Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's absolutely a different game when you have a good group of people. It's probably easier to avoid the zerg, get a squad of 5-10 people, and capture points away from the main fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If you can get involved with a decent outfit or platoon it completely changes the game, as everyone takes up their own roles and you can plow through less organised enemies and then when you come upon a similar organised group is when the real fun begins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The crown is one of the most defensible bases in the game, if you have a coordinated platoon guarding it, you're probably better off going around it...

To be perfectly honest, you need those hordes of snipers to thin out the numbers of infantry on the defense, which are a far larger threat than vehicals, with the possible exception of liberators, which can decimate anything attacking that hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anyone else on Miller playing the Terran Republic? Would also like to get into this with a group of people who are moderately organised. Playing solo ... I just don't think I'm getting the most out of this.

[edit] I should probably mention that I'm not above changing server/faction if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Shall be installing this tomorrow. Any one have any suggestions for server/race (preferably with some people willing to show a grunt the ropes?)

@Dave_the_Sheep, you don't play GW2 by on Aurora Glade with KISS? Possibly just the same name but thought i'd ask ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

BKtje wrote: »
    Shall be installing this tomorrow. Any one have any suggestions for server/race (preferably with some people willing to show a grunt the ropes?)

@Dave_the_Sheep, you don't play GW2 by on Aurora Glade with KISS? Possibly just the same name but thought i'd ask ;)

Nope, sorry. Miller man myself. Odd, I've not seen the name used elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Fair enough. Tis an odd name alright, hence the question ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well another session last night that was MUCH more organised. And it was simple to achieve, obviously exposing in the enemy, what I've suffered the last few sessions.

Few of my mates got this to give it a whirl, and we created a squad and during large engagements, operated independant manoeuvres to assist our faction. We capped a good few points yesterday, and it was mind blowing fun. After about an hour another squad hooked up with us to form an on the fly platoon, and we tore **** up. We invited them to my mumble and it was a blast.

The co-ordination made the game so much better, we had covering fire, bounding overwatch, flanking manouvres the works.

It is truely inspired gaming when its done with a solid group of people.

Really well done to the designers. Still having some FPS issues which makes it tricky landing kills, but the experience alone is breathtaking.

At one point yesterday we got hit hard with a counter offensive at one cap point, and after holding out for about 40 minutes, our little platoon punched a hole in the enemies left flank, and we started cutting back central causing destruction. At this point stragglers started joining us and we completely wiped out the enemy forces gaining massive ground.

The experiences in this are right up with Vanilla WoW WPVP for me , and thats saying something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I'm playing as Terran Republic on Mattherson (US East) in a fairly organised outfit (for those who play/ed Starcraft I'm in the TeamLiquid outfit) and it works out nicely with voice comms etc. Is there a Boards outfit on EU yet?

EDIT: Looking through the posts/other threads there seems to be enough of us playing this regularly to get a Boards outfit going. As someone mentioned before you don't even need to go with the zerg to enjoy this game. A group of 5-10 people can really change the tide of a battle somewhere on the map. I think we could probably get a decent outfit going (on Miller, I guess) that could have a good core of players online regularly using voice comms, etc and having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Anyone else on Miller playing the Terran Republic? Would also like to get into this with a group of people who are moderately organised. Playing solo ... I just don't think I'm getting the most out of this.

[edit] I should probably mention that I'm not above changing server/faction if required.

Myself & HairyHeretic are with the Last Line of Defense Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Yep. Any TR are free to add me to their friends lists, and give me a shout ingame.

New patch notes are out:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/happy-new-year-update-02-info.77203/

For the most part the changes are good. Anti-infantry on vehicles did need to be nerfed. Not sure how buffing support roles is going to play out because as an Engineer I can make retarded amounts of XP, but we will see. I like the new "Hot Spot" idea and look forward to its implementation.

Not sure temporary invulnerability after a revival/spawn is a good idea but I can see where their logic is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Hope those bugs fixed include the disappearing terrain/whitescreen which seems to have decided to curse me with in the past few days.
    Nice to see server transfer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So experience nerf (have to kill someone to get worth more then now) for killing people (I'd have preferred a 1 min reduction from spawn on worth or something instead to stop spawn camping which is partly done by the invulv. at spawn) slightly compensated by the fact the fight will last longer due to building changes in the base.

Also curious what "rebalancing of xp rewards" will end up being; I got a gut feeling it will be a heavy medic experience nerf (needed mind you, I could easily pull in 2x experience vs. going aggressive LA by ressing and healing only and the amount of medics around tended to show I was not the only one who noticed; esp. annoying to see 25% resses when I could have done a 100% ress on the guy).

Also fun to see HE being nerfed for ground vehicles as 95% of the guns on a ground vehicle is HE of some sort (if upgraded).

Hope those bugs fixed include the disappearing terrain/whitescreen which seems to have decided to curse me with in the past few days.
    Nice to see server transfer.

You can bet it's definitely some of the terrain bugs that will be fixed. Hopefully they do something about the map spazzing out sometimes when it's opened, too.

will have to look at those later, new cpu arrives tomorrow, cant wait to get back into ps2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

tried it for a couple of hours over xmas. not enough time played to make a good decision on it obviously, but so far i didnt like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

copeyhagen wrote: »
    tried it for a couple of hours over xmas. not enough time played to make a good decision on it obviously, but so far i didnt like it

There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get going its pretty fun.
    For instance i spent 2 hours fighting a threeway battle for not even a full base but one of the smaller outposts last night. The base changed hands between the 3 empires several times where we would promptly regroup to a ridge close to it and setup for another push.
    Really reminded me of some great fights i had in PS1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Tried it a bit last night. Was not overly impressed but I didn't spend too long at it so not enough time for a proper test.

Combat just seemed... sluggish to me. I've not tweeked it for performance yet so that might be why. I'll give it another shot later or over the weekend and see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Noxin wrote: »
    Tried it a bit last night. Was not overly impressed but I didn't spend too long at it so not enough time for a proper test.

Combat just seemed... sluggish to me. I've not tweeked it for performance yet so that might be why. I'll give it another shot later or over the weekend and see.

What do you mean sluggish?
    Have yo a good spec rig? im guessing no because you wouldnt have to tweak anything if so.
    Did you partake in large scale battles?

Sorry i just have to ask but unless you have a decent rig giving high fps and played it long enough to see massive battles its not fair to judge imo :)

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Have yo a good spec rig? im guessing no because you wouldnt have to tweak anything if so.

Sorry i just have to ask but unless you have a decent rig giving high fps and played it long enough to see massive battles its not fair to judge imo :)

Bare in mind there are performance tweaks coming from for lower end PCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Dcully wrote: »

Rig is brand new €1400 self build with high spec. That ain't the problem.
    There was just something about it that made it feel sluggish / off. Then again I think I was waiting on a torrent to finish so I guess that might have been causing some issues..
    Like I said though, I didn't play it for too long last night and will be giving it another go. This was just my initial reaction to a small bit of game time. Hopefully the next session will be better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Noxin wrote: »
    Rig is brand new €1400 self build with high spec. That ain't the problem.
    There was just something about it that made it feel sluggish / off. Then again I think I was waiting on a torrent to finish so I guess that might have been causing some issues..
    Like I said though, I didn't play it for too long last night and will be giving it another go. This was just my initial reaction to a small bit of game time. Hopefully the next session will be better.
    When you get in next time open the map; look up the top hot location listed and drop there. Enjoy the frenzh of at least a 50 vs. 50 battle takes place all around you.

Nody wrote: »
    When you get in next time open the map; look up the top hot location listed and drop there. Enjoy the frenzh of at least a 50 vs. 50 battle takes place all around you.

50vs 50 tank battles are more fun :D

50vs 50 tank battles are more fun :D
    Harder to get though esp. when those pesky fliers decide to come play as well :P

Nody wrote: »
    Harder to get though esp. when those pesky fliers decide to come play as well :P

My Max/HA says hi =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My goodness, those anti vehicle grenades are wonderful.

I was on my Flash, zooming around spotting enemies on my radar for the others, as you do, when along comes an enemy Lightning. A near miss nonetheless damages the bike enough to make bailing sensible. so I ramp over a small line of hills while the tank is reloading, hoping it'll follow me. Popped an AV grenade where I thought it would come over the rise and took out my RPG. He came over almost exactly where I'd hoped, the grenade and RPG to the underside of the tank as he ramped over my head brought him down to less than a quarter health. Unfortunately while the slow reload time mean he was able to flee out of range before I could fire again. But I bet I scared the bejesus out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Have to say this game is amazing!

Looking forward to the next big update where it'll be optimized for lower end GFX cards. My nvidia 2GB 640m is clunky on the highest settings

For those wondering what's next there's now a roadmap of development ideas up where you can vote what you think should be done first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Willbbz wrote: »
    Have to say this game is amazing!

Looking forward to the next big update where it'll be optimized for lower end GFX cards. My nvidia 2GB 640m is clunky on the highest settings

really hope this is soon, i tried playing before but laptop just couldnt hack it, hope it gets optimised a bit more for lower end cards

Advertisement