Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin nuvi - Loading Maps

Options
  • 24-02-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello,

When I turn on my Garmin nuvi, I get the message 'Loading Maps', but nothing happens, like it has frozen, can anyone advise why this is happening?

Thanks, PJ4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

I presume that you are waiting for 90 seconds or so after turning on ..... it can take that long. For quicker startups, next time you are uploading maps, just load the maps for the area(s) you are using.

If your nuvi is locked, try the reset procedure on this page ....
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-reset-garmin-nuvi-gps-device-access-maintenance-mode/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have an old nuvi 760 that does this sometimes, and usually just when you really, really need the thing to start up quickly! The received wisdom of the Interweb seems to think it's down to the unit doing some kind of "defrag" occasionally, but I'm a bit sceptical of this as doing so on a flash memory device makes absolutely no sense at all.

Doing my own experimentation I've got the impression that it does it frequently if I've been following a route, and then just switch it off when I reach my destination. If I cancel the route from the main menu first and then switch it off it seems to happen less frequently. Also clearing the saved trip log every now and then seems to help a lot too.

Also one of the things I've noticed is that possibly the worst thing you can do is to interrupt it when it's doing this by switching it off in anger. It then seems to take even longer the next time just to spite you :)

Not very scientific I know, but in the absence of any sensible response from Garmin's so-called "technical" support on this, that's all I'm left with.

Advertisement