Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS sufferer rides wheelchair for 2 hours to kill herself

• 24-02-2012 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/tragedy-of-ms-sufferer-who-rode-wheelchair-for-two-hours-to-kill-herself-3030718.html
    AN MS sufferer travelled for two hours in an electric wheelchair to commit suicide in a canal - after her twin sister refused to buy her flight to the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.

The day before Carol Hutchins died, she arrived home in floods of tears after the lever on her buggy had jammed leaving her unable to throw herself over a 3ft fence and into the water.

Determined to end her life, Mrs Hutchins returned to the canal the following day and got the mechanism working to lift the chair above the height of the fence.

The 53-year-old waited until a crew of workmen cleaning graffiti nearby went on a break before heaving her body, which was immobile from the chest down, into the water.

When the labourers returned to the towpath of the Kennet and Avon Canal in Reading, Berks., they found the empty wheelchair and then spotted Carol floating face-down in the water.

Police constable Victoria Blaszko (corr) leapt over the 3ft fence and dragged the middle-aged woman's body from the water as fellow officers, firefighters and paramedics rushed to the towpath.

Mrs Hutchins, who had been described as a vibrant woman with a "larger than life personality", was taken to hospital where she was declared dead shortly after arrival on October 22 last year.

A post mortem examination gave the cause of her death as drowning.

The Berkshire coroner heard that Mrs Hutchins was diagnosed with MS in 1989 and had taken part in marathons before MS ravaged her body and left her wheelchair bound.

Her sister, Ingrid Foan, said that in July 2010 her depressed sister was unable to do anything for herself and begged her to buy a one way plane ticket to Switzerland so she could end her life.

"She was terrified by what was happening to her," she tearfully told the hearing in Windsor, Berks.

She told how her sister had said that she had "lost everything and didn't want to live like this anymore," and had previously spoken of throwing herself into the canal.

Ingrid explained that after a 10-week hospital stay her sibling's condition had improved and she was able to do much more for herself.

Carol's devastated parents, Alec and Ursula, said they believed their daughter had planned to end her life before her condition worsened further and she could no longer control her destiny.

Mr Hutchins said: "We think she planned it while she was in hospital.

"She didn't involve anyone else. She knew exactly what MS was and what it was doing to her."

When asked whether they thought Carol had taken her own life, Mr Hutchins replied: "I'm in no doubt."

In recording his verdict coroner Peter Bedford said that Carol was suffering from a "horrible" disease at the time of her death.

"From the evidence given to me I am quite satisfied that Carol Hutchins died on October 22 last year at the Royal Berkshire Hospital and that she took her own life while suffering from multiple sclerosis and depression."

Speaking before the hearing Mr Hutchins called for assisted suicide to be legalised.

"Carol was a very courageous woman but at the end of the day she has demonstrated a need for euthanasia in this country," he said.

"People say life is precious but there comes a point when life is not precious and it becomes torture for those that are living.

"Carol had thought about going to Dignitas in Switzerland but it is very expensive and it puts other people in a difficult position.

"It showed tremendous courage for her to do what she did all alone and I believe that she had planned it after having enough of being a prisoner in her own home.

"She knew one more setback could leave her totally immobilised and she wouldn't be able to do anything for herself and she would just be washed, dressed and stuck in front of the television."

Should euthanasia be an option for people with terminal debilitating illnesses? Seems cruel to force someone to live in such a state, life isn't precious all the time for everyone.

Fair play to her for having the courage to keep her destiny in her own hands.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Poor woman. How much nicer would it have been for her to be able to end her life at home, with a loving family around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

She was obviously a very determined woman & quite serious about ending her misery. I hope she has found peace now.

I'd do the same in her situation if euthanasia wasn't available. I wouldn't see the point in wasting away to nothing because of a terminal illness. I'd like to have the option of dying with some kind of dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

An awful existence to have, especially when you're in the mindset that you don't want to live the rest of your life like that.

At least it's over for her, though I feel bad for her family too who I'm sure tried their best to help her.

In cases like terminal illnesses it should be up to the person how they want end their life. See it through to the end in pain or go out with, in their mind, their dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Should euthanasia be an option for people with terminal debilitating illnesses? Seems cruel to force someone to live in such a state, life isn't precious all the time for everyone.

quite simply, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

theteal wrote: »
    quite simply, yes.

Absolutely....

</end thread>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Yes euthanasia should absolutely be an option.

If I, or a loved one ever gets so ill that you become immobile then no filthy TD from Mayo is going to tell me I'm now allowedl to die in the comfort of my own home.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

kylith wrote: »
    Poor woman. How much nicer would it have been for her to be able to end her life at home, with a loving family around her.

Fully agree. We are still stuck in the dark ages as a species regarding this issue. It's a difficult issue, but why should people be stuck in misery to satisfy our own conciences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That's one of the bravest and most aweful things I've read in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a brave woman and a sad story. Yes, a more dignified end should be possible for people in her condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Visited my aunt last weekend who has MS and paralysed from the neck down. What a terrible illness. Had not seen her in 20 years or so but still put the proverbial boot into me for being a Liverpool fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God, poor woman that's so sad. :( Yes I think people who have terminal illnesses should be able to decide if they want to die. I think it's wrong for people who have no idea what this poor woman's life must have been like to live to dictate that she should not be able to end her life peacefully and without suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Its incredible that a person in that situation can't choose to end their own life in a controlled and peacefull way.what exactly is the law on it? is it simply a case that suicide is illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

It's like my old dog, we had great times. Sadly her time had come, she was still alive in body but the suffering from old ages, her time was now. We took the decision to end it for her and put her to sleep.

Same should be available for humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Very sad story and not a nice way to die :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sykk wrote: »
    Yes euthanasia should absolutely be an option.

If I, or a loved one ever gets so ill that you become immobile then no filthy TD from Mayo is going to tell me I'm now allowedl to die in the comfort of my own home.
    Absolutely. My mum and I have a heroin overdose pact for if we ever find ourselves in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

My best mates Mum has MS and has done for 20 odd years and she is pretty much at the same stage mobility wise as the poor lady in the article.Its a horrible illness and to see someone effectively waste away must be heart breaking for the family.

Euthanasia is a tricky subject but I think for people that have their full brain function but are effectively trapped in their body,and that want to end their life,then they should be allowed that option and I think its pretty selfish of family,friends or law to deny them it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

theteal wrote: »

quite simply, yes.
    +1 it's easy to say no but any illness like that must be dehabilitating both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What a brave woman! There was nothing tragic about her death, but an awful lot tragic about her life. She should have been able to end it in peace and dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

Absolutely, people should have the right to decide whether or not they want to live or die. Ms and many other long term illnesses cause more mental torture to the person than anything the disease does to the body.

Imagine lying on a bed in you own faeces, the embarrassment of having someone come clean you, feed you ? Or hoping a wishing someone would come because you can't use your thumb to press a call bell. I've done all these things for people with many debilitating illnesses and watching them trying to avoid your eyes through their own embarrassment is the most awful feeling in the world.

That's one very brave lady, I'm truely sorry she as a human being felt throwing herself into the canal was her only option. Ffs we bring our pets to a loving place, hold their paw and hug them while they pass away. We allow our own kind to be left with the canal as their only option ??? The mind boogles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Its incredible that a person in that situation can't choose to end their own life in a controlled and peacefull way.what exactly is the law on it? is it simply a case that suicide is illegal?

They can't kill themselves, so it's assisted suicide (they need someone to voluntarily help them end it all)- which is treated as murder in a lot of countries. Mostly because they don't recognise the concept of assisted suicide (legally, that is - I'm sure they're well aware of the concept) for a variety of cultural and/or political reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 emmosea

The Criminal Law (Suicide) Act, 1993 provides that Suicide is no longer a crime. Prior to that, it was a criminal act, and, because nobody should gain financially from a criminal act, Insurance companies did not pay out on Suicide cases. Thankfully that is no longer the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Euthanasia is a tricky subject but I think for people that have their full brain function but are effectively trapped in their body,and that want to end their life,then they should be allowed that option and I think its pretty selfish of family,friends or law to deny them it.

I bolded this part in particular because this is something I watched my father go through and it is horrendous. I am 100% in support of a persons right to choose to end their suffering. My Dad had motor neuron disease which effectively left him trapped in his own body. He required constant care and supervision, he could not feed himself, wash himself, move himself in any way other than turning his head and towards the end, even that was difficult.

He raised the issue of self-termination about six months before he died. It was upsetting but actually entirely understandable. The only reason that he didn't go to Switzerland was that he feared that whoever went with him would be prosecuted on their return to Ireland and he refused to put anyone in that position. That kind of existence is not a life; it's a constant torture which is continually reinforcing as you have to ask for assistance with everything. I'd watch him try to scratch an itch by dragging his head back and forth over a pillow because it was something he could still do and it was heartbreaking.

Death is painful for those left behind and I still miss him but I would never, never wish him back to face that kind of life. This is one case where the law is not only an ass, it is inflicting cruel and unusual punishment on those who are already suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

God what a heart-breaking story. When i hear of stories like this it always makes me think that it should be allowed although I've lost both my parents to cancer and I wanted them around for as long as possible so I suppose in a very selfish way I don't agree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kylith wrote: »
    It's sort of evident from this story that even if they do allow terminally ill people to end their own life it's not going to be as simple as the family sitting around saying goodbye. While I'm all for euthanasia for people in this woman's position I think it's going to take another generation for the idea to be allowed, family just won't want to let go in many cases, regardless of the persons quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Fair play to this woman. She did the right thing because she wasn't going to get any help from her family. Whether that was because they feared prosecution or just refused to help it's not clear.

Life is precious but not are all costs. There comes a time when it's time to say enough is enough. It's a shame that we as a society brush this issue under the carpet. Living wills should have a legal standing in this country. As far as I know they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

ScumLord wrote: »
    family just won't want to let go in many cases, regardless of the persons quality of life.

While this may be the case some of the time, I know my family would have much rather have let my Dad go than watch him suffer.

Ireland and England still prosecute 'assisted suicide' cases and there is a horrible Catch-22 situation when it comes to the likes of MS or Motor Neuron Disease in that they are progressive illnesses; when they are still capable of self-terminating they still have a degree of quality of life. It is when they become trapped in their own bodies that their life becomes about existence and not living but they are then no longer capable. My Dad chose to extend his own suffering rather than allow for the chance that someone he loved might be prosecuted for helping him and that is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Yet another reason why the name 'Terry Wahls' should be known to all MS sufferrers and her book: the first prescription written by neurologists for newly diagnosed patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Poor woman.
    She should definitely have been allowed to end her own life rather than go through what she did.
    I'd be all for euthanasia as long as the person is of sound mind and is able to think clearly and possibly have to go through some sort of counselling sessions beforehand just to make sure they're not just doing it without fully thinking it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I cant see how anyone can justify forcing someone to live a miserable existance and not have the option to end their own life, we'd put a dog or horse down for something that would limit their mobility or quality of life yet are content to let human beings suffer for decades and live with the indignity of not being able to do anything for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Brave of her? Selfish and dangerous more like, what if someone saw her floating and jumped in to save her but drowned?

Thats what happened my friend a few years ago, saw someone face down in a canal, jumped in to try and rescue him and drowned himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I feel very sorry for her and her familiy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Brave of her? Selfish and dangerous more like, what if someone saw her floating and jumped in to save her but drowned?

Thats what happened my friend a few years ago, saw someone face down in a canal, jumped in to try and rescue him and drowned himself.

She obviously didn't think of that. But if she was legally allowed to end her life in a comfortable way then that wouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

It's unfortunate that Fenian army's friend died but it should not take away from this poor woman's plight. She was on borrowed time regarding how long she could continue to do anything for herself. Her family weren't going to help so she was facing into an even more horrible death if she didn't take action. When it comes to degenerative diseases like this one, you can't rely on other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Brave of her? Selfish and dangerous more like, what if someone saw her floating and jumped in to save her but drowned? Thats what happened my friend a few years ago, saw someone face down in a canal, jumped in to try and rescue him and drowned himself.

Not to mention the longterm effects it could have on the workers who saw her, the copper who tried to save her, the paramedics, the family she left behind etc etc.

It's always strange when a story like this comes along and people applaud the woman involved for being brave on the one hand and then as a society we are trying our hardest to prevent suicide on the other.

I know of a family on the continent with a similarly disabled member who was unofficially told to consider 'euthanasia' as an option.. why? because their family were struggling to cope with the costs of long term care. Fantastic in that case. As if he wasn't feeling like a burden on them already. It may seem fine to support euthanasia but not so easy to put into practice and implement. It's an incredibly difficult situation which isn't solved by simply legalising euthanasia.

cymbaline wrote: »
    Her family weren't going to help ...

In fairness to them you have no idea what they were going through and doing to help the woman. There are much more difficult ways of helping her than buying her a one way ticket to Switzerland,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yet another reason why the name 'Terry Wahls' should be known to all MS sufferrers and her book: the first prescription written by neurologists for newly diagnosed patients.
    Some caution is required here. Wahls only talks about Secondary Progressive (SP) MS, not the Relapsing-Remitting (RR) type, which is far more common at first diagnosis. In general, claims of "reversing MS" need to approached very sceptically, and Wahls has a disclaimer on her website in case anyone thinks she is making such claims. Of course diet and exercise are beneficial, but that's a different question.

As already pointed out (I think): what happens in clinics in Switzerland etc. is not Euthanasia, it's assisted suicide. If you saw that documentary made by Sir Terry Pratchett, the patient took the pills unaided. Such details are scrupulously observed for legal reasons. The only thing that prevented the patient in the OP's story from doing this was cost, not a legal issue of any sort.

It's not nice to think about it, but everyone dies: if we know the day is approaching, then refusing to think about the details of when and how is a denial of that fact. My concerns about dying are not about death in the abstract sense, but are about the details. Will it be painful? Will I be a burden on others, alive or dead? These are questions that we can at least try to answer, and we can find ways to avoid those potential problems in the process of dying.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

prinz wrote: »
    Not to mention the longterm effects it could have on the workers who saw her, the copper who tried to save her, the paramedics, the family she left behind etc etc.

It's always strange when a story like this comes along and people applaud the woman involved for being brave on the one hand and then as a society we are trying our hardest to prevent suicide on the other.[...]

That's a little glib, don't you think? We try to prevent suicide by those who suffer from psychological trauma, for whom there is help.

But if someone has a degenerative disease like this, for whom nothing can be done, how does one justify forcing them to live in pain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Dean09 wrote: »
    She obviously didn't think of that. But if she was legally allowed to end her life in a comfortable way then that wouldn't be an issue.

But she wasn't allowed, and must take responsibility, or at the very least those muppets saying "fair play" or whatever should take it on board that the victims of suicide aren't just those who kill themselves, but often random strangers like my friend.

twinQuins wrote: »
    That's a little glib, don't you think? We try to prevent suicide by those who suffer from psychological trauma, for whom there is help.

Not really no. The article mentions that she was suffering from depression. Probably brought on because of her health condition, but still depression. If it was brought on by financial worries would posters still be lining up to comment on how brave she was? I don't think so. They'd probably be suggesting ways she should have/could have gotten or been given help. Remove the condition from the equation and what I see is a depressed woman taking her own life.
    But if someone has a degenerative disease like this, for whom nothing can be done, how does one justify forcing them to live in pain?

Let's say it had progressed to the stage that she had no control over her movements and couldn't communicate her desire to end her life. How do we justify forcing her to live then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, much better to ignore the realities and make laws on (however flawed) principles.

Sad, sad case this. Still, she got her relief in the end, just ridiculous what she had to do to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

That's a contradiction in terms. The person with the degenerative disease is suffering psychological trauma enough to want to end their own lives.

Would you not stop a member of your family from killing themselves if they were suffering from psychologcal trauma brought on by depression/schizonphrenia/physical illness?

The crime is that sufferers aren't getting or can't get the right treatment both physical and psychological.

It just seems sometimes that life is treated like an affliction and disease rather than something that should be more respected. Kill it and the pain goes away. What most depressed suicidals think!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

FLOOPER wrote: »
    That's a contradiction in terms. The person with the degenerative disease is suffering psychological trauma enough to want to end their own lives.

Would you not stop a member of your family from killing themselves if they were suffering from psychologcal trauma brought on by depression/schizonphrenia/physical illness?

The crime is that sufferers aren't getting or can't get the right treatment both physical and psychological.

It just seems sometimes that life is treated like an affliction and disease rather than something that should be more respected. Kill it and the pain goes away. What most depressed suicidals think!

But depression causing psychological trauma can be treated.

A terminal illness causing psychological trauma can't be treated so you can't truly rid the person of the trauma.

And of course there's the crucial factor of the loss of quality of life involved in debilitating illnesses, completely apart from any psychological trauma. Again, that's often of a purely physical nature and untreatable.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

crazygeryy wrote: »

Suicide was de-criminalised in 1992 I believe, this just a case of people being cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Terrible thing that woman had to do, a really tragic case. I'm a 33 year old guy with progressive MS, I certainly hope I don't end up in that situation. If I do I'll be paying a final visit out to Howth Head, life isn't worth living if you are in constant pain and getting more and more disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

But depression causing psychological trauma can be treated.

A terminal illness causing psychological trauma can't be treated so you can't truly rid the person of the trauma.

And of course there's the crucial factor of the loss of quality of life involved in debilitating illnesses, completely apart from any psychological trauma. Again, that's often of a purely physical nature and untreatable.

Well yes to a point but the point I'm tryingto make is that it's not the debilitating illness directly that's causing the sufferer to end their life but the psychological trauma around it.

People who have schizophrenia are never cured. Their symptoms are diminsihed somewhat by drugs if they're lucky. It's supposed to be one of the most tortuous diseases one can suffer from.

I think if more energy/compassion/love was put into sufferers of MS into their mental wellbeing then I think as a species/people we would be going in the right direction.

I'm sure hospices around the country could teach us something maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

God, poor woman what a horrible way to die. :(

Alzheimers runs in my family (only the women seem to get it, lucky me!) and my mam has said to us a good few times that if she ever gets it, rather than lose her dignity and mind she's heading to Dignitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

The 53-year-old waited until a crew of workmen cleaning graffiti nearby went on a break before heaving her body, which was immobile from the chest down, into the water.

Wait, what? The way it's written it sounds like the workers threw her into the canal?:confused:

Edit: ohh wait nevermind. So she waited for them to leave and then went into the water by herself. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Well yes to a point but the point I'm tryingto make is that it's not the debilitating illness directly that's causing the sufferer to end their life but the psychological trauma around it.

People who have schizophrenia are never cured. Their symptoms are diminsihed somewhat by drugs if they're lucky. It's supposed to be one of the most tortuous diseases one can suffer from.

I think if more energy/compassion/love was put into sufferers of MS into their mental wellbeing then I think as a species/people we would be going in the right direction.

I'm sure hospices around the country could teach us something maybe.

I agree that care aimed at the psychological suffering of people with debilitating illnesses is essential.

I just think that for some people the loss of quality of life is too high, from their perspective, and they can quite rationally decide that they don't want to carry on living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Euthanasia should be completely legal with no consequences for any accomplices, it's a persons own body they can do as they wish, it was selfish of her sister to refuse to buy the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

The poor lady,I would have certainly done what she did and would fully support the introduction of legal euthanasia or assisted suicide.

I always have been for it. However, when reading this I thought of my own recent experiences. I was diagnosed with a long term illness, thankfully nothing that would effect me as severely as ms, however I spent a few weeks in hospital in a ward with people who were suffering from ms of various levels of severity, it's not a nice disease at any level believe me. I got to know one girl very well over about four weeks, she could only use her head and neck and her left arm to a minimal extent. I got to know her so well, between the two if us we operated like one person and helped each other with things that we couldnt do for ourselves.she generally was very content with life and having lived with her ms for many years she had accepted her lot in life. however the one thing that ate away at her was the burden that she felt she placed on her family. I am almost certain that this girl if given the chance and because she is just so selfless would probably choose assisted suicide if given the option purely because she would believe her family would rather not have her as a burden despite her otherwise enjoying life, sadly her family did come across like this to me when they came to visit her which was no where near as frequently as my own family visited me.

Ultimately, meeting this girl and getting to know her and what she was like made me really think about this and wonder how much this option could be regulated to ensure that people were choosing suicide for the "right" reasons rather than feeling pressured into it.

I hope I have explained this properly and that people understand what I am saying. I don't disagree with it and have always been for it but I do now have concerns about it after learning more about people who would seriously consider this option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement