Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council working on the Park by Trevor Tool Hire

Options
  • 24-02-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed how long it is taking the council to build a path around the park by Monaghan road.. They have been at it me thinks since the end of October and every morning we pass on the way to work and see around 10 council lads standing around looking at it.

Now tisnt like it is rocket science what they are doing. I thought when they were taking so long that perhaps they were going to put something fancy there. But nope just a few extra seats and a tar path around the edge..They have started to Tar so it should be finished in another two months..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're 2 months putting a path in behind Beaumont School too. Must be the best gig in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Owen wrote: »
    They're 2 months putting a path in behind Beaumont School too. Must be the best gig in town.

It's the only way to stay employed, work by the inch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

It took 6 city council employees 2 months to put in a wheelchair ramp in front of a house in mayfield last year, that was to dig out the site, put in a timber frame, pour the concrete.

does anyone remember when the city council worked on the pavement near the opera house, they were months doing about 50 feet of pavement, and people wonder why the city manager is contracting out the work

its a complete joke, get on to the city manager and tell him what we all see ,day in day out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I really ****ing hate that "If I don't see someone working they're not working" attitude. I breifly worked for a council in London. We started at 6:30am. Normally we were somewhere quiet but one morning we started outside the council offices on a really busy street. I spent an hour and a half picking rubbish out of flower beds before turning the rock hard earth over to get it ready for planting, then had a break. You would not believe the amount of dirty looks I got from drivers and passer-bys as I sat down for ten minutes to drink some water. Those people might have been on their way to work but I'd probably already expended more energy than they would all day.

I'm sure there's plenty of lazy bastards working for the council but there could be 100 reasons why work was stopped. I wouldn't go slinging accusations without knowing the facts. Most jobs look simple from the outside - you never know the work that goes on behind it.

[more ranting] I bet 99 of those reasons are due to some twat with a clipboard and 'Health and Safety' somewhere in his title. I recently heard that the County Council won't be repairing potholes anymore because it's too dangerous. All that work has to be contracted out now for god knows what price. And of course probably none of the employees who would have been responisble for that before will be left go. Everybody should have a safe work enviornment, but surely somebody could have come up with a more cost effective solution....... [/more ranting]

Advertisement