yellow neon, pink, black and green all use two pieces of cord about 3' each side, with emergency whistle for driving Dad mad! :D

Black king cobra on plain fastex buckle, about 18' of cord in a single strand. It'd be a bugger to untie but can be done. Pop the burnt seal ends out of the weave and unpick the whole thing. :eek:

These are off to he post office now, should be there by Tuesday next week? Maybe the Bank Holiday will delay some more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

First attempt at paracord braclet. Took about 15 mins to make and has 3m of cord. Its a bit thick but its grand and it fits my arm fine

b78327eb.jpg

a8e32140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Just to clarify the Milspec paracord is colour coded so the military can identify who supplied it in case a chute failed. Each company has their colours they put into their cord, unless the cord has the colours the military will not use it. Civilian grade cord does not require this, also 'real' paracord is graded to hold 550lbs is made of nylon. 'cheap' imatation cord is made of polyester with a polypropalene core which makes it a bit more ridgid. When burned the 'cheap' stuff turns to a black goo the 'real' cord will melt into a blob and will turn a straw colour. It you have to pieces of cord one Real and the other fake when you burn them the fake is more pungent smelling and when you cut them the real cord will start to unravel/explode on it's own the fake won't. If anyone wantsto see what I mean I'll try to put up a video later in the week oh and one last thing you'll know/remember the diffeence when the polyestrer passes through your hand at speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement