Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Galway

Options
  • 24-02-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Galway with my Wife and 5 month old daughter, so my question(s) is:
    1. What are the house rent prices like?
    2. What are the good areas to live in?

Thank you all in advance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Where will you be working/studying?
    It depends which side of the cit you want to live. Do you need parking? Will you be relying on public transport? Galway is not a big place but if you work in Ballybrit and live in Knocknacarra, then your commute could be over an hour at peak times.

Check www.daft.ie for rents prices. Rents have dropped but properties that are central are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

thank you for the replies, i might be potential be working in Mervue Business Park, I do drive but wife would like to get somewhere central as she doesn't drive

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Kracken wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Galway?

With the traffic situation, make sure you bring a bike.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kracken wrote: »
    thank you for the replies, i might be potential be working in Mervue Business Park, I do drive but wife would like to get somewhere central as she doesn't drive

Rents are relatively high (except compared to Dublin) - but you can work that out from Daft.

Working in Mervue, I'd recommend living in Mervue, Renmore, Doughiska, Roscam. Lots of community facilities in each of them (see my neighbourhood maps for details) , and lots of younger families in Doughiska especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Hi JustMary,

Thank you for the help, very much appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Traffic is choking Galway to death. It's the worst thing about living here. Check out your work commute during peak times before you commit to a rental. In Galway, what looks like a reasonably short distance/commute could be one long traffic jam in rush hour.

Advertisement