Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Mallow

Options
  • 24-02-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

So far I haven't really found an exceptionally good one.
    I've been to Jumbo's a few times and its very nice.
    Heard only mixed things things about the Indian and, looking at the menu, found it quite expensive compared to Cork City.
    I tried Essnik, and TBH, was underwhelmed.
    Gallery is OK but nothing special food-wise.
    Anywhere else I've missed?
    I am tired of having to go to Cork for a good meal. I like ethnic food & good modern cuisine (without feeling ripped off :P - don't we all).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Essink is closed now. It was changed to Boomerang, which only lasted a few months before also closing. Now there's a new Indian there, Delhi Palace. Went there once with my family on a Sunday night and we were the only customers so I can't see this one lasting too long either. Food was nice though, and less waiting time than D'Mughals (the other Indian place, where my sister was once kept waiting around 50 minutes for a takeaway order!)

Peppers (where the White Deer used be) is very nice but quite expensive. I've heard good things about La Scala, which is across the road from Peppers, but I'm not a fan of Italian so I've never been there.

May be worth checking out the Hibernian Hotel as well. Think their restaurant does deals every so often.

But overall Jumbo's is about the nicest reasonably-priced restaurant you'll find in Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mossie

Peppers (where the White Deer used be) is very nice but quite expensive. I've heard good things about La Scala, which is across the road from Peppers, but I'm not a fan of Italian so I've never been there.

May be worth checking out the Hibernian Hotel as well. Think their restaurant does deals every so often.

But overall Jumbo's is about the nicest reasonably-priced restaurant you'll find in Mallow.

Peppers is good but can be extremely slow for service. La Scala is very good if you like Italian, Uncle Brando also good for Italian. Gallery is OK, Hibernian hit and miss. Cafe Bella is OK for lunch but don't know what it's like at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

La Scala serves lovely steak. It's not just pasta and other typical Italian dishes.

I also like D'Mughals. The meal sometimes takes a while but you get free poppadoms while you wait.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Springfort Hall is a little outside Mallow but the food is good and I think they do specials on the Weds nights.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Heard good and bad stories about Springfort Hall - but heard their specials are very good value. I've heard great stories about La Scala alright, seems to be always a crowd in there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

La Scala is nice but I am not really into their menu. The Welcome is a nice Chinese but the Gallery is very bad though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

-Corkie- wrote: »
    La Scala is nice but I am not really into their menu. The Welcome is a nice Chinese but the Gallery is very bad though.

I've found the Gallery food to be very nice - but its basically pub food, does well at lunch times I'd say!

However, if the food is a secondary consideration, the free wifi at the HiB is always a plus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thanks for all the replies, will try La Scala tomorrow. Shall report back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Peppers is nice,find it really fresh food.
    the new indian down hibernian way is very nice and they have a great early bird and much nicer than d'mughals, no processed chicken there.

heard nice things about la scala but havent been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

sunshiner wrote: »
    much nicer than d'mughals, no processed chicken there.

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

was out in the indian restaurant thats in hibernian way last night. it was the best place i have eaten in a long time. the service was excellent the food was really nice i am addicted now. will be getting a take away from there later:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dlynes83

was out in the indian restaurant thats in hibernian way last night. it was the best place i have eaten in a long time. the service was excellent the food was really nice i am addicted now. will be getting a take away from there later:):)

was there last friday for early bird very nice at 12.95 for four course. the madras nice and spicey

morgana wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, will try La Scala tomorrow. Shall report back :P

Waiting for the report back!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Sabre Man wrote: »
    La Scala serves lovely steak. It's not just pasta and other typical Italian dishes.

La Scala also serves beautiful fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The Wild Goose by dermot casey is sh1te and serves absolute shoite food. On several occasions I have gone in there and been served absolute shoite

Which is strange because only about 2 years ago I got a very nice meal in there. Lately it's shoite though

Jumbo's isn't bad
    Springfort Hall is a little outside Mallow but the food is good and I think they do specials on the Weds nights.
    Got a very nice meal there once, then the next time was also utter shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I agree, wild goose is not nice at all and quite expensive, the kentucky is nicer than it!

La Scala is nice alright but very Italian.
    Uncle Brandos is ok, haven't been in a while though.

Who knew that there were that many gourmands in Mallow :)

eth0 wrote: »
    The Wild Goose by dermot casey is sh1te and serves absolute shoite food. On several occasions I have gone in there and been served absolute shoite

Which is strange because only about 2 years ago I got a very nice meal in there. Lately it's shoite though

Jumbo's isn't bad

Got a very nice meal there once, then the next time was also utter shoite

Not only is it crap but the place is filthy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

and less waiting time than D'Mughals (the other Indian place, where my sister was once kept waiting around 50 minutes for a takeaway order!)

Their waiting time are epic and they're fúcking assholes about it every time (ordered from there a few times)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Not only is it crap but the place is filthy...

Couldn't get over how sticky the tables were the last time I was there

eth0 wrote: »
    Couldn't get over how sticky the tables were the last time I was there
    .unm
    Yera fek that grub is dear enough. I dont bother going out anymore because my wife is a fantastic cook and the recession is another. I would consider the kentucky the best eating spot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manione1

just back from the delhi palace, hibernia way in Mallow. It's much better than the D'Mughals. The early bird for 12.95 is excellent value, starter, naan,main rice or chips, ice-cream and tea or coffee and all excellent quality.highly recommend:)

Advertisement