Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question

Options
  • 24-02-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭

HI,

I'm trying to pick up the Shanwick frequencies on my iCom R20. I'm new to all of this and I did have a radio before but it's a while now. I am puzzled about a few things though.

First, I see one of Shanwick's frequencies is 1329KHz. For that I assume the radio should be set to AM and to 1.329? Correct?

I'm also a bit confused in that I can tune in 121.700 and the radio selects FM, but I can move the band to AM and also tune in 121.700.

On either band I don't hear much. I'm in Galway. Should I be able to hear the Shannon tower or approach from where I am or am I just too far way for that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

121.700 is Shannon (EINN) Oceanic Clearance AM. You will only be able to hear the signal clearly on one band (AM/FM) however you will have signal reception on both.

for more Shannon frequencies go here function=search&where_clause=&page=173&order=Mode&order_type=DESC
    and enter
    type=air and description contains shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks DannyD, that looks like a partial URL though?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Indeed.
    http://www.frequencydb.com and click on database

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

squonk wrote: »
    HI,

I'm trying to pick up the Shanwick frequencies on my iCom R20. I'm new to all of this and I did have a radio before but it's a while now. I am puzzled about a few things though.

First, I see one of Shanwick's frequencies is 1329KHz. For that I assume the radio should be set to AM and to 1.329? Correct?

I'm also a bit confused in that I can tune in 121.700 and the radio selects FM, but I can move the band to AM and also tune in 121.700.

On either band I don't hear much. I'm in Galway. Should I be able to hear the Shannon tower or approach from where I am or am I just too far way for that?

Thanks

Hi there,

Your 1329kHz frequency is wrong I think - should be 13291kHz as far as I know. 1329kHz would be within the AM broadcast band. To receive Shanwick on 13291kHz, you'll need to select USB (Upper Sideband) on your receiver, and you'll probably need a reasonable length of wire as an antenna. A normal extendable whip antenna probably will not yield good results for this. This frequency is in the HF (High Frequency) area of the radio spectrum.

From around 118MHz to around 136MHz is the air band - this is in the VHF (Very High Frequency) area of the spectrum. These frequencies are reserved for air traffic and related comms, and you will only hear relatively local comms on this band (although you will hear airborne planes up to a few hundred kms away as there's nothing between you and the plane to absorb the signals - unlike ground comms which will probably be restricted to under 20kms or less depending on your antenna). This band is all AM.

A note on modes and frequencies. AM/FM/USB are modes of communication, or modulation types. Frequencies are specific locations within the radio spectrum, like 118MHz or 13291kHz etc. You can have any mode on any frequency, but generally specific modes are used on specific frequency ranges - like AM being used for the air band, Wide FM being used for broadcast stations like 2FM etc., and USB/LSB being used for HF communications.

Your antenna is most important - regardless of what you listen to on your scanner, it must be remembered that a built-in whip type antenna will not perform anywhere near as good as a roof-top scanner antenna for VHF/UHF, or a long wire type antenna mounted outside or in the attic for HF work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another frequency list here.

http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt3/radio/ATCCC.HTM

5598 and 5649 kHz are very active frequencies. This is in Upper Side Band mode (USB) and is for air traffic control over the North Atlantic. You will also hear other ATC centres such as New York and Gander, Newfoundland. You can listen to Shannon Volmet on 5505 kHz, this is for airport weather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLA-D0Og9Uc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM6bvRdgX8o

• Advertisement
Advertisement