Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've bought some seed spuds, now what?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

From B&Q, I bought 4 bags of Desiree main crop, two bags each of Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin. Complete impulse buy, and I don’t know what I’m doing lol.

So here’s a photo of one of the 4 bags of Desiree below. Did I do wrong buying ones with shoots like that? This bag has the biggest shoots of all the Desiree.

P1040271.jpg

Here is one of the two Arran Pilot bags below. When I got home I noticed a whiff, one spud was red rotten. Some of the others had some moisture on them, which I presume was from the rotten one. I’ve thrown that one away. Can I keep the others? Should I wash the moisture off them?

P1040272.jpg

The Pentland Javelin bags were also quite stalky. I guess this is because in B&Q they were right beside the door (lots of light) and the place was quite warm.

P1040273.jpg

What are my options here regarding the stalky ones? Leave them on, rub them off? I won’t have a place ready for planting any spuds for a week at least, how should I store them?

If I haven’t completely fouled up here, what should I expect in terms of a harvest? (I know, I’m jumping to the end, have to prepare a plot, avoid blight, and I guess a lot of other things!).

Advice greatly appreciated,

ATB,

John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Leave the sprouts on, give them as much light as practical. (full day) Outside, but has to be frost free. I've mine in polytunnel at moment and will cover them if there is a deep frost due.
    The sprouts are quite good apart from one long, I see on the small seed.
    The light strengthens the sprouts and keeps them short. They grow long looking for the light.

Don't wash. The dampness will dry off, and while it's possible that infection may have spread, I think they'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Get a couple of wooden/plastic trays and put your seed in them, leave them out tomorrow to dry off. Then put them in a cool, dry, dark place and pest proof. I use the shed. Put a sack or cardboard over them if you think your going to get frost. I would knock off the large buds if your pressed for time. Desiree as the pack says is main crop so you can hold off to Paddys Day for planting them. The others you can plant next week if they have decent buds. With the Desiree you could cut the large spuds in half and dip the cut surface in dry sand to help cure the wound if you want to increase the amount of seed you have. Harvest yield depends on really how you plan to plant them? Straight in the ground? Or are your planning to do a bed or drill? Plant density too plays apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

With the Desiree you could cut the large spuds in half and dip the cut surface in dry sand to help cure the wound if you want to increase the amount of seed you have.

Make sure there is at least one bud on each half though!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Start digging! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:o I have started digging, but just today, been snowed under by life!

Marked out a plot 18' x 25' roughly, stepped it. Took off the grass and rolled it up on one "trench", broke up the soil, dug it out onto the grass at side of the trench, removing stones and bracken roots (sprayed two years ago).

Tomorrow I'll get the loan of a scrawing machine, that'll help me get the grass off quicker. I put the turf rolls upside down in the bottom of the trench. I'm in two minds whether to add rotted manure to each trench, or, dig the entire plot, dig out my "planting trenches" again and just add manure to those instead.

Next "trench" I dig I'll put the soil into trench one and so on until I reach the end of the plot, then put the soil from trench one which is on the grass now, into the final trench. If any of that makes sense.

I know which is better in the long term, :o just one is a lot more work right now than the other :o:D

I've seen differing suggestions about row distance, from 18 inches apart to three feet!

I might put my earlies in at 18 inch rows and the main crop at three feet?

digging1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

old timers, I mean real old timers would never goto all this trouble. turn a single sod, lob a spud in and flip the sod over and let nature take its course

Probably true, but something will come after the spuds so might as well dig (should be "buy" in relation to buying expensive items) once and cry once :o

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

You may find your spuds will be better in ridges than trenches John.......dig another trench the other side and you will have a great deep ridge (lazy bed).

fodda wrote: »
    You may find your spuds will be better in ridges than trenches John.......dig another trench the other side and you will have a great deep ridge (lazy bed).

I'm just preparing the ground at the minute fodda, when I've dug the ground and added the manure I'll level it off again. Then I'll get to putting in the spuds, and get some seaweed for over the top of them. As they grow I'll earth them up.

Maybe that isn't the right way to go about doing it. First try at it.

I've a lot of grass taken off the top to the right of that trench today, got interrupted though so didn't have time to finish. Finish that tomorrow, then get some dung then get digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I got a load of free spud seeds last year at one of those 2 euro shop, they were left outside with a sign to take them away because they were all sprouting!!!:D straight into the ground when I got home, lovely spuds!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

thought you would be planting something that would attract foxes john :D
    im also sowing potatoes for the first time this year but im going to do it in motorbike tires and pile them up see how it goes and if its alright then i might try something similar to what your doing next year

No6 wrote: »
    I got a load of free spud seeds last year at one of those 2 euro shop, they were left outside with a sign to take them away because they were all sprouting!!!:D straight into the ground when I got home, lovely spuds!!

I bet they tasted all the better for it to!

daithi55 wrote: »
    thought you would be planting something that would attract foxes john :D
    im also sowing potatoes for the first time this year but im going to do it in motorbike tires and pile them up see how it goes and if its alright then i might try something similar to what your doing next year

Haha I have! Blackberries and other fruit bushes, canes, and tees to get in the ground yet. Got more photos to post later, on phone now.

This below is the little gizmo I borrowed to take the sod off.

20120311_111113.jpg

It's far from perfect but it made the job an awful lot easier.

20120311_111059.jpg

So back to the digging. Dug down to the rock/under soil, then tipped in a few barrows of sheep shed dung which I dug out of the shed today, 13 or 14 barrows I think altogether. Also knocked a gap in the wall for easier access to my shed. Going to put a gate there I think.

20120313_163154.jpg

Covered the dung with upturned sod.

20120313_165815.jpg

This bit took me 45 minutes and had me seriously questioning my sanity.

20120313_180457.jpg

From then on I was battling fading daylight, cleared the trailer of the final seven or eight barrow loads of dung and tipped them into that trench.

That's as far as I've gotten at this point, well fecked last night lol.

I WON'T be doing the same for the rest of the plot, going to find the laziest way of doing the main crop.

Have to take a couple of days off now to go tend other jobs, hope to do more by the weekend :)

Very good John how's yer bad back:)

Actually if i am not mistaken you can see the old ridges in that ground before you dug it over which means if this is correct that that soil will have had all the stones picked from it and be a great place to have a veg garden as the previous occupants may have done.

fodda wrote: »
    Very good John how's yer bad back:)

Actually if i am not mistaken you can see the old ridges in that ground before you dug it over which means if this is correct that that soil will have had all the stones picked from it and be a great place to have a veg garden as the previous occupants may have done.

Exactly, that's why I picked that spot. Figured the ground would have been decent for it. Loads of old ridges still on view around both farms. There was a lot more people around back then, sure there are even ridges making their way up the sides of hills and mountains in some areas.

As for my back :pac: Yeah, mini digger comes to mind.

Got a small bit done today, pegged out my lines, covered the dung with sod, then soil, then raked it all and gathered up the wheelbarrow and a bit of stones and wheelbarrow of bracken roots.

Tomorrow, at some stage as I've a lot on, I will be planting my very first spuds :D

20120316_160246.jpg

One every 12" pushed down about 6" with the chit (growing shoot) pointed upwards....... Pull weeds out when first seen before they get hold.......Any sign of frost cover plants with soil........Dont let them dry out but not much chance of that where you are........check for blight daily.....spray if you think you need too.......if you do get blight then just cut tops off ASP and leave in the ground for about 6 weeks and hope they grow larger........Do not plant spuds in that same place again for at least 2 years ......If you do get blight leave for longer and use spot for other root crops so the ground is well turned..........Leeks are great transplanted into spud beds when they have been harvested as they prefer used fertile beds so as you lift spuds you can transplant leeks same time but you should be sowing seed leeks now.

That veg spot will be perfect for carrots and parsnips next year with no stones and finely broken soil, you should get a good crop where you are with plenty of west wind so not much chance of carrot fly but plant onions and scallions as well to deter just in case.

Thanks Fodda.

Drying out... I think I should have wrapped them in life jackets.

Got my Pentland Javelins and Aaron pilots in the ground, on this wet, cold, 'orrible St. Patricks day :pac:

I'll grab some seaweed to throw on top in the next few days. Found a few more feckers of wire worms, sent them off to the big spud in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

johngalway - great photos and mighty work-you've inspired me to get out and plant a few spuds meself !
    Does anyone know if some varieties are more naturally blight resistant than others?

• Advertisement

Look up "Setanta", I have that in my head for some reason and it could be blight resistant, not 100% sure.

I use Sante and thats what some of the shops sell as organic potatoes so i guess they must be half decent if the organic growers use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

as far as blight resistance goes:

sante - good

setanta - better

sarpo mira/axona - best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

dardevle wrote: »

as far as blight resistance goes:

sante - good

setanta - better

sarpo mira/axona - best

Found Sarpo mira to be a bit waxy but certainly no blight.

Can't have it everyway I guess !!

Hi folks,

My early spud leaves seem to be taking on some odd colour. You can see what I mean from the photos below, the yellowing is actually a bit worse in person than in the photos. Few questions:

What is it?
    What causes it?
    Is it any harm?
    Can I "cure" it?

I have made a mistake I know about, I earthed up too early and too much. Took off some soil after a couple of days after I realised my error. Probably many more mistakes to make too!

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

dont think its anything to worry about probably a magnesium shortage but with cold weather lately nutrient uptake will be poor. i never had any problem earthing up at the stage the potatoes are at they have plenty of energy in the tuber so stalks will be fine

Thanks Fatoftheland,

I've had two theories fired at me from two different sites. Mag deficiency for the yellowing and lack of sunlight for the red from one. Cold weather effecting the stalks and frost damage on the leaves from another.

Epsom salts were recommended for mag deficiency and do nothing they'll come right for the cold damage. So I think I might do nothing while also applying some Epsom salts :D

Can't wait to eat my first spuds :D

It's not blight John and if it's a mineral deficiency then get down beach and put lots of that sea weed around them, should help a little maybe.

Funny you should mention blight Fodda, I was only just thinking about that today.

I gave them some Epsom salts this evening through the watering can. The seaweed is on the list as well, probably Monday before I'll get to that. Got lambs to Vector and Furze to spray tomorrow. Making hay while the sun shines as they say! I will probably stick most of the weed onto my extremely late long time chitted chancing my arm maincrop... which I don't have high hopes for but they're in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lucky sod, what a beautiful spot, nice photos. Don't forget to give your spuds a nice feed of tomato fertiliser once the flowers come, really helps them bulk up. Something I learned from early spuds in the tunnel this year.

Advertisement