Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I spend a year living and working in Australia?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I live in Dublin and things are quite bad over here.

The unemployment in Ireland is 14.4% and not likely to improve in the near future.

I have a degree and have worked with different I.T jobs. I recently earned a certificate in web development and have my own portfolio website for graphic design.

However I'm quite worried that I'll still be out of work during the year. A classmate recommended that I could go to Australia and find work with the skills I have, as she had lived and worked there herself.

The unemployment rate over there is 5.2%, so it may be easier to find work.

I have a few scheduled interviews at home but the chances are slim and there's a huge amount of people out of work and looking for the same jobs.

I was thinking that if I tried to apply now, then I could go next year if I still don't find anything at home. In the meantime I could do a few more certificates and up-skill myself.

I'm worried about leaving my home behind, but I'm almost even more worried about staying behind and being out of work.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

have you a mortgage?
    have you a girlfriend?
    have you a wife?
    have you kids?
    have you got any long term commitments to keep you at home?

if your answer is 'no' to any of the above,get the fcuk out of this tip of a country ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

have you a mortgage?

if your answer is 'no' to any of the above,get the fcuk out of this tip of a country ASAP

That's good advise, but is Australia the best place to go?

Or would I end up having the same problems over there that I do here?

If Australia is the answer, then which is the best way to go about getting a working visa?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

im surprised yout thread lasted this long,some of the mods on here are right prissy about obeying the forum charter that moses himself brought down from mount zion

you can go through usit or one of those or just save yourself a couple of hundred and do it yourself on the australiam immigration website
    i assume your google works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

If you are 30 or under you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa online on the Aus immigration site. It's a few years since I did it but from (vague) memory it took about 20 mins and cost c €200. It is usually granted within hours, or a few days at most.

If you are good at what you do and can prove it you should find work here. It's not the land of milk and honey though, it can take a while to find work and requires lots of effort. With the current exchange rate and high cost of living you'll burn through Euro savings very quickly so having decent funds on arrival is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You may as well leave.

All the ex-pats will be home in a few years with their Oz stories. You don't wanna be left out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

im surprised yout thread lasted this long,some of the mods on here are right prissy about obeying the forum charter that moses himself brought down from mount zion
    i assume your google works
    I checked with Moses no offence here carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

FeckArseInc. firstly what a epic name :D

I thought the IT was not to bad over here in Ireland just that its mostly short term contract work, which if you can get a rolling contract is not the worst thing in the world.

Australia might not be the land of milk and honey its portrayed as by the Irish media, a lot of job losses is areas that would have years ago been seen as solid and sustainable jobs but there has been a lot of job creation in industries that i personally would not class as stable, 'because if China slows Australia stops", ive been hearing good things about Canada (i dont know much about IT) as a option and its a hell of a lot easier to get to as well.
    You may as well leave.

All the ex-pats will be home in a few years with their Oz stories. You don't wanna be left out!

and i will be here waiting with a load of slagging waiting for you, ive got a heap of Irish and 12 year old jokes if you want to hear any.

Im off to bed now, will be back after my ban expires:D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

have you a mortgage?
    have you a girlfriend?
    have you a wife?
    have you kids?
    have you got any long term commitments to keep you at home?

Yeh what Jesus says..

If you have nothing holding tying you down go for it dude. The money here is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MJOAP

Hi OBJesus et al,

Regarding your degree you can get a vey good idea of your eligibility
    For a skilled independent visa at the following site
    https://www.migrationexpert.com.au

There is a test you complete which tells you if you have the required points to get a visa. I have no idea if the company is any good as I have not used them.

I recently had a call from Michael Page in Perth, a consultant called me at home at 8am and was most helpful regarding the jobs market, but simply I have been told to get myself out there.....

Next off....just my thoughts.... Anyone who is young and can go should go.....the worst possible outcome is that you have to come back, so what?

I am employed, I have a reaonably good std of living in Ireland.
    I have a mortgage, I have a wife & young kids & all the usual stuff.....
    I am thinking about Aus a lot as a place to bring my family for the sake of my kids future, but I do have reservations about its economy & housing boom fuelled by debt which we all know only leads to one thing ultimately.

If I did not have the responsibilities I do and was younger I would be gone.
    It is a slightly different decision for me so FeckArseInc what's keeping you.

Best of luck to all of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but just wondering - does anyone know if IT companies will give you the time of day with a WHV? I've heard that you really want to be going over on a skilled visa if you are going to be working in IT?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but just wondering - does anyone know if IT companies will give you the time of day with a WHV? I've heard that you really want to be going over on a skilled visa if you are going to be working in IT?

Cheers.

Yes they will. Ensure you apply for short term contracts and have a long period left on your WHV into which they can extend.

Advertisement