Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody had success with Homeplugs in an outside office?

• 24-02-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

First, i apologise for the slightly long-winded post..

I have been trying in vain, to help a friend set up his home broadband.
    He has an office in his back garden with a fusebox with 3 switches on it.

His back garden is a normal size, i.e. it's not a massive garden with the office way down the end.

He first had wifi, but that was very weak and kept disconnecting, then he got THESE (Devolo Homeplugs) around last July.
    They were partially working over UPC Broadband, for a while, but it got too irritating for him, so he rang UPC, who advised him to set it up, as he had it (With homeplugs). Eventually they sent out an guy, who moved the Cisco EPC2425 Home Router out to the "office", in December.

Now he has no broadband in the house. We have tried a few things to get them working, and i think it's time to give up.
    UPC will not set up a 2nd line, without paying business fee's, but the "office" Isn't for work, it's more of a getaway, so he doesn't want to go down that route.

Is there an easier/obvious way, that we are missing?
    Has anybody had success in installing Homeplugs from House to Office or Vice versa?

I just did a quick search there and found this:

Can I use HomePlugs between a house and an out-building/office ?
    [SIZE=-1]In most cases the answer is no - this is because the homeplug signal deteriorates through consumer/fuse boxes and in the case above multiple boxes are in use. We have had some customers where it has worked - it maybe worth calling us to discuss your particular needs.
    [/SIZE]
    From HERE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Run a lan cable back to the house?

Or put the UPC back in the house for wifi and run a lan cable out to the office.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-50M-RJ45-CAT5e-Ethernet-NETWORK-LAN-Patch-Cable-PS3-XBox-PC-ADSL-DSL-/320846090744?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4ab3ead1f8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Tails142 wrote: »
    Run a lan cable back to the house?

Or put the UPC back in the house for wifi and run a lan cable out to the office.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-50M-RJ45-CAT5e-Ethernet-NETWORK-LAN-Patch-Cable-PS3-XBox-PC-ADSL-DSL-/320846090744?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4ab3ead1f8

Yeah, i forgot, i think there's a reason we couldn't do this, i can't remember what it was, but i'm sure we were going to, and couldn't.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Surely you can just run a LAN or even an extension cord for the homeplugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Allyall wrote: »
    Yeah, i forgot, i think there's a reason we couldn't do this, i can't remember what it was, but i'm sure we were going to, and couldn't.. :confused:

There's no reason not to run an Ethernet cable out. That's the solution. If for some reason he doesn't want to run a cable out, then he needs to get used to having broadband in either the house or the office, but not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I run a plug over a 30 m extension cable - works fine.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm going to have to say that to him. I think he was worried about the decking/dogs or possibly the weather, but i do remember that being said, and then no. But if no other choice, then he'll have to.

Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

he could just buy a good quality hi gain antenna for the router to boost it's strength and range. Also using an N Type router + high gain antenna should give him a decent signal upto 300ft

replace the old g type wifi cards in pcs with n type cards or dongles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

he could just buy a good quality hi gain antenna for the router to boost it's strength and range. Also using an N Type router + high gain antenna should give him a decent signal upto 300ft

The cost of such a setup is far too much in comparison to running a nice CAT5 cable out, but if the latter is definitely not an option, then this is probably the next best route past homeplugs.

I think i'll go with the Ethernet. I can't contact him at the minute, but i'd say, once he knows there's few options, he'll agree.

That option seem a bit expensive, and i doubt he'd go for it, Thanks though.

Also, does any Router work with UPC? I didn't think it did..

Advertisement