Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Parkway/Dunboyne roundabout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not seeing it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

I think you're confused. That arrow simply indicates that one lane splits into two lanes. It doesn't indicate that the right lane is for taking the second exit on the roundabout. There are no markings of this kind which means the left lane must be used for the first and second exit.
    http://g.co/maps/68rk4

If there were markings on the road before the roundabout they'd look like this.
    roundabout.jpg?w=450&h=337

I'd suggest you begin driving around the roundabout in question correctly before you cause an accident.

That arrow used to mean that the traffic split into two lanes as you suggest but they removed the left branch of it during the upgrade works. It is now a single arrow poining towards the right hand lane which cannot be interpreted in any other manner than the way I have outlined. If the arrow was removed entirely, I would interpret the roundabout as normal - left lane for exit 1 & 2, right lane for exit 3.

I agree with you completely about the arrows in the picture above and this is the way that the markings on the Fairyhouse Rd. roundabout should also be set out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

davyd07 wrote: »
    That arrow used to mean that the traffic split into two lanes as you suggest but they removed the left branch of it during the upgrade works. It is now a single arrow poining towards the right hand lane which cannot be interpreted in any other manner than the way I have outlined. If the arrow was removed entirely, I would interpret the roundabout as normal - left lane for exit 1 & 2, right lane for exit 3.
    You are so very wrong and unfortunately you're too stubborn to admit it (all too common in Ireland unfortunately). Luckily, I always take the third exit on that roundabout so I'll be in the right lane regardless. But for the people in the correct lane (ie the left lane) for taking the second exit, you will just continue to cut them off dangerously despite it being pointed out to you that you are in the wrong. In a way, I hope that you do cause an accident because, by the looks of it, the only way you will change your driving behaviour will be when you have to pay for the damage you caused to another person's car.
    I agree with you completely about the arrows in the picture above and this is the way that the markings on the Fairyhouse Rd. roundabout should also be set out.
    Well, surely the fact that they're not set out like the pcture above is a clue that you shouldn't be using the right lane to go straight on.

You are so very wrong and unfortunately you're too stubborn to admit it (all too common in Ireland unfortunately). Luckily, I always take the third exit on that roundabout so I'll be in the right lane regardless. But for the people in the correct lane (ie the left lane) for taking the second exit, you will just continue to cut them off dangerously despite it being pointed out to you that you are in the wrong. In a way, I hope that you do cause an accident because, by the looks of it, the only way you will change your driving behaviour will be when you have to pay for the damage you caused to another person's car.

Well, surely the fact that they're not set out like the pcture above is a clue that you shouldn't be using the right lane to go straight on.

No, unfortunately it is a clue that the NRA / Meath Co. Co. have made a balls of it and couldn't be bothered / haven't got the money to put it right. You say that the arrow indicates the traffic splitting into 2 lanes.....then why have they removed the left arrow and repainted the straight ahead arrow?

By the way, I find your comment in red above ofensive and would never wish anybody to have an accident.

Regarding my driving behaviour, I have zero points and zero accidents on my record. I have never cut anybody up on this roundabout or any other one, in fact, I have gone around again on a number of occasions to avoid such an occurance and to avoid drivers who fail to read the road markings correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

davyd07 are you talking about the arrow that is linked to in Hammer Archer's previous post?

That arrow isn't relating to the lanes on the roundabout. It used to have a forward arrow and a left arrow indicating the lanes splitting. I'm not sure why the left one has been removed, maybe they haven't got around to re-painting it after doing upgrades.

If it was an arrow indicating lanes for the roundabout, it wouldn't be that far back from the roundabout and it certainly wouldn't appear on the road before it even splits into two lanes.

• Advertisement

davyd07 are you talking about the arrow that is linked to in Hammer Archer's previous post?

That arrow isn't relating to the lanes on the roundabout. It used to have a forward arrow and a left arrow indicating the lanes splitting. I'm not sure why the left one has been removed, maybe they haven't got around to re-painting it after doing upgrades.

If it was an arrow indicating lanes for the roundabout, it wouldn't be that far back from the roundabout and it certainly wouldn't appear on the road before it even splits into two lanes.

ibarelycare, you are on the money with this. My whole point in raising this was to generate a discussion on the mater because the current situation is not clear. There is no requirement for the arrow to be there at all. As I said if it was removed, the roundabout would be a normal roundabout without any ambiguity. As it stands, the arrow directs traffic going straight on for Dunshaughlin to the right hand lane and does not direct vehicles turning left anywhere! Similarly, the speed limit on this road is crazy, 60 kph all the way and then 80kph within 200m of the roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ok, just passed the roundabout there on the way home.
    I can see where the confusion lies.
    The arrows before the roundabout indicate that the single lane is now two lanes because the bus lane has ended.
    The arrow pointing left seems to be worn away rather than removed.
    The arrows do not indicate which lane you should be in on the roundabout.
    Bacic rules of the road and right of way still apply to the roundabout.

Ok, just passed the roundabout there on the way home.
    I can see where the confusion lies.
    The arrows before the roundabout indicate that the single lane is now two lanes because the bus lane has ended.
    The arrow pointing left seems to be worn away rather than removed.
    The arrows do not indicate which lane you should be in on the roundabout.
    Bacic rules of the road and right of way still apply to the roundabout.

"The arrows before the roundabout indicate that the single lane is now two lanes because the bus lane has ended" Is this a new rule and system of road marking? If what you are saying is correct, I have never seen it anywhere else either in this country or in the U.K. There is only one arrow -the left spur was removed and the straight on repainted. It is thoroughly confusing and an oversight on behalf of the NRA / Couny Council but I have to argue that it cannot be interpreted any other way than how I have outlined. I have seen the Garda Traffic Corps use the roundabout in the same way as I do also, so I presume they know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Hi Davy

You interpretation is incorrect and I wouldn't copy anything I see the guards doing on the road (running red lights, using mobile phones, speeding, incorrect lane use, double line parking etc.). They're bound by a different set of laws.

The location of the arrow and its distance from the roundabout makes it clear that it was intended for indicating one lane splitting into two. That they haven't re-painted the left arrow beggers belief. A single arrow pointing forward in a lane of traffic serves no purpose. So I can understand you trying to find a purpose for it. But that's incorrect. Never underestimate the ineptitude of some of the people in charge of road and cycle lane markings.

Exhibit A:
    cutteslowe.jpg

You'd be in the wrong if you were in a collision and that's the bottom line unfortunately.

davy, no offence intended but your stubbornness to move from your position is really showing through.
    The arrow in question is pointless and you're right, it should be painted over, but to interpret it as relating to the correct lane you should be when going around the roundabout is ridiculous.
    Firstly, the fact that it is so far away from the roundabout itself is a giveaway that it has nothing to do with what lane you should use to take the second exit. Any road markings that require you to change from the normal would be much much closer to the roundabout itself (as in the picture above).

Secondly, where are the markings for the other exits if you are correct? Surely I could do the same as you and say that the road markings obviously mean for people to use the left lane to take the third exit (seeing as according to you, the right lane appears to be for those taking the second exit only).

Please just face it, you are wrong in this case. You should start using the left lane for taking the second exit because, if you do happen to have an accident, you will be at fault.
    I have seen the Garda Traffic Corps use the roundabout in the same way as I do also, so I presume they know what they are doing.
    I have also seen the Garda Traffic Corps run red lights, use bus lanes in heavy traffic etc. It certainly doesn't mean ordinary, every day drivers should do it.

• Advertisement

156vbs2.png
    Here is the exat arrow and approach to the Fairyhouse roundabout.
    Ok the arrow pointing left has been removed and re-painted but look how far it is from the roundabout, it has absolutly nothing to do with the roundabout.

In This video it clearly states only use the right lane to go straight if the left lane is blocked or you are instructed by road markings.
    If the left lane was for the Trim road only it would be clearly marked or signposted which it is not so the same rules apply to this roundabout as every other roundabout. there is also no reason you would be instructed to use the right lane, the one in the video is EXATLY the same as the Fairyhouse roundabout.

156vbs2.png
    Here is the exat arrow and approach to the Fairyhouse roundabout.
    Ok the arrow pointing left has been removed and re-painted but look how far it is from the roundabout, it has absolutly nothing to do with the roundabout.
    That as clear as you can get to be honest. There isn't even two lanes where that arrow is.

I seem to be outnumbered and under attack from some quarters - constructive points from others are welcomed. I am still waiting for somebody to tell me why this arrow is here. I know it was there before the road was realigned, but it has been reinstated for a reason. If somebody can explain what the reason is (other than what I have stated) I would be grateful.

I seem to be outnumbered and under attack from some quarters - constructive points from others are welcomed.
    Someone disagreeing with you does not mean you're under attack. And to be fair, there is a reason you're outnumbered.
    I am still waiting for somebody to tell me why this arrow is here. I know it was there before the road was realigned, but it has been reinstated for a reason. If somebody can explain what the reason is (other than what I have stated) I would be grateful.
    Trying to be constructive here, why don't you contact Meath County Council and ask? I honestly don't know why that arrow is there as it would make more sense to either paint over both or leave both visible.

Someone disagreeing with you does not mean you're under attack. And to be fair, there is a reason you're outnumbered.

You are correct disagreeing is not an attack, however wishing somebody to have an accident most certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

That as clear as you can get to be honest. There isn't even two lanes where that arrow is.

If it's in a single carriageway (as it is here) then it is only to indicate the flow of traffic.

You are correct disagreeing is not an attack, however wishing somebody to have an accident most certainly is.
    Sensitive are we? I hardly wished for you to be involved in a massive fireball did I? Unfortunately I've found that a significant amount of people flatly refuse to believe they are in the wrong while driving no matter how many times it is pointed out to them (you're certainly not alone) and often it takes a minor accident and a hit to the wallet for them to realize.
    If you do realize now that the correct way to take the roundabout in question is in the left lane then, great, you don't need to cause a minor accident to realize you were in the wrong.

Sensitive are we? I hardly wished for you to be involved in a massive fireball did I? Unfortunately I've found that a significant amount of people flatly refuse to believe they are in the wrong while driving no matter how many times it is pointed out to them (you're certainly not alone) and often it takes a minor accident and a hit to the wallet for them to realize.
    If you do realize now that the correct way to take the roundabout in question is in the left lane then, great, you don't need to cause a minor accident to realize you were in the wrong.

Not sensitive Hammer, I just prefer to have a discussion without wishing bad fortune and injury on the other participants that is all.
    bladespin wrote: »
    If it's in a single carriageway (as it is here) then it is only to indicate the flow of traffic.

I don't think there is any requirement to indicate what way you should be pointing at that point! Then again, it is a more valid point than a lot of the others that have been made here!

Not sensitive Hammer, I just prefer to have a discussion without wishing bad fortune and injury on the other participants that is all.

+1
    I don't think there is any requirement to indicate what way you should be pointing at that point! Then again, it is a more valid point than a lot of the others that have been made here!

I think bladespin hit the nail on the head.
    I didn't want to insult anyone's intelligence by saying your vehicle should be pointing the same way as the arrow.
    I was trying to make the point that it is not there to indicate you should take the right lane to go straight.
    I hope you now understand that if you were to have a tip you would be in the wrong as the inside lane would have right of way for going straight.
    If this thread has made you aware and prevents that, it has been a result, I just wish everyone that uses both roundabouts could see this.

OK let me rephrase it: I hope that you realise that you have been using this roundabout incorrectly without having to cause an accident on it. Seeing as the former didn't seem likely, the latter was looking more likely.
    I really do hope you begin to use the roundabout correctly as I've seen far too many close calls on that roundabout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement