Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you stop to help at car accidents?

• 24-02-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

My house is situated along a very busy national road in a rural area.
    This morning at about 7ish I was awoke by the unmistakable smashing sound of a car accident. The road at this location is a accident black spot and serious RTA's are a frequent occurrence.

My bedroom is towards the front of the house facing the road, so awoken I pull back the curtains and the scene which greets me is the depressing one of the immediate aftermath of a head on collision.

One of the cars involved in the accident ended partially down an embankment, the car that remained on the road was in a sorry state: the front was completely wreaked and it was straddling the center line.

Not for the first time I was shocked, but really more saddened by what happened next.
    A line of three or four cars that had been immediately following behind the car that come to a halt on the road, simply slowed down, crossed over the white line and drove around the accident and continued away.

I don't wont to be overly dramatic but I was amazed that these first four vehicles who would have witnessed the moment of impact didn't stop.
    They literally had to drive through a large amount of debris to get by.
    It was daylight, initially a number of those involved were unconscious it was clear that these people required some degree of help.

I've heard of by-stander effect, but I found it shocking that people could just drive, not even away; but through the accident scene, fully aware that the people in those cars were obviously in need of help.

As luck would have it only last week I completed an occupational first aid course, so I ran out and offered what little assistance I could.
    Thankfully nobody was killed, although a couple of those involved were removed on spine boards.

So I was wondering, would you stop at an accident if you were first on the scene. If there were already people in attendance you may not be any need to, unless you could offer some type of medical assistance.
    However if you're first on the scene and even if all you could offer was comfort to those involved you should, right?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...So I was wondering, would you stop at an accident if you were first on the scene. If there were already people in attendance you may not be any need to, unless you could offer some type of medical assistance.
    However if you're first on the scene and even if all you could offer was comfort to those involved you should, right?.

Yes, absolutely.
    Have done and I hope and pray that I will be able to do such in the future, should I fall across such unfortunate events.
    One can only (and should, I feel) try to do something, anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I find that hard to comprehend. I've heard of the bystander effect, in particular in the Jamie Bulger case, where, despite seeing a child crying and being led off by two slightly older children, nobody got involved assuming that, if something was wrong, somebody else would intervene.

However, in the situation you described where something clearly was wrong, it seems more callous than anything else that the people driving by didn't stop to try and help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Isn't it illegal not to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A fella flew past me in fog a few years ago, terrible visibility, and hit a bull a while later. The bull would of been more deserving of assistance with such driver stupidity, except the bull was stone dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is it not a legal requirement to stop? Or does leaving the scene of an accident only apply to those involved?

I'm glad that a first-aid course is mandatory here as part of the driving license. At least people will have some idea of what to do, even if it's only basic.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »

If you were involved actually in an accident and drove away, you would be held legally accountable.
    Just to by-pass one, is not illegal yet (I think - but open to be wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I haven't had the opportunity yet, but yes, I'd probably stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would stop at an accident. TBH i thought it was the law. But then again i am just compassionate.

on a different note op have you thought of setting up a camera and filming the amount of accidents then send it to the local papers or council.

Course I'd stop, how could you go on with your day knowing you could have helped and could have been the difference between life or death? Jesus.

Yes I would stop.

• Advertisement

Course I'd stop, how could you go on with your day knowing you could have helped and could have been the difference between life or death? Jesus.

It depends on how long after the accident though. Not much to be gained stopping when emergency services are there, and gardai directing traffic through where possible.

But in the case of the OP, the cars immediately behind the accident, slowing and passing, is a bit shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've done so in the past, including a couple of fatal RTA's. I'm assuming that motorists that do not stop are probably afraid of witnessing a possible gruesome scene and carry on because of this....or maybe I'm just naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

My house is situated along a very busy national road in a rural area.
    This morning at about 7ish I was awoke by the unmistakable smashing sound of a car accident. The road at this location is a accident black spot and serious RTA's are a frequent occurrence.

My bedroom is towards the front of the house facing the road, so awoken I pull back the curtains and the scene which greets me is the depressing one of the immediate aftermath of a head on collision.

One of the cars involved in the accident ended partially down an embankment, the car that remained on the road was in a sorry state: the front was completely wreaked and it was straddling the center line.

Not for the first time I was shocked, but really more saddened by what happened next.
    A line of three or four cars that had been immediately following behind the car that come to a halt on the road, simply slowed down, crossed over the white line and drove around the accident and continued away.

I don't wont to be overly dramatic but I was amazed that these first four vehicles who would have witnessed the moment of impact didn't stop.
    They literally had to drive through a large amount of debris to get by.
    It was daylight, initially a number of those involved were unconscious it was clear that these people required some degree of help.

I've heard of by-stander effect, but I found it shocking that people could just drive, not even away; but through the accident scene, fully aware that the people in those cars were obviously in need of help.

As luck would have it only last week I completed an occupational first aid course, so I ran out and offered what little assistance I could.
    Thankfully nobody was killed, although a couple of those involved were removed on spine boards.

So I was wondering, would you stop at an accident if you were first on the scene. If there were already people in attendance you may not be any need to, unless you could offer some type of medical assistance.

I take it you live just outside Kilcolgan?

Drove past at 8am this morning and the wreckage looked awful. I'm surprised and happy that nobody was killed.

It is a blackspot though, and mainly caused by the old folk driving at 50kmh on a 100 limit area, and the yummy mummies dropping their kids off at the nearby school who NEED to get as near as possible to pick up little Fiachra and Emily, slowing to a halt in the process.

But yes, I have always stopped to try and help where appropriate and possible.

Nforce wrote: »
    I've done so in the past, including a couple of fatal RTA's. I'm assuming that motorists that do not stop are probably afraid of witnessing a possible gruesome scene and carry on because of this....or maybe I'm just naive.

Its probably a case of thinking, someone else will sort it, or thinking they cant do much to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its probably a case of thinking, someone else will sort it, or thinking they cant do much to help.

Possibly..though I personally cannot fathom how someone could live with themselves by wilfully driving through/away from the scene of an accident.

Nforce wrote: »
    Possibly..though I personally cannot fathom how someone could live with themselves by wilfully driving through/away from the scene of an accident.

Definitely, it could make a huge difference, just doing something small.

If the Gardi was there but no ambulances yet, I would still certainly stop and ask if I could be of further assistance.
    One time before, I had been able to give a person trapped in a car, a blanket (one little thing I learned, to always keep in a boot of a car) to try and keep them warm and slow down the 'shock' condition they were falling into. I also gave them (the Gardi there) a large powerful torch.

If the fire brigade and ambulances, etc was there of course, I would slow down, say a silent 'hope everything turns out ok' and then drive on when the chance arose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i would always stop to help.... and i'd hope if i were ever in an accident people would stop to help me.

Biggins wrote: »

One time before, I had been able to give a person trapped in a car, a blanket (one little thing I learned, to always keep in a boot of a car) to try and keep them warm and slow down the 'shock' condition they were falling into. I also gave them a large powerful torch.

That blanket can make all the difference. A good idea having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I have done yes. One was pretty bad. A motorbike crashed into a car and the poor guy looked mangled. I called the ambulance then jumped out of my car and went over to him. Some silly bint was about to move his head when I let out an almighty scream for her to stop. I’m amazed and the stupidity of some people. I heard on the radio that night that he died :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Personally I would stop, 2 lads I know had bad enough crashes last year one of them car slid and flipped over one person stopped she was a heavily pregnant mum to be incidentally 10 people reported him to the guards for the crash, then another guy I know wet morning on the M11 crashed in to the median barrier car a complete write off no one stopped

It depends on how long after the accident though. Not much to be gained stopping when emergency services are there, and gardai directing traffic through where possible.

But in the case of the OP, the cars immediately behind the accident, slowing and passing, is a bit shocking.

Well to be fair, if there's a load of ambulances and gardai at the scene and you're just a regular joe soap with no medical/emergency training then common sense would obviously prevail and you would not get in their way. But to drive by an accident where people actually needed help? No way.

I was in an extremely bad accident a few years ago and I honestly don't know what we would have done if people hadn't stopped. Sure we were so f*cked up we couldn't possibly have called the emergency services ourselves.

The only time I've had to stop wasn't actually for a car accident, but for a woman who had stopped in traffic and was pulling her unconscious son from the car in rush hour traffic, she had no English and was hysterical, a few people stopped and we called an ambulance and took care of her until they arrived, and when they did I parked up my car and drove her cinquencento to Crumlin hospital so she wouldn't have to worry about it. Turns out she had gone to another hospital for religious reasons, but at least I had tried to help. I honestly couldn't just go to work as normal knowing I hadn't done as much as I could. I think most people are the same when it comes down to it though.

That blanket can make all the difference. A good idea having one.
    I keep a blanket, a towel, plastic bags, a good torch, a first-aid kit, a pen, notepaper and a disposable flash camera in anything I travel in.

All the above I keep, through lessons learned while driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

watching too much Seinfeld?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I don't think I could handle seeing people all mangled up if I'm honest, but I think I would stop to at least see if I could be of any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've never seen an accident and here's hoping it stays that way, but I would stop, call emergency services, offer any comfort I could and get the warning triangle out of the boot to stop anyone else ploughing into the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I would always stop unless there was already an ambulance and / or police on the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I would certainly stop and provide whatever first aid I could offer.
    I also carry a first aid kit in my car (a legal requirement in my home country, and a good one I think, just like the mandatory first aid course that everybody doing their driving license has to take).

Biggins wrote: »
    I keep a blanket, a towel, plastic bags, a good torch, a first-aid kit, a pen, notepaper and a disposable flash camera in anything I travel in.

All the above I keep, through lessons learned while driving.

Yea the blanket is the main thing in that list i wouldnt have, i might add that in.

• Advertisement

Yea the blanket is the main thing in that list i wouldnt have, i might add that in.

I learned a lesson to have one, while driving home one night and a stone cracked the front screen of the car.
    It was winter and as I still eventually, was able to drive (pre-mobile phone era), those with me in the back was cold from the wind able to blow in as I drove slowly home.
    A blanket thereafter was kept in the car for such repeats of similar happenings in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

on a different note op have you thought of setting up a camera and filming the amount of accidents then send it to the local papers or council.
    summerskin wrote: »
    I take it you live just outside Kilcolgan?

Drove past at 8am this morning and the wreckage looked awful. I'm surprised and happy that nobody was killed.

It is a blackspot though, and mainly caused by the old folk driving at 50kmh on a 100 limit area, and the yummy mummies dropping their kids off at the nearby school who NEED to get as near as possible to pick up little Fiachra and Emily, slowing to a halt in the process.

But yes, I have always stopped to try and help where appropriate and possible.

Yeah it is in Kilcolgan.

The reason that there is a lot of accidents at this particular location has nothing to do with the school, nor IMO slow driving speeds; the section of road at this location is like something out of GranTourismo.
    Incidentally one of the drivers was arrested at the scene this morning.

Back on topic, I'm glad that others find my OP shocking. By the time I got out to the accident two cars had stopped, they too commented on how unbelievable they thought it was that the cars before them drove away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

xoxyx wrote: »
    I find that hard to comprehend. I've heard of the bystander effect, in particular in the Jamie Bulger case, where, despite seeing a child crying and being led off by two slightly older children, nobody got involved
    2 schoolkids holding hands with a crying toddler walking around a supermarket?

Yeah, I'd just presume the Mum was off buying cigarettes or gone for a wizz tbh. I would certainly stop to help someone who wasn't injured as best I could, but there's nothing particularly strange or noteworthy about that Jamie Bulger scene you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I stopped at a crash once and my friend ran down to help while I waited for the ambulance...within about 5 minutes a massive crowd had gathered round, with the majority of them taking out phones and recording what was going on. Fairly disgusted me to be honest. One girl even leaned over the stretcher while the guy was being brought up to the ambulance so she could get a decent look at his misery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In France it is a serious offence not to, In Germany and the US I believe not, I have even heard of off duty paramedics not wanting to get involved in accident cases because of potential lawsuits in case something goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

That's shocking behavior to be honest. Is it not a legal requirement to stop, well it is here in Norway. Not sure about back home.

As part of compulsory driving school here, you have to take a basic first aid course before you get your drivers license.

I was in a crash last week, lost control of the car on ice and crashed into a snow bank. The car was stuck and damaged. Every single car the passed by stopped to help me out and stop traffic, one person let me use their phone (battery dead on mine), another three lads were crawling around in knee deep snow checking my car for damage. Then a guy with a winch on his jeep pulled me free and then the lads gave me a push start. They also followed me all the way home to make sure the car was ok and i didn't crash again :)

I would have no problem doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Turns out she had gone to another hospital for religious reasons

Wha ??
    You don't get to choose which hospital the ambulance brings you to - for religious reasons or otherwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Only stop and help if it's safe to do so,the last thing the emergency services need is for somebody else to be splattered all over the road as well the crash.

be sensible not stupidly heroic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only time I've ever come across an accident where there were no Gardai in attendance was in the pitch dark, a car partially in the ditch off the N81, another car stopped and two people standing around. I pulled over and asked if everyone was OK and if they needed any help, but they said they were grand so I went on.

I probably wouldn't bother stopping if there are Gardai in attendence unless it looked like they needed a hand (e.g. a massive scene and only a single Garda on his own)

I can't imagine like in the OP's case actually witnessing a serious accident taking place and just driving around it. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

That story in the OP is incredible. How could you...

If I was in that situation I definately would stop. However, I don't stop when there is already help there.

Also, I fúcking hate rubberneckers.

Wha ??
    You don't get to choose which hospital the ambulance brings you to - for religious reasons or otherwise

Well she did!! I arrived in Crumlin and she wasn't there, so the nurse did some investigation and was told that she had insisted she be taken to Temple Street because there was a muslim doctor there. And we were in Donnybrook, pretty much on the Canal so they could have gotten to Crumlin much quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've been lucky enough not to have come across any serious accident but if I ever do I'd definitely stop and help.

My brother was first on the scene of a crash which claimed the lives of a mother and her son and seriously injured another 2 kids and their dad last Christmas.. I don't know how I'd deal with such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

If it was safe to do do, like not being on a bad bend. Some people think putting on their hazard lights turns on some sort of forcefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i remember a women getting killed when she fell asleep at the wheel near kilkenny and went in under a lorry. i was on the bus to work (my car was in the garage having the exhaust replaced after a speedbump in kilkenny city promptly removed it the day before) when we came across the accident. the truck's engine was on fire and the bus driver jumped out with some fire extinguishers to put out the fire. the truck driver was ok some minor scratches and in shock....but the poor women was mangled under the engine block of the lorry. she died instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

seamus wrote: »

I can't imagine like in the OP's case actually witnessing a serious accident taking place and just driving around it. Bizarre.
    That story in the OP is incredible. How could you...

If I was in that situation I definately would stop. However, I don't stop when there is already help there.

These cars drove through the scene of the accident before steam started coming out of what remained of the engine bay of the crashed car; they were immediately there upon the scene.

As I was looking out the window I could hear the cracking of glass and plastic under their tyres as they drove through.

I don't want to come across as righteous.
    As I was going over to the scene, I was thinking to myself Do I really want to see this? I don't really want to see this.
    As I mention before, I recently did a Occupational first aid course, and even thought you're thought pretty basic stuff, it gave me a bit of confidence that maybe I could possibly help someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yes, I have stopped and always will. I would like to think that if my missus was in an accident, someone would stop to help her. I'd always help, without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would stop and have done before, luckily nothing serious. Fingers crossed it will stay that way. I genuinely don't feel I'd be any good in a crisis.

I was in an accident where a cow ran into the side/front of the car I was travelling in and came in through the front window. The car was in a worse state than the cow! I was 7, my sister 3, sitting screaming in the back, It was so long ago it's kind of vague but I remember looking out the window at someone in a slowly passing car looking back in at me.

I also remember we had just gotten a hamster called sox, when the car braked he got thrown against his cage. He spent months with bar marks across his little body. :( Lived for years after! :D

What should one do in an emergency situation? I know it depends on the situation, but are there some "golden rules" or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

People have their own reasons for not stopping. Off the top of my head I know a couple of people who faint at the sight of blood. I know lots of people who wouldn't have the confidence. People might be afraid of stopping their own car, with their small baby in it, on a busy road.

People have all kinds of reasons and, by and large, i think they should be respected.

The vast majority of untrained intervention at most RTAs won't be the difference between life or death.

That's not to say that there's no role for compassion and holding a hand. of course there is. The studies mostly show that the less traumatic the immediate aftermath of an incident, the less severe any PTSD might be.

But I don't think people are dying with any kind of regularity because of the inaction of strangers.

Most times I've been at a situation like that there's been too many people trying to get involved, as opposed to too few.

I still always have total admiration for people with zero training who are just willing to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in at bad accidents. They may not be able to help much, but it's a really admirable mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I've heard* of medical professionals being sued after helping at accident scenes, despite having no control of the circumstances or even the necessary equipment, they may even have saved a life but not the injured parties full mobility. I know several doctors and nurses who refuse to stop because of this.

Myself I'm fortunate to have only arrived at scenes where the emergency services were in control or minor accidents where I've helped pick up motorbikes, switch of engines, clear the road etc.

I have also had a couple of bike spills where nobody helped at all, one where about 30 car drivers saw me come off on ice and just drove on, one where several people helped me up and gave me witness contact details, and one where people came out of nearby buildings, called 3 ambulances, brought me a blanket and a mug of sugary tea.

I suppose if an accident happens immediately in front, some people don't react in time, they manage to avoid joining the crash but they're past the scene before the penny drops that they could do something. Then they're embarrassed or just callous and think 'there's other people behind, they'll stop'. While the people in the say 3rd & 4th cars, have a little more time to react and so stop.

* Sorry no references

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was in a car accident not long after I first started driving, about six months. Was coming around a normal bend at about 30mph when the car just started to skid out of no where, crashed into a fence but me and my friend who were in the car were fine, even so a car with two fellas that was behind me and saw everything just drove on past.

I rang my dad who came down immediately and ate the head of me, assuming I was speeding etc. The gardai arrived on and made sure we were okay and once we got the car going we headed along. Then just a around the corner there were the two lads who had passed us out, they had had a much worse crash than us and the car was in bits as they had gone up on a ditch and crashed into a pole. As it turned out there was oil spilled on the road which caused both accident, my Dad was eating crow. And as for the two lads in the car well I suppose karma is a bitch. For that reason I always help when I come upon an accident. Pulled two drunk lads out of a caddy that was upside down with it's nose stuck in a ditch. They were both out of it and were very lucky to walk away, never ever drink and drive kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Some people just cannot cope with any new experience and go into ostrich mode. This can explain some of the behaviour. Other times everyone assumes someone else will look after an incident if there are numerous people around.It's not just with traffic accidents.
    Think about when the last time you passed a drunken person on the ground in town? How do you know he was drunk and hadn't just fallen/ had a fit etc? You assume because of many people someone will have stopped if they had fallen but this isn't the case andthe same is true of thinking people on the ground are generally drunk(most of the time they are but not always)
    Most people just aren't wired to deal with any strange incidents and will convince themselves that something else has happened or is more important than dealing with the true emergency. It was a bad crash but the first driver who didn't stop probably convinced themselves that it was a minor bang. The others followed due to flocking theory. The reverse also happens if one person stops to help others will stop too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement