Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas and electricity on seperate accounts in same residence?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 12:00pm
    Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently living in a house share-one of the other tenants has the gas bill (with BGE) in her name. She's moving out soon and I'm going to take the gas into my name.

We have electricity from yourselves in another tenant's name, he has had the account for years and there is no direct debit-would it be possible for me to switch the gas to Electric Ireland into my name only andfor him to keep the electicity account seperate?

I'd be paying by direct debit-would there be a security deposit required?

I'm reluctant to stay with the current provider as the only options are average payment without security deposit or a deposit of €200.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Ninaluna,
    Ninaluna wrote:
    would it be possible for me to switch the gas to Electric Ireland into my name only andfor him to keep the electicity account seperate?

You could do that, yes. However you would miss out on potential savings if you did so, as we offer additional discounts to dual-fuel customers (i.e. customers with the electricity and gas accounts in their own name).

If you were to sign up to a gas-only priceplan, you would receive a discount of 6% off the Bord Gáis regulated tariff. With an electricity-only priceplan, the maximum discount is 11%. However, with both accounts in your (or your housemate's) name, you could get up to 14% off electricity, or 14% off gas, depending on which utililty you think would benefit most from the discounts.
    Ninaluna wrote:
    I'd be paying by direct debit-would there be a security deposit required?

No, we don't require any security deposit if you pay by direct debit. :)

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement