Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

There is too much polish for my liking, the learning curve on PS1 was easy enough when you got into the swing of it. PS2 feels like u have to spend hours just learning how to load out.

I had to spend upwards of 20-30 hours to really get a feel of the game, i was BR 15 before i knew how everything works. No game should take this long to get a hang of. it's how i'd imagine EVE learning curve to be, it's totally non noob friendly.
    Can't imagine how this game would feel to a casual fps player who never played ps1. If this game releases as is without some serious easy to follow tutorials it's going to die a death and never recover! you get ONE chance on a mmo, **** up release and you'll never recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

KilOit wrote: »
    Can't imagine how this game would feel to a casual fps player who never played ps1. If this game releases as is without some serious easy to follow tutorials it's going to die a death and never recover! you get ONE chance on a mmo, **** up release and you'll never recover.

Actually they have stated that there will be a tutorial, whether thats there for launch or not, I cant say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Actually they have stated that there will be a tutorial, whether thats there for launch or not, I cant say.

I hope so, there is nothing worse than jumping into a game and being to overwhelmed by too much happening at once.

Alot of games i tried over the years lost my interest in the first hour because i just couldnt be bothered with the learning curve. Thats probably why games like CS always appealed to me - u jump in and straight away you can have fun, not wandering around wondering whats happening.

I found it very hard to hit anything as a foot soldier, ive not played FPS in a while, but i didnt like the COF.

I tried flying a Mossie, it was like piloting a Gal in PS1.

I would recommend trying out the medics rifle... its surprisingly accurate( on each faction ), takes a bit of time to get used to the other classes weapons but as you unlock mods for the weapons or just new guns with certs that becomes easier.

Not quite sure how you could relate the mossie to a ps1 galaxy though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

KilOit wrote: »
    I never played PS1 and I don't exactly find PS2 hard to understand. The infantry mechanics are fairly similar to BF3, which I have about 600 hours played in. Then again, I watched countless videos on Youtube about PS2 before downloading it, a number of live streams and so on. At present, I'm pretty much a lone wolf on the battlefield - I'm not a member of an outfit or anything and probably won't bother joining one either, simply because I only get about 5 or 6 hours of gameplay in at the weekends.
    Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah actually just started playing as them the other day, gotta love the magrider biggrin.png
    Yeah, it's fcuking brilliant! :D Certed a bunch of stuff for it, but I'm saving up for the hellfire rockets for my sythe (scythe?) now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Fed up with the chilly weather on Esamir or too parched from the sandstorms on Indar? Request deployment to Amerish! This recently discovered continent is filled with lush vegetation and beautiful landscapes. It may be pretty but stop your gawking. That rolling meadow is full of Lightning tanks and these majestic mountain ranges are full of Infiltrators waiting for you to poke your pretty little head up. Check your ammo and tighten up your gear. You are going to have dig in to take this one.

If there is one thing new recruits can use, it’s more training. What better way to provide than to show you veterans in action. PlanetSide 2 has full Twitch integration which will let you quickly and easily put the next amazing battle you are in up for everyone to see.

General:

The Amerish continent is now available. Head to the Warpgate to access it.
    Pain Fields are now functional in the respawn areas.
    The Respawn Timer has been increased by 4 seconds.
    Falling damage has been reduced slightly.

Notable Bug Fixes:

Phalanx Turret projectiles from turrets are now visible to everyone
    Instant Action spawning to a Squad Leader should be functional again.
    Players should be able to purchase medical kits with the resupply button again.
    Gate Shields will now stop enemy projectiles
    Throwing a grenade on a highly populated server will no longer cause the grenade to explode in your hands.
    Health Regeneration from Restoration Kits will continue even after you swap weapons.
    Players will no longer spawn under Sunderers when using quick deploy.
    The Vehicle Ammo Resupply ability will now properly dispense ammunition when coupled with the AMS ability.
    Revive Grenades are now functional again.
    Players no longer spawn through the world at Tawrich Depot.
    Players can no longer get stuck in a "floating" state.

Weapons:

Tank mines do more damage to main battle tanks.
    C4 now does more damage to main battle tanks.
    50 cal MG bullets now travel farther before losing some damage
    30mm AA: COF increased. Projectile speed increased. Changed reticule.
    Swap times are faster. Swapping to a pistol got the biggest speed increase.
    MAX anti-vehicle weapons: Large increase to anti-vehicle damage. Reduced magazine sizes, faster reload speeds. These are now more similar to the main battle tank weapons in feel.
    All Semi-auto Sniper Rifles: Reduced near damage (hip fire range). Overall bullets to kill is the same.
    Accuracy is now lost faster when firing from the hip. Starting accuracy remains the same unless mentioned below.
    All weapon attachments are now available from the start. Costs have been adjusted.

New Conglomerate:

Gauss Rifle: Small increase to recoil.
    AF-14: Torrent: Reduced initial vertical recoil. Small increase to horizontal recoil, but gave a more learnable pull to the right. Decreased damage at range. Improved accuracy, especially when firing from the hip.
    Reaper DMR: Increased recoil over sustained fire. Reduced initial recoil, making burst fire and single shot much more effective. Increased accuracy.
    AF-19 Mercenary: Slightly increased horizontal drift during sustained firing.
    GD-7F: Reduced vertical recoil. Very small increase to horizontal drift over sustained fire. Made horizontal drift favor the left.
    EM9: Reduced initial vertical recoil, making follow up shots from range easier. Increased accuracy.
    Gauss SAW: Recoil recovers slower. Slowed down fire rate to 500 RPM, from 550 RPM.
    EM1: Reduce overall recoil. Increased reload speed. Increased accuracy when on the move.
    GD-22: Reload time is now consistent across all fire modes (incorrectly was slower in single shot mode). Lowered damage. Lowered vertical recoil.
    Increased projectile speed to be the fastest of the available NC LMGs.
    Mag-Shot: Increased accuracy. Lowered magazine size by 2.

Terran Republic:

T1 Cycler: Increased vertical recoil. Reduced horizontal drift. Decreased starting hip fire accuracy.
    RF-3: Increased accuracy. Reduced vertical recoil. Gave horizontal recoil a more predictable pull to the left. Reduced damage at long range.
    SABR-13: Fixed bug causing accuracy to be worse when crouched. Increased projectile speed. Reduced vertical recoil to allow more consistent landing of follow up shots at range.
    TRAC-5: Initial recoil direction is more predictable. Small increase to reload time when a bullet is in the chamber. Reloading when empty remains the same.
    LC2 Lynx: Reduced vertical recoil.
    T5 AMC: Very small increase to first shot recoil, but made direction more predictable. Reduced horizontal drift.
    T9 CARV: Reduced horizontal recoil. Small reduction to recoil recovery rate.
    T9 CARV-S: Increased rate of fire to 750 RPM, from 700. Reduced horizontal recoil. Increased projectile speed. Reduced initial recoil, making the burst fire mode more useful.
    MSW-R: Overall reduction in recoil. Increased rate of fire to 800 RPM, from 750, to better match the hip fire accuracy's benefit in CQC.
    Repeater: Increased accuracy. Small reduction to damage at long range.

Vanu Sovereignty

Pulsar VS1: First shot recoil is more predictable. Very small increase to horizontal drift.
    XM9 Centauri: Increased first shot recoil, but removed pull to the right.
    CME: Lowered first shot recoil so that it can better benefit from its faster projectile at range. Increased drift during sustained fire.
    Pulsar Compact: Recoil is now more similar to Pulsar VS1, meaning less recoil during sustained fire and a slight pull to the right.
    VX6-7: Reduced vertical recoil. Gave a more defined pull to the right. Increased hip fire accuracy.
    XM21-4 Carbine: Reduced recoil. Increased Accuracy. Added 10 to the magazine. Slowed down reload time.
    Orion: Small increase to initial recoil. Increased movement speed when in iron sights.
    VX29 Polaris: Reduced initial recoil to better match the benefits of its fast projectile at range.
    Pulsar LSW: Increased initial recoil, but made sustained fire more steady. Dropped fire rate to 700 RPM, from 750. Increased reload speed.
    Beamer: Increased projectile speed. Increased accuracy. Increased rate of fire. Reduced damage loss over range.

World:
    Numerous Capture area sizes on Indar have been increased and additional cover has been provided.
    Anti-tank Phalanx turrets now do less splash damage.
    Anti-Personnel Phalanx turrets are more accurate but have reduced damage.

Vehicles:

Damage done by Critical Fire damage reduced by 50%
    Direct hit damage of Lightning 100mms has increased.
    Many Anti-vehicle secondary weapons will now have increased projectile speed and damage.
    The reload time of the Prowler 120mm gun has been reduced.
    Vanguard and Lightning HE turrets have had their splash damage brought in line with the Magrider and Prowler.
    Sunderers can now only be deployed 200m or more from another Sunderer.

Aircraft:

Flak damage has been reduced and direct hits with projectiles now do less damage over range.
    Aircraft Rocket pod direct damage increased slightly. Rockets no longer accelerate over time and move at a flat rate.
    A2A missile damage increased
    Air Hammer Projectile Speed increased
    Increased Light aircraft resistance to 20mm Basilisk and 30mm Shredder
    composite Armor is now an available cert for Liberator and Galaxy

UI:

If you are in a squad and not the squad leader, the option to drop-pod on your leader is now available from the hotspots panel in the map screen.
    Spawn beacons no longer cost resources or use up a tool slot. Squad leaders will be able to use the spawn beacon on a timer.

Classes

Small reduction to speed of changing directions while strafing.
    Infiltrator recon tool sends mini-map info to all faction members and not just the squad.
    Fuel based abilities now start at max when you change to the class.
    Repair Tool can now overheat. You can upgrade the heat threshold and the repair rate through the related cert line.
    Ammunition package equips and throws faster. Ally ammo packs will now show on the mini-map.
    Reduced the effectiveness of the Resist Shield to be more in line with other Heavy Assault shield abilities. Added a movement penalty to the resist shield (slows the player down only while active)
    Slight increase to the Nanite Mesh Generator shield strength. Slight increase to the movement penalty of the Nanite Mesh Generator.
    Increased HP given by Nanoweave Armor.
    Moved MAX ammo certs into utilities slot.
    Updated MAX Kinetic Armor, now it will only resist small arms fire (infantry weapons).

linky

Big patch, really liking space vietman so far seems like they have improved performance too quite a lot. now that AA has been nerfed the skies are noticeably fuller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Didn't see it mentioned already so for today only station cash is by x3 these don't come around often so best grab it now if you plan on playing a lot on release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm a bit unsure on the Aircraft flank change; are they saying they nerfed MAX Flak or are they saying there is some Aircraft flak gun that's nerfed and thank feck for moving ammo cert into utilities; no one would ever use it in the armor tree (it's either Kinetic if you're rolling in a platoon or Regeneration if you're not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Finally getting the hang of the guns, I've been far too light on the trigger it seems so I've been hitting at long range but never killing, adjusted to put the pressure on for a short burst instead and racked up a fair few kills as light scout.

Nody wrote: »
    I'm a bit unsure on the Aircraft flank change; are they saying they nerfed MAX Flak or are they saying there is some Aircraft flak gun that's nerfed and thank feck for moving ammo cert into utilities; no one would ever use it in the armor tree (it's either Kinetic if you're rolling in a platoon or Regeneration if you're not).

I think that's the skyguards flak gun... they've certainly been alot less lethal since the patch. It's now possible to escape their range without being turned to dust the instant they notice you, assuming you're in aircraft of course. Max's dont seem to be as lethal as they were... but i found myself avoiding areas they were set up, while i racked up several skyguard kills with a scythe yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think that's the skyguards flak gun... they've certainly been alot less lethal since the patch. It's now possible to escape their range without being turned to dust the instant they notice you, assuming you're in aircraft of course. Max's dont seem to be as lethal as they were... but i found myself avoiding areas they were set up, while i racked up several skyguard kills with a scythe yesterday
    I'll need to pull out my MAX and try (been spending time on VS due to the magrider, love that tank and I'm honestly really enjoying the foot soldiers guns as well).

Cant argue with magrider love, I've been a magrider driver since the early days of ps1... or as its become known as on the western server... spider tank, when fighting in the canyons on indar, its the only tank you have to watch the walls for...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

okay i started this, but i got an problem with audio.

sound is very very bad quality. crackling, interferance, skiping. anyone got this? i know it is only in PS2, because other games are grand, so its not my pc.

anyone had same problem?

okay i started this, but i got an problem with audio.

sound is very very bad quality. crackling, interferance, skiping. anyone got this? i know it is only in PS2, because other games are grand, so its not my pc.

anyone had same problem?

The only bad audio I get is from the ingame coms which are rubbish, can never understand what anyone is saying. But apart from that my audio is grand.
    was it just on the first time starting it, or is it a constant thing? I think there is an option within the launcher to verify the integrity of files, just incase some of your have become corrupt.

Burgo wrote: »
    The only bad audio I get is from the ingame coms which are rubbish, can never understand what anyone is saying. But apart from that my audio is grand.
    was it just on the first time starting it, or is it a constant thing? I think there is an option within the launcher to verify the integrity of files, just incase some of your have become corrupt.

its all the time. i googled it and a good few people having problem with it.

its all the time. i googled it and a good few people having problem with it.

Would you happen to be using Windows 8? On another forum I visit, the planetside thread is littered with people having issues trying to run it on 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Im not liking the fact you can now be spawn camped by large vehicles, such as Magriders & Vanguards. Sure you can stay in the spawn area, but that gets old quick. Maybe i have not figured out the fact u can spawn elsewhere.

I keep logging in, and by the time i crash which is usually half an hour later, ive had my fill.

I dont find the interface for you your char very user friendly tbh. Ive still not figured out how to spend cert points, or how many i actually have.

Tbh, i cant see myself buying the game, im glad i got a chance to play Beta. I think playing WoW has corrupted my passion for Fps games. That and the fact im finding it hard to actually figure out just what is going on :confused:.

okay, i tried playing again and i dont get it... where is all the action?! i got myself a quad amd tried to go to location where enemies detected... most of the time it was 1-2 people zergling...
    what way you find action guys? quite sick of driving 4km to see 2 people zergling...

okay, i tried playing again and i dont get it... where is all the action?! i got myself a quad amd tried to go to location where enemies detected... most of the time it was 1-2 people zergling...
    what way you find action guys? quite sick of driving 4km to see 2 people zergling...

if you open the map, there will be a list on the left of 5 or 6 hotspots, click on one that has the heighest amount of your faction and click deploy, you'll be drop podded in to the battle. Bear in mind you can only do this once every 30 min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Uhmm I assume the game just went and gave everyone a 1000 creds to spend on anything they want???

Logged in to find every jet armed with rockets and a 1040 creds in my account...so I went did the same thing...

sort of bit too much though cause the map is swarming in reavers hunting for dogfights

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Uhmm I assume the game just went and gave everyone a 1000 creds to spend on anything they want???

Logged in to find every jet armed with rockets and a 1040 creds in my account...so I went did the same thing...
    YEAH? Hurry up weekend!! :D

sort of bit too much though cause the map is swarming in reavers hunting for dogfights

I know its brilliant, first thing I did was kit out my skyguard :D

Try 3000 certs after tonight as they had some issues :P

I've gone on a spending spree on buying random things.
    What I've found so far:

1) TR Pounder - No, simply no. 5 shots was bad before and now with 2 shots per arm it's a bloody joke. Add to the fact the arc is insane for anything beyond 100m and that the damage is not good enough and charging 480 cert points for a second arm is a rip off in the extreme. The fact it deals sod all AI damage as well don't exactly help (where's my old PS1 pounder?!)
    2) TR Heavy Minigun - No, simply no again. The idea is flawed because of the spin up (takes ~1s) which means you'll be dead before you start to deal serious damage in most instances as the guy you meet can deal damage directly with out delay. If you sneak up on an enemy a shotgun or normal gun will work just fine.
    3) Magrider AA Machine gun (secondary gun) - Useless piece of ****
    4) Magrider Splash cannon - OP and lovely :P

I still have VS AV MAX, VS Heavy Assault to try out, some quad bike combinations and my prowler upgrades.

Pity there'll be a character wipe before the 20th :(

Pity there'll be a character wipe before the 20th :(
    Well seeing how close this is to go live all I'm trying to do is figure out what items I want to get first to get my cert grinding going faster :P

Ok they seriously need to unnerf the AA damage; it's silly how even the lighest of airplanes fly around willy nilly. I could normally kill a light (Reaver etc.) plane with a dual burster if they came close enough for me to see their health bar (and they did not know how to fly); now I need two full sets of ammo to have a chance and they can zip of like nothing even easier...

I tried to use the HA missile which usually went like this "Target lock", they flare (if I had fired I'd wasted a missle), wait 5s, relock and fire missile, they finish second or third strafing run with rockets and fly away to get repairs with out a care in the world.

Also pulled out the dual Comet (VS AV) which has only 1 shot but at least those shots do decent AI damage in a pinch and the new Lasher is great close range weapon :D

i'ld agree with the unerfing of AA and I'm a pilot, but not to the extent it was before... a single aa max could keep the sky clear before, that shouldn't happen

i'ld agree with the unerfing of AA and I'm a pilot, but not to the extent it was before... a single aa max could keep the sky clear before, that shouldn't happen
    Considering how the planes can sit out of reach for any AA short of another airplane and spam rockets they would need to half the range on those things... If anything I'd expect a plane to weave in, try to get a shot of and get the heck out of there and if there are 3+ AA (be it MAX, lightening or what not) it should be dead most of the time doing it.

as crazy as it seems... I stopped using the rockets, got too careless while using them, strafing runs are so much more satisfying

• Advertisement

Advertisement