Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time Wasted or Not?

• 24-02-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Basically I picked up the guitar for the first time in 2009 and took a few lessons but still have a very limited ability. I should probably practice more, but tend to get sidetracked when I'm just strumming and come across progressions and rhythms that to me sound nice.

I am not a singer either and would never claim to be so it took me a while lurking here to pick up the courage to post the link above. You might notice
    So I bought a Boss Micro BR at Christmas and this is some of what I've recorded so far:

http://soundcloud.com/elding

I'm also not one to try umpteen takes until the sound is perfect so apologies in advance.

Note the highest bitrate the Micro BR can do is 128kps for MP3s. Not that it makes a big difference :o Not sure why the volume on the first song is so low either. Just getting used to the gear I guess.

I can explain what each of the songs are about if anyone's interested. They're not terribly deep, I don't think, but I'm noticing a pattern where I'm kind of critical of the world around me. Basically one's about debauchery, one's about labour exploitation and the other is about large multinational chains (I'll let ye guess which is which). I'll have to try a happier song next time.

Most important questions I guess is am I wasting my time? Second question (probably more important); am I ripping anyone off that I'm not aware of? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

If you're enjoying it, it isn't wasted time.

I like them, especially The Watcher, reminded me of Dire Straits or Leonard Cohen. Wouldn't be surprised to hear something like it on an album from a signed artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Hey, thanks very much. I was getting a little worried about the lack of responses.

But your most important point is about enjoying it, which I certainly do.

As I'm not playing that long and have never been in a band, I'm planning on tricking about with a few ideas for a while and then maybe seeing if I can collaborate with someone at a later stage. So I really just want to check if I can bring something to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catbird

Man i like the leonard cohen quality too , youre on the right track , just be creative , pick up an instrument and be creative , dont get into playing covers or joining some pub band

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Hi.
    Had a listen. Not my cup of tea, but I like your voice.

Do stay at it. Guitar is something you must practise at, and it gets easier and better all the time.

Dont be shy on the singing either- dont whisper too much!!!!!! The Saturday Show could do with bit of a vocal lift IMO.

:)Thumbs UP!!! Keep at it, you have great potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Time spent with guitars or cats is never wasted.
    Also it takes 10,000 hours to be anything special at anything.
    Also I didn't listen to the clip so ignore my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

If you don't keep at it you'll never get better.

If you had fun writing, playing and recording those tracks then I'd say that's reason enough to keep doing it

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So I've kept at it and wrote another two songs. Unfortunately I hadn't exported the first one as an MP3 before moving onto the second and in the inevitable f*ck up I managed to delete it.

So I've only uploaded the second one, called "Macroscopy" and will have to re-visit the first at a later stage.

This is probably the simplest song I've written yet and I didn't feel the urge to add any extra guitar or drums to it. Recorded through the Mic on the Boss Micro BR.

Let me know if I've any pending Lawsuits.

Advertisement