Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

livestock insurance

• 24-02-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭

hi. given the amount of thieves and rustlers about and the price of livestock i wondered if anyone here isured their herd/flock against theft. who does or even can it be done??im almost afraid to put young stock on land with road frontage given their value! any experience with this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

freeze brand them

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

never thought of that . would a vet do that for me or is it difficult??? also it might prevent changing tags and selling them in the mart but would it deter unscrupulous farmers/butchers/factories from buying /slaughtering them?close to the border here and any amount of roads they could get away!even if they caught the thieves im not gonna get my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

FBD??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

we used to insure pedigrees, covered for all eventualities. claimed once when a bull got an abcess and had to get a bullet. Not exatly sure whether commercials can be insured or whether the cost versus the risk would be viable. Not too far off the border here and we are making sure all calves are at least troublesome to catch. A neighbour lost a couple last year but it seems to be sheep round here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

fbd will insure them for breaking and damage done etc but not theft. i gathered it wouldnt be worth it unless twas a pedigree animal worth a ball of money.
    look into freeze branding i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I have my large herd insured for breaking out and damage, but im on the side of a fairly busy road. I think its 1% of there value or something like that. 100€ a year wount fix a wing mirror. I also got a fencing contractor to put up all new wire along the road boundary and i lock my road gates. (i use the padlocks were i have 5 padlocks and 1 key opens them all.

Advertisement