Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Music Fesitval June 23rd/24th

Options
  • 24-02-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭

Some big names in this line up, should be a great weekend for the town if the weather holds.
    Ray Davies, The Waterboys, Seasick Steve, Alison Moyet, Nick Lowe, Lloyd Cole, and Duke Special are among more than 50 acts just announced to take part in the inaugural Westport Festival of Music and Performing Arts.

Seasick Steve - Westport bound
    The new festival takes place in the 400-acre grounds of Westport House over the weekend of June 23 and 24. It offers on-site camping and is being billed as "a grown-up festival for music fans who treasure their record collections."

Also announced to play on one of the three stages at the family-friendly festival are The Dubliners, Tom Baxter, Damien Dempsey, Mundy, Hothouse Flowers, Eddi Reader, The Minutes, David Kitt, Jerry Fish, The 4 of Us, The Kanyu Tree, The Riptide Movement, Bipolar Empire, Cars Love Girls, Rainy Boy Sleep and Eoin Glacken.

Further family attraction include the Westport House Pirate Adventure Park on the festival grounds. Families will be able to enjoy the Pirates Swinging Ship and Plunge Ride, Swan Pedaloe Boats, bouncy castles, and the Westport House Express miniature train ride.

Tickets, on sale now, are €75 incl b/fee for Saturday or €75 incl booking fee for Sunday or €130 incl booking fee for weekend.

More information at: westportfestival.com. Facebook: Westport-Festival-of-Music-and-Performing-Arts. Twitter: @westportfest

RTE Linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Best wishes to all involved in this. Excellent location at Westport House.

Good mention today also in Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

419688_311116325614872_204454702947702_914638_924552710_n.jpg

Can't wait!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A serious looking festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Are those really the price of the tickets? OMG!!! no way can I afford to see that. Wasnt the festival free for all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Are those really the price of the tickets? OMG!!! no way can I afford to see that. Wasnt the festival free for all these years.

The festival held on the fairgreen is a different festival to this, more local acts etc. In comparison to other festivals, this is actually quite cheap. Alot of the artists wouldnt be my kind of thing but i know plenty of people who would love this. Id say it will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I looked at the Westport music festival website mentioned in the poster and I could only find info for last years festival.

I looked at the website selling the tickets and it doesn't list which day the bands are playing.

It looks like it will bring a great buzz to the area but they would need to start giving out more info soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Crazy prices to be charging! looks like i won't be going:(

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Mayo Miss wrote: »

I looked at the website selling the tickets and it doesn't list which day the bands are playing.

It looks like it will bring a great buzz to the area but they would need to start giving out more info soon.
    http://www.westportfestival.com/festival/line-up/

SATURDAY 23RD OF JUNE
    Ray Davies
    The Waterboys
    Nick Lowe
    The Dubliners
    Damien Dempsey
    Lloyd Cole
    Royseven
    The Minutes
    The Undertones
    The Riptide Movement
    Rocco DeLuca
    The Kanyu Tree
    Bipolar Empire
    The Lost Brothers
    Rainy Boy Sleep

SUNDAY 24TH OF JUNE
    Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra
    Imelda May
    Seasick Steve
    Macy Gray
    Alison Moyet
    Duke Special
    Tom Baxter
    Mundy
    Hothouse Flowers
    David Kitt
    Eddi Reader
    Jerry Fish
    The Four of Us (acoustic)
    Eoin Glackin
    Cars Love Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Sunday has the best line up but I would love to see the Waterboys - decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

yop wrote: »
    A serious looking festival.

Can you consider moving this thread over to 'Gigs and Events' please?

Hadn't heard about it til today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can you consider moving this thread over to 'Gigs and Events' please?

Hadn't heard about it til today.

The festival is in Mayo so this is related to Mayo. Can't see any reason on moving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

yop wrote: »
    The festival is in Mayo so this is related to Mayo. Can't see any reason on moving this.

I second the request to move this to gigs and events. I'm from Limerick, have never visited the Mayo forum and wouldn't have seen this thread only for finding a link to it buried in the Electric Picnic thread in the Gigs and Events forum.

I know the festival is in Mayo, but with a good line-up like that, people will probably travel from all over Ireland for it.......

Definitely more relevant to gigs and events than Mayo forum imo

Edit:
    Just found something else for you Mayo folk in the gigs and events forum...... Knock Rave lol!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056570405

ureds wrote: »
    http://www.westportfestival.com/festival/line-up/

SATURDAY 23RD OF JUNE
    Ray Davies
    The Waterboys
    Nick Lowe
    The Dubliners
    Damien Dempsey
    Lloyd Cole
    Royseven
    The Minutes
    The Undertones
    The Riptide Movement
    Rocco DeLuca
    The Kanyu Tree
    Bipolar Empire
    The Lost Brothers
    Rainy Boy Sleep

SUNDAY 24TH OF JUNE
    Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra
    Imelda May
    Seasick Steve
    Macy Gray
    Alison Moyet
    Duke Special
    Tom Baxter
    Mundy
    Hothouse Flowers
    David Kitt
    Eddi Reader
    Jerry Fish
    The Four of Us (acoustic)
    Eoin Glackin
    Cars Love Girls
    They must have heard me! Sunday looks like the day for me.
    I second the request to move this to gigs and events. I'm from Limerick, have never visited the Mayo forum and wouldn't have seen this thread only for finding a link to it buried in the Electric Picnic thread in the Gigs and Events forum.

I know the festival is in Mayo, but with a good line-up like that, people will probably travel from all over Ireland for it.......

Definitely more relevant to gigs and events than Mayo forum imo

Edit:
    Just found something else for you Mayo folk in the gigs and events forum...... Knock Rave lol!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056570405

Holy Moley a Rave in Knock! Nuns bopping in their habits and waving glowsticks, I'd go to see that, lol.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I second the request to move this to gigs and events.
    Just start another thread there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Hotels have really let themselves down in Westport this weekend. Especially the Castlecourt who are charging an insulting €418 for the two nights for a double room compared to €296 for the weekend before. Shame on you! I hope you fill your rooms at this ridiculous price and reap the bad publicity! It does nothing for tourism in your fine town.

My advice would be to look at a place like Achill and organise a bus from there...i'm sure if you called one of the hotels there, they would probably help you organise it all

houseplant wrote: »
    Hotels have really let themselves down in Westport this weekend. Especially the Castlecourt who are charging an insulting €418 for the two nights for a double room compared to €296 for the weekend before. Shame on you! I hope you fill your rooms at this ridiculous price and reap the bad publicity! It does nothing for tourism in your fine town.

Thats disgraceful. They never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

houseplant wrote: »

Jesus that isn't fair at all.

If it's any consolation you can sleep on the floor in my house?

For €75

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

My advice would be to look at a place like Achill and organise a bus from there...i'm sure if you called one of the hotels there, they would probably help you organise it all

You could look at some other surrounding towns with nice hotels which could probably make travel arrangements - Newport, Castlebar, Louisburgh - spread it about. Doesn't have to be just Westort that capitalizes on this event. The likes of Newport, Achill and Louisburgh would also have excellent watersports (fishing/surfing/canoeing) available if thats you thing. Nothing like hitting the surf the morning after the night before to shift the hangover.

• Advertisement

This weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Any word on ticket sales? I'd say a lot of people have left booking to this week given the poor weather earlier this month.

Saw a sign for the festival passing through Westport so looks like there will be an entrance from the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

From speaking to my children, seem to be a lot heading for this festival

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Body & Soul will drag a reasonable amount of the crowd away, annoying they're both on the same weekend. Still, hope this does well.

Should be a lively weekend in Westport. I saw an entrance sign between Danolla's and McCarthys, might be easier to park in town and use these entrances.

Hopefully the weather will be nice, I don't fancy getting soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Should be a lively weekend in Westport. I saw an entrance sign between Danolla's and McCarthys, might be easier to park in town and use these entrances.

Hopefully the weather will be nice, I don't fancy getting soaked.

not looking too good.
    NEXT WEEKEND : Staying unsettled and cool over next weekend with temperatures in the mid teens. Starting off dry in many areas on Saturday, but rain will become widespread from the south during the day with heavy falls in places on Saturday night and Sunday morning. The rain then clearing to brighter weather with scattered showers on Sunday afternoon.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Setting the stage...

209522.jpg

209523.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Any word on ticket sales? I'd say a lot of people have left booking to this week given the poor weather earlier this month.

This is exactly what I did. I live locally enough so was planning on going over with my daughter if the weather was nice but with the amount of rain all week I'd say the place will be a mud-fest, plus it's meant to rain at the weekend too so I think I'll be giving it a miss. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Hardly any rain of any significance in Westport for the last few days, so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Hardly any rain of any significance in Westport for the last few days, so fingers crossed.

where ya bin? lol. . . yesterday in westport there was a good few very heavy showers.

anyway, if the grounds of our best estate dont get mucked up as it is, tomorrows/fridays rain will distroy the place. suppose to be bad.

Advertisement