Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Cully how'd you get it working???

Just downloaded from www.planetside2.com.
    Someone said on here lastnight that anyone who played the beta just needs to go to the site,log in and click "play free".
    That brought me to download link for the client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Cully how'd you get it working???

If you played the Beta then you can go play the US client. If you are like the rest of us then you follow the redirect to the EU website and download from there.

Must view tutorial videos for any new players.

http://www.planetside2.com/game-tutorials

I played the Planetside 1 all those years ago,played the beta on and off yet i will be studying these vids.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its working through steam now.

Just logged in and there was a small update and I didnt even have to download it again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Here's a good video which describes all the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Loving the game so far. I'm TR on the Miller server.

On Miller too, along with some of my original outfit (last line of defense, terran rep.) and enjoying it thus far. Was in beta so I've had few issues other than station cash vanishing at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

What server are most of you playing on? Going to give it a try see how it preforms, was told it eats up the CPU ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Its the RAM demands that got me, found a work around on the forums though.

Any groups getting organised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Im a complete noob but im willing to play:P Just hit rank 3 playing TR on miller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Miller has a 250 people queue (about 7 min according to the counter) atm; another reason to pay for subscription :D.

• Advertisement

Group here: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=345

Let's see if we can get a platoon going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

VS on Woodman server, if anyone wants to squad up, IGN is Strobes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My first experience of the game was literally taking a step and dying :D

Bit of a learning curve with this one I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I played last night for the first time (properly, as i barely touched the beta). It's a bit of a learning curve, but damn it's good. Had a few good runs with a Sniper, and than an Engineer. The game looks stunning at times. Looking forward to pumping in a few hours over the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    I played last night for the first time (properly, as i barely touched the beta). It's a bit of a learning curve, but damn it's good. Had a few good runs with a Sniper, and than an Engineer. The game looks stunning at times. Looking forward to pumping in a few hours over the weekend.
    Wait until you get night fighting; the tracers flying in the air and what not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Reminds me of BF 2142 but on a huge scale.
    And that's fantastic. Can really see myself getting into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Its the RAM demands that got me, found a work around on the forums though.

what forum was this, i played the beat and it was pretty tough going on my laptop, im hoping that maybe its been a little more optimised since. RAM isnt a problem, its more my graphics card nVidia 330m. its not great but was hoping maybe there would be some sort of workaround to get it running smoother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Word of note, seems alot of nc pilots found this out the hard way last night on amerish, on matherson... You cant fly planes into an enemy warpgate. VS was getting camped by an insane amount of air last night, the constant aa fire from the gates surrounding towers was deafening( 6 towers with 3 aa turrets on each, plus numerous skyguards and aa max's). Flying out of that mess in a lib was fun...flak explosions everywhere, thank feck for composite armor, made a mess out of a nc tank column before being brought down by 78% friendly fire :(

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    what forum was this, i played the beat and it was pretty tough going on my laptop, im hoping that maybe its been a little more optimised since. RAM isnt a problem, its more my graphics card nVidia 330m. its not great but was hoping maybe there would be some sort of workaround to get it running smoother

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?forums/general-technical-support.29/

Played for about 2 hours straight lastnight and fcuk me it was awesome.
    We spent about and hour defending our huge base against NC,had to be easily 100-150 on each side,day became night time and the graphics take on a whole new dimension,absolutely amazing when you see that number of lighting effects in all its glory.
    Im running everything maxed out to highest settings @ 1920X1200 and things never dropped below 50 fps but usually stayed about 80-150fps only dropping to 50-60 in truely massive fights.
    If ever you wanted to show someone multiplayer shooting action on a grand scale with amazing visuals planetside 2 at night would be it.
    Countless tracers of different shapes,sizes,colours shooting through the night sky,explosions left right and center
    I just love how the guns feel,just a nice amount of recoil,thankfully there are no arcade shooter mechanics at play here,the balance between what you would expect to be a realistic feel of the weapons without making it stupidly realistic just works so well in this game.
    My only complaint is the cooldown of 9 minutes or so before we can hotfoot it to instant action zones is a pain, but apart from that im delighted with it.
    It definitely is a step up from what i played in the beta.
    A sign of things to come when two of the very best fps games out there imo Planetside2 and Tribes Ascend are F2P and neither suffer from Pay to Win either.
    Ive still never spent a cent in either game and still do fine,having said that if i continue to enjoy Planetside 2 i wouldnt mind throwing a few quid at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Get nightvision on your vehicle(s) of choice and watch as the kills roll in, its crazy how good it is.
    Had a great time last night on esamir, spent the night moving north up the map and ended up gating the NC, then the treacherous TR turned on their disco loving allies and allowed the nc to taste sweet freedom again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

It's definitely one of the best games i've played in the last few years. I've played a good few hours over the last couple of days & I'm only now getting to grips with how some things work. Absolutely love the huge battles that can take place. I think it really gets the balance between vehicle & infantry combat just right.

I made a video of my second night playing it when we happened to become a part of a tank column assault:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I cant get decent frame rates in this at all.

20-30 fps and less in battle.Totally unplayable at the minute for me.

Phenom 2 x4 @ 3.5,4gb ram.Radeon 6870.Not a really high end machine but I really expected a playable game albeit at lower settings.Considering I can play BF3 @ 1680*1050 at High and get 80-90 fps consistently.

Ive tried everything even lowering the res to 800*600 :)

Still the same frame rates--wierd.

Doing my head in since this game from what Ive played is excellent

Anyone else with similar issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Gents, we should really start two new threads with polls;
    Poll1 : Which Faction
    Poll2 : Which server

And create a B.ie outfit to match. We can then organise 1-2 evenings a week where we all try get on and have a good night of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Phenom 2 x4 @ 3.5,4gb ram.Radeon 6870.Not a really high end machine but I really expected a playable game albeit at lower settings.Considering I can play BF3 @ 1680*1050 at High and get 80-90 fps consistently.

Ati cards seem to be having alot of trouble with the game.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Gents, we should really start two new threads with polls;
    Poll1 : Which Faction
    Poll2 : Which server

And create a B.ie outfit to match. We can then organise 1-2 evenings a week where we all try get on and have a good night of it.

FYI
    Group here: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=345

Let's see if we can get a platoon going smile.png

I found this solution

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?forums/general-technical-support.29/

And updating to Catalyst 12.11 beta, which have been optimized for PS2

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

FYI

Tbh, a boards.ie group isn't going to do anything. Pick a faction, pick a server, and get a list for inviting people to it.

Also a advice to people, create alts on three servers (can't have more then one faction per server :( ) so you can start storing up certs (as you slowly gain cert over time, about 10 a day) on alternate factions to try things out.

• Advertisement

For anyone else with low FPS.

Go into your user options.ini file and reduce render distance to 1000.

Default is -1.000000 which apparently is infinity so your card is trying to render to infinity.

1000 gave me a boost of 30+ fps and now its playable (but Im still crap at it so it wasnt the fps) :D:D

Advertisement