Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another new edition!!!

• 24-02-2012 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Does anyone in the Dept of Education have power to stop companies releasing new editions of textbooks???

Im my first year French class, I have half with a new edition and half with the old one. The page numbers are totally different as is a lot of the content.

I got an email this morning just to let me know that the 2nd/3rd year book has now been revised too. So that's something for me to look forward to come September.....

Not only the inconvenience for teachers, but these are expensive books in this climate. It just seems like an unnecessary money-making racket by publishers to force parents to buy their books rather than get second-hand copies!

Sorry if this came across like a rant! It wasn't supposed to :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Totally agree, rant away! I thought this had been stopped, obviously not!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I still use some of the text books I used myself at school in the 70s with my classes.:D
    The publishers must hate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

If there hasn't been a chnage to the syllabus or exams, then the 'old' textbook should be fine. Maybe get a new edition for yourself to see if there are any new ideas for teaching parts of the course. Some of the new books also come with a CD or a link to an online site with more material on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The old textbook probably is fine, but how do you make sure the whole class has obtained the same edition?

Advertisement