Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

would be easier to cert as an infy go to a quiet enemy base and start hacking turrets
    Actually no; I decided to give this a try this morning when the servers are empty and I was curious.

I spent 5 min getting through the enemy lines and almost dying doing so. Another 5 min running to the enemy base (An Amp station so plenty of turrets). Hacked every turret, blew up every generator (4 base, 2 shield and the SCU) and ended up with 10 certs for about 45 min of work. During this whole time no one came back to the base to do any searching of me. The generators alone was the big exp gain (160 to overload, another 160 when they exploded vs. 40 for hacking a turret which only gave exp 75% of the time). Maybe if I had blown up the turrets I could find I'd get more but not sure and this only worked because the server was dead vs. sitting in your own base 100% secure and gaining certs as fast or faster (remember only Amp stations got that many generators; most are only two) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Am I the only one playing on a server where TR are far and away the most underpopulated?

Finding it hard to justify all the cries of OP tbh. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bazzo wrote: »
    Am I the only one playing on a server where TR are far and away the most underpopulated?

Finding it hard to justify all the cries of OP tbh. :pac:
    The faithful soldiers of Vanu always beat the OP TR guns by pure faith (not that I find any side particulary OP on guns on any side comparing like to like; they all kill me just fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Well the sheer amount of bullets a TR gun can put out does offer some advantages :pac:

Burgo wrote: »
    Well the sheer amount of bullets a TR gun can put out does offer some advantages :pac:

Maybe, but even so the claims of how OP it is are wildly exaggerated, if an NC gets a lucky shot on you're pretty ****ed, and the VS have the accuracy from range thing going on, I'd imagine the "OP" is more to do with numbers than anything else. Apart from air vehicles. Those things are insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Bazzo wrote: »
    .... Apart from air vehicles. Those things are insane.
    Still havent nerfed ESF's huh .... pity

You would think early in the games life they would listen to their forums to try and balance things. When everyone is crying OP (except the people with surprisingly high ESF related K/D ratios) it may be a fricking clue

BigEejit wrote: »
    Still havent nerfed ESF's huh .... pity

You would think early in the games life they would listen to their forums to try and balance things. When everyone is crying OP (except the people with surprisingly high ESF related K/D ratios) it may be a fricking clue

I didn't play beta but from what I hear they nerfed anti-air to the ground just before launch. I can confirm that it's mostly useless now. It is fun sitting in a liberator bombing with impunity until a fighter comes along though, even then if your pilot is good and you're a good shot with a bit of luck you beat them, the bombing round 1 shots them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

indeed, on my tr toon on woodman, i tend to get headshots on enemies Im not aiming at:confused:.... when using the engineers rifle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

and the VS have the accuracy from range thing going on

Thats nothing more than a myth, trust me, ive played the beta quite a bit and now the full release and the VS weapons in general with the exception of 1 or 2 are not any more accurate than TR weapons.
    Infact the TR heavy weapons are more accurate than the VS heavy weapons.
    Also the TR engi weapons are more accurate than the VS engi weapons,despite the VS strength or bonus is said to be more accurate weapons, in practice its simply not true.
    The only example of where a VS weapon is more accurate is possibly the combat medic but even here the TR weapons are very accurate too.
    Overall the differences are marginal and claims of OP are exaggerated.

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats nothing more than a myth, trust me, ive played the beta quite a bit and now the full release and the VS weapons in general with the exception of 1 or 2 are not any more accurate than TR weapons.
    Infact the TR heavy weapons are more accurate than the VS heavy weapons.
    Also the TR engi weapons are more accurate than the VS engi weapons,despite the VS strength or bonus is said to be more accurate weapons, in practice its simply not true.
    The only example of where a VS weapon is more accurate is possibly the combat medic but even here the TR weapons are very accurate too.

I played around a bit on VS and found their weapons overall to be a little more accurate, but I won't argue it. At long range, though, they're definitely more accurate, just because TR and NC weapons have bullet drop and VS weapons don't.

In any case, I wasn't trying to make the point that any empire is OP, I think it's all fairly balanced actually, just saying I don't understand the cries of TR OPness, having played on all factions to one degree or another. In fact, if it was up to me, I'd play VS personally, I'm only playing TR because some friends had already picked that faction before I started playing.

• Advertisement

and the VS have the accuracy from range thing going on

they also have that damage degradation at range thing going on aswell, thats always been an issue with. Personally i prefere nc and try weapons for not having to deal with that... but no other faction has a magrider.... so im stuck with vs

but at least when station cash purchases become acc bound ill have more toys to play with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Last night on Esamir was particularly fun. Joined up with 5 of my friends to form our own NC squad, we started off in Liberators and had tremendous fun bombing the crap out of a Vanu base before landing and helping to take over on foot (while a commander kept screaming GIVE US UR LEGOS in the chat window), before spawning a few tanks and heading off in a massive convoy to the next base.

Nobody seemed interested in taking out the vehicle shields so the convoy (must have been 30-40 tanks) got completely jammed in the valley entrance and we decided to get out and walk. Much more fun. Finally managed to unlock the AA launcher for my heavy. People may brag about how invincible they are in a gunship, but there is no joy like the joy you get of getting a lock and watching a Liberator freak out and leg it before even firing a shot. the little bonus XP you get for someone killing an enemy you spotted is great, really encourages people to warn others and keep a decent awareness of the battlefield going on.

After losing a range of hills to a swarm of TR infiltrators and light assaults, we eventually ended up at a Vanu biolab, and spent the rest of the night in a brutal war of attrition between at least 50 troops easily in the top levels where we eventually carved our way through to their main spawn point and disabled it, cutting off their reinforcements and finally taking the facility. Freaking epic battle, amazing fun. This game is the friggin' business.

Burster Left arm is today's sale item; if you ever want to be infantry dealing with Air that's the thing to get to be honest :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nody wrote: »
    Burster Left arm is today's sale item; if you ever want to be infantry dealing with Air that's the thing to get to be honest :)

How much is it, and how long is it on sale for? Definitely want to pick it up, but might not get a chance to be online till much later.

Kiith wrote: »
    How much is it, and how long is it on sale for? Definitely want to pick it up, but might not get a chance to be online till much later.
    It's usually 700 SC so I'd guess 350SC in line with all other sales and it's a normal 24h sale so until midnight basically :)

dont forget, new weapons comming out today and new av weapons next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

patchnotes wrote:
    Lock on Rocket Launchers (AV and AA):
    - Range Increase
    - Faster reload time (to compensate for lock on time)
    - Now require lock on to fire

Flak:
    - Minor damage increase
    - Projectile speed increase

A30 Walker:
    - Buffed Damage
    - Faster Projectile

Rocket Pods:
    - Decrease to the inner explosion radius: 3m to 1.5m. This is the center of the rocket explosion where the maximum damage occurs, so this will not affect direct hits. Effectively this makes the damage falloff at the center of the rocket pod explosion start closer to the center.

Flak Armor:
    - Increase maximum explosion resistance for certed Flak armor from 25% to 50%. This makes Flak armor a more viable choice over Nanoweave for soldiers being attacked with explosives.

Decimator:
    - New Heavy Assault common pool rocket launcher. High-damage anti-vehicle weapon, has a slow projectile speed and no lock on, but does massive damage to vehicles and other armored targets.

Pretty crappy that they are making the launchers lock on only, the vs AA launcher was great against vehicles, better than the default as it had a lot less of a firing arc. Must get the Decimator though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

How big is the patch does anyone know?

Pretty crappy that they are making the launchers lock on only, the vs AA launcher was great against vehicles, better than the default as it had a lot less of a firing arc. Must get the Decimator though!
    Was to be expected though; once you got the AA launcher you had no reason to ever change back. Also very happy to hear the lock on range has been increased; 200m was silly, honestly I'd love to see the old 500m as the pilot got plenty of warning what's coming their way anyway.

Also happy to see flak improvements (as I'm buying my second burster mod today for dual 42 shot arms, oh yea!). I was fine with the speed (a bit of leading and you're sorted) but I'm not going to complain about more speed and damage.

The Deci I'm going to take a wait and see approach on honestly; the current AV is slow, with the Deci being even slower it's only going to be good for static tanks and I'll need to see really good result to buy that.

The Flak armor is interesting but I'd need to see how you look after getting naded to make a final call on Flak over shield recharge time (not sure why they mention Nanoweave as that was only interesting for first point as anything beyond was wasted due to damage the gun does).

Oh and on a completely separate note don't buy a 12x scope for your sniper rifle; it sounds as a great idea but due to how the terrain is set up you'll usually want something less zoomed in as that will show you facial hairs and take ages to try to track down targets (personal experience, thankfully they are only 30 cert a pop).

I'm curious to see how much the range has been extended on the aa launcher. The deci however, in the original ps, all i ever used that for was close range tanks, max's and solo bfr kills.

Could be very useful against vehicals camping spawn points.

• Advertisement

I'm curious to see how much the range has been extended on the aa launcher. The deci however, in the original ps, all i ever used that for was close range tanks, max's and solo bfr kills.

Could be very useful against vehicals camping spawn points.
    Or Sunderers that are deployed; the normal HA AV rockets are not enough to kill one today iirc. I can also see them used against turrets in smaller skirmishers or against larger zerg columns in tight spaces (fire and hope something gets hit).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Delighted about the changes, especially the Deci. The normal AV rockets don't do anywhere near enough damage to targets.

Kiith wrote: »
    Delighted about the changes, especially the Deci. The normal AV rockets don't do anywhere near enough damage to targets.
    Well depends on situation; a tank running into a zerg? Tank dies in 1s. 1 tank camping 2 guys in at a remote spawn point? The two guys are not going to get out.

I hope the Deci will help with the second situation more than the first one as it's not often I go "damn, if my AV rocket only dealt more damage" outside situation 2 and the finding a deployed Sundy.

I would like to see a return of the lancer from ps... sure its damage was kind of meh, but it fired fast.

I would like to see a return of the lancer from ps... sure its damage was kind of meh, but it fired fast.
    It had good DPS though and was a good sniper in a pinch.

Anyway, the Devestator did not make it in tonight for some reason; there are a new sniper rifle (less fall off, high damage, longer reload) and a new LA/Engy machine gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Very annoying the way the infiltrator can't hold the feckin gun still. I was playing NC and a bought a new scope with higher magnification and hitting targets at more than 500 metres was tough when he's waving the gun around like a flag. Crouching makes no difference.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Very annoying the way the infiltrator can't hold the feckin gun still. I was playing NC and a bought a new scope with higher magnification and hitting targets at more than 500 metres was tough when he's waving the gun around like a flag. Crouching makes no difference.
    Zoom in and press the run button; you'll take a deep breath and be steady for about 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Zoom in and press the run button; you'll take a deep breath and be steady for about 5 seconds.

Oh yeaaah like COD, that never occured to me. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

MadYaker wrote: »

Funny thing is, a Light Assault with a sniper scope can aim without jitter. ;)

• Advertisement

Well depends on situation; a tank running into a zerg? Tank dies in 1s. 1 tank camping 2 guys in at a remote spawn point? The two guys are not going to get out.

I hope the Deci will help with the second situation more than the first one as it's not often I go "damn, if my AV rocket only dealt more damage" outside situation 2 and the finding a deployed Sundy.

didnt they say this week was AI weapons and next week will be AV?

Advertisement