Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

KilOit wrote: »
    f2p attracts them all, i really can't figure why people do this in games, whats the fun in it? your char will get deleted anyway

Well I suppose when you get thousands of people to play together, statistically speaking a % of them are gonna be complete a$$holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

RADIUS wrote: »
    Ah here they come to ruin the game. Just like they ruined DayZ.
    Well, I doubt it to be honest. PS2 can't be scripted like Arma can, so it won't be near as easy to hack as in DayZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thank god for that. I loved Dayz but the hackers really ruined it. That and all the bugs that developers were too inept to fix.

I haven't seen any hackers in PS2 yet but I'm really surprised that this game hasn't made more of an impact. When BF3 came out everybody was raving about it, this is just as good if not better and free, yet there doesn't seem to be as many people playing it. I have about 70 friends on steam, all counter strike players, and only 2 others are playing this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

MadYaker wrote: »
    Thank god for that. I loved Dayz but the hackers really ruined it. That and all the bugs that developers were to inept to fix.

I haven't seen any hackers in PS2 yet but I'm really surprised that this game hasn't made more of an impact. When BF3 came out everybody was raving about it, this is just as good if not better and free, yet there doesn't seem to be as many people playing it. I have about 70 friends on steam, all counter strike players, and only 2 others are playing this game.

Now in fairness CS players rarely venture outside their own little cocoon, same goes for moba and starcraft players.
    This game is generally for BF and mmo gamers but at the moment the game is such a system hog that a lot are unable to play it the way it's meant to be played.
    Give it time for the devs to iron out the kinks and add in more fun stuff, f2p games generally start out slow and build up with word of mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

MadYaker wrote: »
    but I'm really surprised that this game hasn't made more of an impact. When BF3 came out everybody was raving about it, this is just as good if not better and free, yet there doesn't seem to be as many people playing it. I have about 70 friends on steam, all counter strike players, and only 2 others are playing this game.

I've already gotten a little bored of it.

I'm worn down by the ****ty framerates and after playing for a good while there I found it all a bit pointless :) There needs to be a real impetus imo to wanting to cap a continent other than just for the sake of it. Right now it's cap a building, drive away and two seconds later it's being capped by another faction. Boring...

Mostly tho it's the framerate that has tipped me over the edge. I'll come back and probably even pay a sub once they optimise the hell out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I've already gotten a little bored of it.

I'm worn down by the ****ty framerates and after playing for a good while there I found it all a bit pointless :) There needs to be a real impetus imo to wanting to cap a continent other than just for the sake of it. Right now it's cap a building, drive away and two seconds later it's being capped by another faction. Boring...

Mostly tho it's the framerate that has tipped me over the edge. I'll come back and probably even pay a sub once they optimise the hell out of it.

I agree with you to a point ,there needs to be more reward for taking bases but to counter this the battles and general gameplay are just incredible ,to me that's the real meat of the game.
    I've no frame rate issues at all running ultra and getting great fps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There needs to be a better reward for defending a base imo. We constantly take a base, only for everyone to move on in a zerg to the next because it's worth more exp.

Love the game, but won't get much time to play it over the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dcully wrote: »
    I agree with you to a point ,there needs to be more reward for taking bases but to counter this the battles and general gameplay are just incredible ,to me that's the real meat of the game.
    I've no frame rate issues at all running ultra and getting great fps.

It's a very CPU heavy game in what I've read. In even a medium sized fight I'm lucky if I see over 20fps which just doesn't cut the yellow stuff when my machine will run any other game I've thrown at it on max. I've got everything set to medium or low and it hasn't changed anything. In fairness I haven't yet set everything to low and worked up to see if it's something in particular but the forums have reasonably sized threads on performance issues so it's not just me :P (and even an SOE member has a post about 20fps framerates and how they're working on improving this).

I am hopeful, once the game is better optimised and it gets a chance to mature a bit that it'll be something like World of Tanks that stays on my machine and I drop into regularly from time to time.

My PC is nothing special, i3 and a 7750. I'm playing with all graphics settings on high and motion blur and anti aliasing both disabled and I get good fps. Even is hube battles it doesn't lag.

I've an i5 and a 6950 card, and i get perfect fps even during the massive battles. Everything turned to full except shadows. I thought it was actually running really well for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Kiith wrote: »
    There needs to be a better reward for defending a base imo. We constantly take a base, only for everyone to move on in a zerg to the next because it's worth more exp.

Love the game, but won't get much time to play it over the next week.

You mean aside from the +25% for large bases ( 20% for mediums, 15% for smalls) xp for kills, repairs heals, and rez's...This stacks with squad and low population bonus's.

That can mean a pretty ridiculous amount of xp in a zerg stopping defense. For example killing a galaxy in a defense can net you as much 750+xp
    It's a very CPU heavy game in what I've read. In even a medium sized fight I'm lucky if I see over 20fps which just doesn't cut the yellow stuff when my machine will run any other game I've thrown at it on max. I've got everything set to medium or low and it hasn't changed anything. In fairness I haven't yet set everything to low and worked up to see if it's something in particular but the forums have reasonably sized threads on performance issues so it's not just me (and even an SOE member has a post about 20fps framerates and how they're working on improving this).

Was having similar issue, had an average of 12 fps in huge fights, try dropping the render quality down to 60-75%, that gives me 40-50 fps in similar sized fights.

You mean aside from the +25% for large bases ( 20% for mediums, 15% for smalls) xp for kills, repairs heals, and rez's...This stacks with squad and low population bonus's.

That can mean a pretty ridiculous amount of xp in a zerg stopping defense. For example killing a galaxy in a defense can net you as much 750+xp

Ah, i didn't realise that. Makes me wonder why no one ever stays to defend territory in that case.

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah, i didn't realise that. Makes me wonder why no one ever stays to defend territory in that case.

Probably because people dont see a big fat bonus at the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I can confirm it seems to be very CPU hungry.
    I lowered my i5 2500K back to stock speeds ie 3.3ghz and fps dropped to about 45-80 fps in big battles running the same settings compared to 60-150 fps @ 4.4ghz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Probably because people dont see a big fat bonus at the end.
    Or being one vs. 3 tanks, ESFs etc. on each spawn door is a wasted effort. Lets be honest; if a proper zerg gets organized (40+ MBTs, 20+ ESFs, Libs, foot soldiers etc.) pretty much nothing will hold it back to roll you to your spawn force field short of a similar sized zerg (not found a big enough / coordinated enough outfit to take it on yet).

It's the same reason I'll leave any major zerg force that ends up in a three way; it's just farming for the base defenders (favorite spot is just inside the entrance with a shotty) and with that many shots flying around you'll die to friendly fire more often then enemy fire (but you can also get some nice nade kills if you're careful) :p.

As a sidenote on the shotty; don't get the 100 cert slugs for it to try to give it more range. I bought it but the slow down in fire rate removes the best part of the shotty (low ttk) and the additional range still means you'll die to the enemy with or with out it. Keep it simple and only add ammo mod; everything else is wasted (no need for sights as you'll be shoving it up the enemy's behind anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

Are we going to make a Boards.ie outfit? Is there one already?

There isn't one as far as I'm aware. At moment I think were all kinda spread out across different factions and server. Id be up for it. I'm in college doing exams at the moment but I'm finished on the 14th so I'll be able to put some time into it then.

I'd be willing to make a new character for it.

Given that the TR same to be the favoured faction on here (judged by the poll), we should start one with them. For the sake of good ping, we should operate on a European server.

Perhaps a moderator for this board should set it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Yeah I would join the outfit, main thing is that were all set up on the same faction and server. That way when we go online there should always be a few boardsie's milling about that we can jump into the action with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd be willing to make a new character for it.

Given that the TR same to be the favoured faction on here (judged by the poll), we should start one with them. For the sake of good ping, we should operate on a European server.

Perhaps a moderator for this board should set it up?
    I voted TR as that was my intended faction (before getting into beta) but I'm now BR19 on my VS because I find their guns more fun (esp. the Magrider!); looking at the who's who thread I'd say we're fairly split vs. what the poll here says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

This game is so much fun (i wish I had more time to play! ) Hadn't played since the beta and joined a match, spawned on a sunderrer. Instantly surrounded by about 40 teammates attacking a base. With a few dozen more already close to the base. Blown away. I didn't see anything like it in the beta.

Main gripe with the game? At any one time, there must be about 60-80 people at the home gate, doing nothing. Why the hell are they even playing.

Maybe a new poll somewhere where we decide what faction and server to set up a boards outfit. I don't mind what faction as long its on a European server (as mentioned before).

EDIT: didnt see Igsters thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818640

Korvanica wrote: »
    This game is so much fun (i wish I had more time to play! ) Hadn't played since the beta and joined a match, spawned on a sunderrer. Instantly surrounded by about 40 teammates attacking a base. With a few dozen more already close to the base. Blown away. I didn't see anything like it in the beta.

Main gripe with the game? At any one time, there must be about 60-80 people at the home gate, doing nothing. Why the hell are they even playing.

Maybe a new poll somewhere where we decide what faction and server to set up a boards outfit. I don't mind what faction as long its on a European server (as mentioned before).

EDIT: didnt see Igsters thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818640
    Only two things come to mind (as you get the same amount of certs online as offline); waiting on flier cool down timer (ESF or Lib. but more inclined towards ESF) and waiting to build up resources (but I'll usually do that fighting as the resources come as quickly anyway and you might as well get some exp in there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Nody wrote: »
    Only two things come to mind (as you get the same amount of certs online as offline); waiting on flier cool down timer (ESF or Lib. but more inclined towards ESF) and waiting to build up resources (but I'll usually do that fighting as the resources come as quickly anyway and you might as well get some exp in there).

Never thought of the cooldown time.

Although one of the funniest things ive seen was one guy standing in the middle of the base, blasting "Never gonna Give you up" through his mic and 15-20 people dancing around him...

Korvanica wrote: »

you'll also find numpty engineers grinding xp by pairing up and constantly firing guns for resupply xp...:confused:

there are far easier ways....

you'll also find numpty engineers grinding xp by pairing up and constantly firing guns for resupply xp...:confused:

there are far easier ways....
    Well for me the obvious would be for two engies to go on one faction each and go to a quiet corner and drop MANA turrets (40 exp), destroying base turrets, base swapping (harder to pull off as someone is likely to come over to support either side), pull flashes and other vehicles etc.

I guess I can see the temptation at about 15 exp per reload (one reload per 5s is reasonable so 180 exp a minute risk free) which works out at about a cert every 1.5 to 2 min. Going out there killing would be faster but you'd risk failing and the constant stream of exp I guess :)

would be easier to cert as an infy go to a quiet enemy base and start hacking turrets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

would be easier to cert as an infy go to a quiet enemy base and start hacking turrets

Go Medic in a biolab and watch the certs roll in :p

N00bie question time; how do they do it? I've seen it done but got no clue what tool they are suppose to use (and any time I've spent as infiltrator has been as a wannabe sniper and dying a lot)?

I think you just run up to a terminal and hold E. You'll more than likely be prompted on what button to press when you do it.

• Advertisement

Yeah you have to hold e for a few seconds I've done it before.

Also: everyone make sure to vote so we can get a faction going: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818640

Advertisement