Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer rights on consoles.

Options
  • 24-02-2012 7:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

A few years ago if you bought a console from Game, Gamestop, HMV and if there was a problem with the console you could get a refund or a replacement so long as you had your receipt and it was within the years warranty.

I've noticed that recently Gamestop, HMV and Game now only do this for thirty days and after that they say you have to deal with the manufacturer.

Are we being scammed? Can someone clarify our rights under the Irish consumer acts? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Your contract is with them, not the manufacturer. They're changing their arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Thanks, I thought so. Can anyone cite an article?

On mobile right now but its in the sale of goods and services act. You'll find something in detail on citizensinformation.ie or consumerassociation.ie or nca.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Thanks. That seems to be right. It would be interesting if a poster who works for an electronic stockist gave their opinion to clear up any ambiguity and end this recent practise, so we know where we all stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

another thing is that the 1 year warranty they tell you about is also a load of rubbish. As an electrical item in the EU it should last for a reasonable time relative to their purpose (not sure of the exact wording) and for a console that would be 2 or 3 years minimum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Liam O wrote: »
    another thing is that the 1 year warranty they tell you about is also a load of rubbish. As an electrical item in the EU it should last for a reasonable time relative to their purpose (not sure of the exact wording) and for a console that would be 2 or 3 years minimum.
    No; you're mixing EU and Irish law there. EU law require 2 years for electric goods; Irish is "reasonble duration" for any product.

Nody wrote: »
    No; you're mixing EU and Irish law there. EU law require 2 years for electric goods; Irish is "reasonble duration" for any product.
    I wonder if precedent is published publically. It'd be interesting to see if anyone Irish had had to go to court on the issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Nevore wrote: »
    I wonder if precedent is published publically. It'd be interesting to see if anyone Irish had had to go to court on the issue.

There's a thread on the PS3 forum, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516 where quite a few people have gone to the SCC and have won their cases.

In some cases some of the shops didn't turn up and the defendant won his/her case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Their UK site is identical to the IRL site:
    We recommend that you check with the console manufacturer first to see if your problem can be easily resolved.
    The following websites have a wealth of support information in relations to troubleshooting
    Microsoft: http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/?xr=shellnav

Sony: http://uk.playstation.com/support/

Nintendo: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/assets/region_select.jsp
    The manufacturer can advise you as to the next step to take should you continue to have difficulty

However the American website is even more hazy with regards to console returns. It has no website at all, instead a poorly displayed PDF that goes into any details at all.

I fired off an email to Gamestop Ireland(hello@gamestop.ie) to see what they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Check the thread on the PS forum about people that have brought the retailer to the courts and won by citing Irish consumer law that an item purchased should last for a reasonable time. 4 years for an expensive games console is not reasonable and possibly even longer.

The retailers can state that the gaurantee is with the manufacturer which is true but they also must mention that any warantee or gaurantee that they offer does not affect your statutory rights which trump anything they offer. By purchasing something from them they must honour consumer law which states that an item must last a reasonable time and it's been tested in court and has shown to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I think they bust out the ol' 'contact the manufacturer' line in case it's something simple that can be diagnosed and sorted over the phone.

I had an old phat PS3 that bricked after 16 months. No joy with the shop. A quick quotation of EU Law and i had a new one.

Advertisement