Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another phone shop in Blackrock...

Options
  • 24-02-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Just popped out to grab a bite to eat there and what was formally the bookies at George's Ave/Main St. is being branded with eMobile and Meteor logos.

So that's now Meteor, Vodafone, o2, the small phone shop in the shopping centre and a Carphone Warehouse. The only one missing is Three, which of course is my own network (tragic irony).

Can we get some real shops please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

mailforkev wrote: »
    Just popped out to grab a bite to eat there and what was formally the bookies at George's Ave/Main St. is being branded with eMobile and Meteor logos.

So that's now Meteor, Vodafone, o2, the small phone shop in the shopping centre and a Carphone Warehouse. The only one missing is Three, which of course is my own network (tragic irony).

Can we get some real shops please

They are real shops, and they wouldn't be there if there wasn't the business for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Damn, I was hoping it would be another bookies to give Boyles some competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

BDJW wrote: »
    They are real shops, and they wouldn't be there if there wasn't the business for them!
    I think the OP means diverse, locally-run businesses, rather than generic high-street stores (phone shops, convenience stores and so on) that appear on the high street of every UK town and city. See Grafton Street for a worse example of a declining retail area.

Sad to see Blackrock village in such decline when villages like Ranelagh, Sandymount and Terenure are thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Dublin villages generally do well for independent shops. Which one do people feel is the best? I think ranelagh is really good, though it could do with a street market!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I think the OP means diverse, locally-run businesses, rather than generic high-street stores...
    Sad to see Blackrock village in such decline when villages like Ranelagh, Sandymount and Terenure are thriving.

Exactly.

I just noticed that Gentleman Please, the men's clothes shop in Blackrock, shut its doors at the weekend. Walked by it there and the owner has a letter posted on the window.

Another fairly well established store gone, it really is sad to see the village with so many empty units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think the OP means diverse, locally-run businesses, rather than generic high-street stores (phone shops, convenience stores and so on) that appear on the high street of every UK town and city. See Grafton Street for a worse example of a declining retail area.

Obviously there's no demand for them, would you rather see people waste their money on a business doomed from the start and hire next to no one there or a generic high street store that there is demand for, makes money and creates jobs for the area?

Advertisement