Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed Fixes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

nice bit of info Ghost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Well, since the last update Origin was has been hogging the cpu for some reason...not a problem that affects the game but I noticed a couple of times now that my fan had been going all night and Origin was the cause.

I've uninstalled BF3, just too many issues for me.
    Tired of jumping through hoops.

Maybe I'll give it another lash after the "February Patch" comes out but right now I'm too busy and just wanted the odd quick game at night.
    It takes me up to 20 mins to get into a good game, sometimes the same map will load in 30 seconds (first time) (I refuse to fork out even more for an SSD just for the one game that doesn't load quickly....plus it wasn't part of the required specs)

I still have BC2 installed, guess I'll get my fix there when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

I don't think you understand the concept of hyperthreading.

All I can tell you is that when BF3 came out I needed to manually disable HT in the BIOS to get a good frame rate.
    Setting the cpu preference in task manager did nothing.

I happen to like HT for day to day tasks so it was just one more hoop I as a consumer should not have to jump through for BF3. :mad:

As for HT just happening if Multi-threading is supported, that's definitely not the case in my experience (though I'm willing to concede).
    I can't say I'm an expert in cpu architecture, not even close, but I can definitely recall some recent games only using 2 or three out of 8 possible threads...(Skyrim at launch?...cant remember.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Lanaier wrote: »
    All I can tell you is that when BF3 came out I needed to manually disable HT in the BIOS to get a good frame rate.
    Setting the cpu preference in task manager did nothing.

I happen to like HT for day to day tasks so it was just one more hoop I as a consumer should not have to jump through for BF3. :mad:

As for HT just happening if Multi-threading is supported, that's definitely not the case in my experience (though I'm willing to concede).
    I can't say I'm an expert in cpu architecture, not even close, but I can definitely recall some recent games only using 2 or three out of 8 possible threads...(Skyrim at launch?...cant remember.)

If Skyrim used any more than 1 thread I'd be surprised...the coding is pretty shocking in it ..even sli/xfire support is abysmal. Then again..it is a console port so not surprised at all.
    And this is the problem with pc gaming...you're not only at the mercy of the game developer but also graphic drivers etc.
    I had constant problems with BF3 at launch, crashing out at every game etc..
    In the end I did a clean reinstall of Windows and used a specific ati drive which resolved all my issues.
    Now getting a nice 140fps on my 2x 6950's :)

For every new game that comes out i do a fresh install of windows normally i do it every 2 months just to freshen up the computer.

If people did this before installing bf3 a lot of there problems would go away but most people dont even know how to reinstall windows which is a sad fact.

Lanaier if i had your computer for about an hour i bet i could get bf3 to run perfectly for you iv got it to run for all my m8s that had problems and some of them where on computers that shouldn't be playing bf3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Fitz do you know any decent solution to the "connection to server has timed out" crash? It's riving me up the wall for the past week. I could be playing away and it drops me out. I've tried all the usual stuff, disable upnp, opened ports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Tried a different router?
    Disable anti-virus/firewall software?

I'll try a different router, current one hasn't given trouble before. Dont have AV & i've disabled windows firewall

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Fitz do you know any decent solution to the "connection to server has timed out" crash? It's riving me up the wall for the past week. I could be playing away and it drops me out. I've tried all the usual stuff, disable upnp, opened ports etc.

Il have a look into it for you m8 and let you know.

I did have a similar issue a while back turned out to be my iphone.

For some reason it was trying to take the same ip as my computer which caused origin to keep kicking me.

Just disable wi-fi on the iphone and off it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Blazer wrote: »
    and used a specific ati drive which resolved all my issues.
    Now getting a nice 140fps on my 2x 6950's :)

And this specific driver is ?

I would be happy with 40fps on my single 6950 and not the 5-10 to 10-20 i am currently getting. :(

• Advertisement

Il have a look into it for you m8 and let you know.

I did have a similar issue a while back turned out to be my iphone.

For some reason it was trying to take the same ip as my computer which caused origin to keep kicking me.

Ha thats mad! I've tried a few more things since including changing the router so hopefully that's gonna work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Should set all the Ips on your devices manually.

Mine is 1-10 Pcs /laptops
    11-20 Consoles
    21-30 phones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

d22ontour wrote: »

I would be happy with 40fps on my single 6950 and not the 5-10 to 10-20 i am currently getting. :(
    thats aweful. what drivers you running? latest? is it limited to BF3? as in, do other games run fine? what resolution? when reinstalling drivers, have you done a driversweep before hand?

i had a 6950CF setup and those guys are beasts. 1 should run BF3 on ultra @ 1080p with ~50fps.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thats aweful. what drivers you running? latest? is it limited to BF3? as in, do other games run fine? what resolution? when reinstalling drivers, have you done a driversweep before hand?

i had a 6950CF setup and those guys are beasts. 1 should run BF3 on ultra @ 1080p with ~50fps.

hes a gimp and deserves this for team killing my PC.

He has a brand new i5 2500K 4Gb of ram and a Sapphire 6950.

he has latest Cats and a fresh install of windows 7 64.

dreamers75 wrote: »

did he download the latest cats from here?

www.amd.com/6900betaDriver

d22ontour wrote: »

I found the best ones were the 11.12 and the 11.12cap3 profiles.
    Doing a clean reinstall I'm using the latest 12.1 official and cap 3 which are running smoothly for me as well.
    I did have problems with these ones previously upgrading from an older driver but on a clean install of windows they're working perfectly for me.
    Also what CPU are you using? It could be bottlenecking your card.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    did he download the latest cats from here?

www.amd.com/6900betaDriver

reckon she is now.

Not sure of the ram she has, she should post up the timings and the exact motherboard model she has.

i using one stick of her ram cos she bent the pins in her motherboard CPU socket and i tried to diagnose it by replacing my working parts with her parts and it Teamkilled my ****ing pc :( i never noticed the bent pins :(

i lost 8gb of deadly ram in that fiasco :(

Shes my sister btw.

reckon she is now.

Not sure of the ram she has, she should post up the timings and the exact motherboard model she has.

i using one stick of her ram cos she bent the pins in her motherboard CPU socket and i tried to diagnose it by replacing my working parts with her parts and it Teamkilled my ****ing pc :( i never noticed the bent pins :(

Shes my sister btw.
    you got lucky in a way though. RAM is very cheap at the moment. if it took out a CPU or something I'd be fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shes my sister btw.
    Oh rly?

Try moving the gpu to another pci slot if u have more than one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

reckon she is now.

Shes my sister btw.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Try moving the gpu to another pci slot if u have more than one.

A second 16x PCIe slot is usually slower than the primary 16x slot, probably 8x. Check the mobo specs to be sure.

5uspect wrote: »
    A second 16x PCIe slot is usually slower than the primary 16x slot, probably 8x. Check the mobo specs to be sure.

Wouldn't matter really. Only if you were running eyefinity would you actually saturate the x8 and even then it would be minimum.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10628172/art/gigabyte/ga-z68ap-d3-1155-socket-z.html

this motherboard, moving slots obviously not an option.

Afaik she hasnt disabled the onboard graphics i reckon its that.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Although the motherboard should be set to use dedicated GPU if its available.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some rumours circulating that the update will be rolling out next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Hope that's true.. Killing a explosive Shotgun Spammer, taking the gun and waiting for them to come back to the same place, to be kill them with their own gun, again, and again, and again.. while fun at the start, is wearing thin at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I think you might have read it wrong, as a lot of people did...as far as I know they're only accouncing the date the patch will be released - next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Sorry to hijack the thread; but, are unlocks and assignments actually awarded if you leave the round before it finishes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Unlocks for weapons (Silencer/Foregrip/etc) are unlocked based on amount of kills with the gun so is not affected by leaving a round early.
    Some assignments require you to get a certain number of team deathmatch wins for example, so you would need to stay until the end of a round and win it.
    Other assignments just require a certain number of revives/heals for example.

Advertisement