Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch provider

• 24-02-2012 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Im currently with IBB with a 3mb connection costing €49 pm, Im happy enough with it as it allows unlimited downloads...But now I see eircom has 24mb unlimted(250gig) for €40 in my area......Reckon Im going over the 250gig pm as comps on 24/7 though.....

Is everyone happy with their 24mb line?? also looking at the eircom add does 'No Congestion' mean uncontended??
    Should I switch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

That 24 Mb is not guaranteed. The service is an "Up to" service which means that the speed you get is dependent on the quality and distance from the exchange.

Uncongested broadband is not the same as uncontended broadband. That 24 Mb servie still has contention ratios but now there is enough bandwidth in the backhaul to allow for consistant speeds all the time. However, I have heard of people still experience slow speeds at peak times.

Also Eircom charge you if you go over your monthly usage at a rate of €2 per GB. If you expect to go over 250 GB per month then it can get pretty expensive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Also, isn't it the NGB Basic and talktime chatter (up to 8MB and 10GB usage) that's on special for 6 months at €40

the NGB Ultimate24mb is €55.18 for 6 months and €62.75 after that (12 month contract)

Vodafone are €59 all the time and have 350GB allowance vs Eircom 250GB

Do you have a landline or know the phone number that your landline had? they'd have a rating on the line of how fast they'd expect it to be. The eircom site used to tell you this, dunno if it still does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Can you get UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm on the Eircom 24mb package and the most I ever get is 11mb.Even though it will be an improvement over your current package it wont be super.

Advertisement