Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn have joined the craft beer revoloution

• 24-02-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I came into work today and was pleasantly shocked at the new beer selection. On top of the beer they already had, they now stock brewdog punk ipa and 5 am saint, sierra Nevada torpedo, goose island ipa, anchor steam beer, Brooklyn lager, palm, Peronist gran riserva. And also some harringtons stuff and timothy Taylor. There are more that I can't remember.

It's great to see some good beer finally. Just need some more Irish beers here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Superquinn used to be great for stocking Irish Beers, think they were the first supermarket to have the O'Hara's beers. But they seem to have gone off the boil in recent years. As they're now owned by Musgraves I wonder if all those beers you've listed will start appearing in Supervalu's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

mmmmmTorpedo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

KJ wrote: »
    I came into work today and was pleasantly shocked at the new beer selection. On top of the beer they already had, they now stock brewdog punk ipa and 5 am saint, sierra Nevada torpedo, goose island ipa, anchor steam beer, Brooklyn lager, palm, Peronist gran riserva. And also some harringtons stuff and timothy Taylor. There are more that I can't remember.

It's great to see some good beer finally. Just need some more Irish beers here.

They have had some of those beers in stock for a few years now; it's great to see that they are taking some more on stream. They carry some of the Porterhouse range as well and it seems to move well and long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

Was in Limerick store last week and they had tags on the shelves for these beers but none in stock. Seems their 6 for €12 offer has ended too. I could be wrong but I thought they had a spot for Howling Gale too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Stores differ so other shops might have different beers. The offer is now 6 for the price of 5. 330ml bottles are €2.49 and 500ml are €2.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cut my my teeth on Irish craft beer in Superquinn, way back in the early 2000s: the Finian's range, Dublin Brewing Company, Biddy Early, Brew No. 1: all used to be permanent stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was pleasantly surprised when in their Lucian shop last night. An O'Briens opened next door to Superquinn there two weeks ago and also stocks a fine selection of craft and Irish beers.
    Great news for the discerning beer buff in Lucan. :)

Kinsale lager was my personal favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

BeerNut wrote: »
    Cut my my teeth on Irish craft beer in Superquinn, way back in the early 2000s: the Finian's range, Dublin Brewing Company, Biddy Early, Brew No. 1: all used to be permanent stock.

Was a big fan of Maeve's Crystal, it was an Irish oasis in a generally uninspiring desert.

Were they ahead of their time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Was just in the Superquinn in Ashtown and all the beer shelves have been rearranged to make place for a big delivery of new beer. :)

Now please bring back that 6 for 12 offer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was just in Superquinn Ranelagh, the shelves are creaking with world beers; everything from Heineken to Budweiser, I think I even spotted the ultra rare Coors Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It would be great news if it was Tesco or Dunnes. Superquinn have so few stores in most of Ireland. Great news for those with a Supequinn nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

KJ wrote:
    On top of the beer they already had, they now stock brewdog punk ipa and 5 am saint, sierra Nevada torpedo, goose island ipa, anchor steam beer, Brooklyn lager, palm, Peronist gran riserva. And also some harringtons stuff and timothy Taylor.
    Timothy Taylor Landlord, Harrington's Classy Red, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams. Full stock in SQ Bray. Good to see.

It would be great news if it was Tesco or Dunnes. Superquinn have so few stores in most of Ireland. Great news for those with a Supequinn nearby.

Even better for people that work there as we get 15% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

KJ wrote: »
    Even better for people that work there as we get 15% discount.

don't go around talking about it or the Government will slap a BIK tax on it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Heroditas wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised when in their Lucian shop last night. An O'Briens opened next door to Superquinn there two weeks ago and also stocks a fine selection of craft and Irish beers.
    Great news for the discerning beer buff in Lucan. :)

Had a little chat with the manager of that o'briens. Lovely fella. Was nice enough to even ask if there was any beer i'd like him to try and get. The lucan superquinn isnt as good as it used to be though for beer so this is a good addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Found that my local O'Briens haven't changed or updated their range in a while. Asked them about Thornbridge and Knockmealdown Porter, got an email from HQ saying that they don't and have no plans to stock either. Still good for wines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

As above I find O'Briens fairly crap selection wise.

Had a little chat with the manager of that o'briens. Lovely fella. Was nice enough to even ask if there was any beer i'd like him to try and get. The lucan superquinn isnt as good as it used to be though for beer so this is a good addition.

Yeah the guy in O'Briens got a case of the Coffee and Oatmeal stout sent over from one of their other stores when I asked him nicely. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Superquinn Ashtown just got their delivery of new beer there today..... AND it's 6 for 5 on world beers!

There priced quite reasonably aswell, Goose Island IPA, Brewdog IPA & 5 am saint, Brooklyn lager & East IPA all 2.49 each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

slayerking wrote: »
    Superquinn Ashtown just got their delivery of new beer there today..... AND it's 6 for 5 on world beers!

There priced quite reasonably aswell, Goose Island IPA, Brewdog IPA & 5 am saint, Brooklyn lager & East IPA all 2.49 each!

The Lucan branch also had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Steam Beer (although I'm prefer the Liberty Ale), along with some others at 2.49 each. Great value when you factor in the saving when buying 6. Works out at 2.08 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Was in superquinn in blanch village yesterday, they always had a couple of world beers but I didn't see anything new.

The beer shelf had moved and there was some lovely colors like blue and pink wkd's but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Got some beers in SQ week before last. Some of the old selection have gone but they've added new beers. The 6 for €12 sign is gone but at the checkout I got 6 for 5. Most of their world beers are cq. €2.50 anyhow which isn't bad value.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EScifo

They have Palm too which is a lovely beer
    5 for 6 as mentioned before and selling Palm for 2.49 which is an excellent price much better than Redmond's in Ranelagh which is a bit of a rip off

EScifo wrote: »
    They have Palm too which is a lovely beer
    5 for 6 as mentioned before and selling Palm for 2.49 which is an excellent price much better than Redmond's in Ranelagh which is a bit of a rip off

SQ would have much superior buying power to the likes of Redmond so can probably buy in greater bulk at lower prices.

Heroditas wrote: »
    SQ would have much superior buying power to the likes of Redmond so can probably buy in greater bulk at lower prices.

Or buy in from different geographical regions. Their Brewdog is imported to Norway according to the bottles.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Their Brewdog is imported to Norway according to the bottles.
    I doubt that. Just because the Norwegian-market label is on the bottle doesn't mean it has been to Norway.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I doubt that. Just because the Norwegian-market label is on the bottle doesn't mean it has been to Norway.
    Well the first line on the label says "Imported by Cask Norway AS"

I have ordered beer from the brewdog website which has been sent from Scotland but the bottles said imported in Norway.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well the first line on the label says "Imported by Cask Norway AS"
    Four Corners probably don't buy enough to get their own labels, so BrewDog sends them the Norwegian ones. Sure no-one'll notice...

Advertisement