Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Section and having tubes tied

Options
  • 24-02-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I am on my third pregnancy and have been asked if when having my section did I want to undergo a sterilisation (sp) at the same time.

I have made up my mind that 3 children is more than enough for me and I am happy to take up the consultants offer and have this done at the same time as the section.

Just wondering if anyone else has had it done or is considering it this time round.

If you had it done did it have any impact on the recovery period

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

fitzcoff wrote: »
    I am on my third pregnancy and have been asked if when having my section did I want to undergo a sterilisation (sp) at the same time.

I have made up my mind that 3 children is more than enough for me and I am happy to take up the consultants offer and have this done at the same time as the section.

Just wondering if anyone else has had it done or is considering it this time round.

If you had it done did it have any impact on the recovery period

My cousin had it done after her 4th child. It was done at the same time as her C-Section. It made more sense to her and her doctor to do it then rather than put her through another procedure later.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

To be honest it wasn't something that I had even considered until the consultant said it to me. As this will be my third section he felt that it would be safer to do it at the time rather than attempting it at a later stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Does age play any part in the Hospital granting you a sterilization at all?

I heard you have to be over 30 or something like that? Is that a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I'm not sure but I am 32, 33 on Mon. The consultant brought it up at my first appointment and before that I had not even thought about it.

I have a friend who was attending the same consultant privately (I'm Public) and she is 42 and on her second pregnancy with high bp and it was never offered to her. She was having an elective section and at no stage was it discussed. She would have gladly agreed to have it done but didn't realise that she could have.

The consultant put it to me that if I was happy with 3 children he would recommend it to me as I could produce eggs for the next 15 + years and do I want to have another child in my forties where they could be complications.

I did ask if he was suggesting it as he did not want to preform more than 3 sections on me. He said that if I wanted I could have as many as I want and he would do the section each time, he has done upto 6 on some patients but was giving me an option to think about it.

Advertisement