Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: Gort na Glaise

Options
  • 24-02-2012 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

is there a charge for refuse collection in Gort na Glaise? i've been living there 10 months, landlord never said anything about it, but when leaving suddenly it appeared out of nowhere and there's 80quid gone from my deposit. suspect foul play.

also, advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

yoyoyoman wrote: »
    is there a charge for refuse collection in Gort na Glaise? i've been living there 10 months, landlord never said anything about it, but when leaving suddenly it appeared out of nowhere and there's 80quid gone from my deposit. suspect foul play.

also, advice

No you are sound the rubbish fairies operate in that estate. What does your lease say?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

what's a lease?

obviously there's a charge somewhere but i presumed since it hasn't been mentioned - either when i moved in or during the ten months that this bill was building up to a that high figure - that it was included as part of the (quite high) rent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

what's a lease?

obviously there's a charge somewhere but i presumed since it hasn't been mentioned - either when i moved in or during the ten months that this bill was building up to a that high figure - that it was included as part of the (quite high) rent

You could try contacting citizen advise and see what they say. 80 for the year sounds cheap enough. Consider yourself lucky if thats all they are taking off. Get a lease the next time and make sure you read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

yoyoyoman wrote: »

also, advice
    what's a lease?

Bit silly posting from both of your boards usernames in the same thread! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

When I lived there there was no charge for the rubbish. Unless the owners have to pay an annual fee for use of the bins outside and he was passing the charge on to you maybe?

• Advertisement

baldshin wrote: »
    When I lived there there was no charge for the rubbish. Unless the owners have to pay an annual fee for use of the bins outside and he was passing the charge on to you maybe?

this is what i suspect. as you know but maybe others don't, there's a communal skip for all the houses so it's not as if you're getting your rubbish collected per se. something doesn't seem right about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

what's a lease?

The lease is the bit of paper agreeing the terms of the rent (if you signed one). It will detail things like what each party is responsible for, including bills, refuse, water charges, tv license or whatever is appropriate in your area.

If you didn't have a lease, the landlord should have told you about it up front.

antoobrien wrote: »
    The lease is the bit of paper agreeing the terms of the rent (if you signed one). It will detail things like what each party is responsible for, including bills, refuse, water charges, tv license or whatever is appropriate in your area.

If you didn't have a lease, the landlord should have told you about it up front.

i know i was joking, there was no lease and i should have asked for one, but i'm still naive enough to expect not to be screwed over by landlords. but yeah, no lease and no mention of these charges til now.

i know i was joking, there was no lease and i should have asked for one, but i'm still naive enough to expect not to be screwed over by landlords. but yeah, no lease and no mention of these charges til now.

Then you definitely need to talk to either the citizens information or prtb office and talk to them about it. In fact I'd go to ptrb first because citizens advice will probably send you there anyways since it's a rent related question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What about though if the Landlord/lady had it in the Contract; - "any incurring water rates or waste service charges etc." or something worded to that effect would that cover their asses in that they could turn around any time and still charge ya whatever amount they want? :rolleyes: :eek: Still would have been nice of them to tell ya in good time though so that you'd know you wouldn't be getting back all your Deposit.

• Advertisement

What about though if the Landlord/lady had it in the Contract; - "any incurring water rates or waste service charges etc." or something worded to that effect would that cover their asses in that they could turn around any time and still charge ya whatever amount they want? :rolleyes: :eek: Still would have been nice of them to tell ya in good time though so that you'd know you wouldn't be getting back all your Deposit.

well there was no written contract other than a receipt for the deposit. obv this is naive and i should know better by now..not sure if the no written contract/lease thing leaves me with no leg to stand on or whether it does the same to them.

but yeah, the main suspicious thing is how they haven't mentioned it til now. the ESB bills and UPC bills have arrived like clockwork, but they didn't mind that the 'refuse charge' wasn't been paid all this time? i might ask one of the remaining people there if they know anything of this charge and if they get docked it when leaving. it smacks of someone making up a charge out of thin air because they're trying to get a bit more money out of their soon-to-be-ex-tenant.

There isn't always a contract/lease though. I'm living in my current abode for 3 years, never having signed a lease.

It was stated up front what we (the tenants) were expected to pay - all utility bills & tv. The waste charges were handled by the landlord, presumably because there was a tax break for paying these.

O.p. these tax reliefs were stopped as of January this year, so that may be where the deposit reduction came from.

Advertisement