Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Has anyone tried flight sticks for controlling the aircraft, or is mouse and keyboard the way to go? Not that it makes much difference to me really, flying one of those things is high on the list of Complicated Things I Cannot Do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Sarky wrote: »
    Has anyone tried flight sticks for controlling the aircraft, or is mouse and keyboard the way to go? Not that it makes much difference to me really, flying one of those things is high on the list of Complicated Things I Cannot Do.

I've tried flight-stick, but it doesn't really work that well imo.
    Mouse and keyboard seem better for the sort of hover behaviour the aircraft do.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Anyone want to start up a squad. Im new to pc and i dont know anyone playing planetside and it seems that its alot better playing in a group or I you just want to play please reply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bought the AV Mana turret last night; it's a guided rocket that does very good damage (with no real explosion radius); only major downside is no zoom but beyond that those are great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

By guided do you mean lock on, or more like the PS1 NC rocket where you controlled it in flight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

PS1 NC Rocket with out being able to see out of the nose cone and slower flight speed (can one shot a heavy with a direct hit though :P ) and due to no shield and having to target in by eye you're a standing still target that snipers love to take pot shots on.

Indirect fire from behind cover work ok for it?

Indirect fire from behind cover work ok for it?
    Not really as you need to guide it in from the turret (no rocket camera) so you'll usually do it in the open (in various levels of cover due to the chaff in front of you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Nody wrote: »
    Bought the AV Mana turret last night; it's a guided rocket that does very good damage (with no real explosion radius); only major downside is no zoom but beyond that those are great!

Got it myself last night, and racked up 17 MBT and 2 lib kills over the course of the night with it :D.... its funny watching libs trying to avoid the rockets if they see them comming.

Its great at killing tanks that are on hiltops, fire up, well over the target, then drop the missile on its top... Vanguards dont tend to have top armor from what I have seen so far :)

For the change I tried playing as an infiltrator for a while last night. Deployed to the Crown as there's a nice valley there where attackers have to run the gauntlet of well-ensconced defenders, thinking it's be relatively safe practice to pick off anyone poking their heads above the hill on the other side.

But the rendering is really, really flaky at that distance, people, turrets and whole tanks appear and disappear at random, so lining up a shot is actually bloody hard, if not impossible. It would seem the only reliable way to be a sniper is to get yourself close to the fight, which kinda defeats the purpose really. Had much more success hiding behind a rock close to one of the biolabs and waiting for heavy assaults to peek over the landing platforms to fire down rockets. But I could have done the same with a light assault with a rifle scope.

After getting bored of being a camper faeg, I tried out the Reaver again, practising my hovering by taking out unmanned turrets. Controls are still really weird. Banking a plane without it turning is just unintuitive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

From what I've hear they're working on increasing the render distance according to threat levels. Two servers have the update and people seem to think its really helped for sniping

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/13/planetside-2-infantry-render-distance/

After getting bored of being a camper faeg, I tried out the Reaver again, practising my hovering by taking out unmanned turrets. Controls are still really weird. Banking a plane without it turning is just unintuitive...

Once you get used to it though, you will wonder how you did without it... I'll admit though, the controls are really odd at first.

Maybe, but there really is nothing like a heavy assault to storm a control point, soak all the damage, and mow down the pitiful Vanu defenders with an automatic shotgun. Lousy gimp-suited pansies, with their easy-mode lack of bullet drop... And, well, someone has to make the pilots nervous. <huggles anti-air launcher>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Anyone else using Nvidia's GPU Physics in Planetside 2? It was annoying at first but, now I'm finding it kinda cool.

not tried it.

Fun set of kills last night, that i got very little credit for, but amused me, none the less... Was getting chased around a tech plant on easmir by a pack of 3 scythes last night, they were going to get me, had me down to less than 15% hull. At least one of them had aa missiles, 3 of which i had dodged. I was getting a little desperate to get away and flew through the main bay in the middle of the tech plant.... and survived.... my pursuers it seems all tried to follow at the same time...and either rammed into the low ceiling in the bay, or each other. :D

I had a funny one last night as well ... took out a low flying scythe with my shotgun. You have to laugh at the kills like that. :D

not tried it.

Fun set of kills last night, that i got very little credit for, but amused me, none the less... Was getting chased around a tech plant on easmir by a pack of 3 scythes last night, they were going to get me, had me down to less than 15% hull. At least one of them had aa missiles, 3 of which i had dodged. I was getting a little desperate to get away and flew through the main bay in the middle of the tech plant.... and survived.... my pursuers it seems all tried to follow at the same time...and either rammed into the low ceiling in the bay, or each other. :D

Hee, I had similar fun the other night getting chased by a mosquito around a biolab. I flew through one of those narrow gaps in the support beams and had to eject as my Reaver was about to blow. I got a wonderful view of the mossie trying to follow me but smacking into the top of the structure. No xp, but screw it, He was dead and I wasn't.

Spent the next 10 minutes in an AA emplacement taking down a dozen extreme threat air vehicles who were too interested in fancy show-off hovering around doors and windows for cheap spawn kills to get away from the flak. More than made up for the previous dearth of XP...

I'm really finding it hard to tell friend from foe sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anyone else using Nvidia's GPU Physics in Planetside 2? It was annoying at first but, now I'm finding it kinda cool.

I have a geforce. How do I make this go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm really finding it hard to tell friend from foe sometimes.

Who are you playing? Im NC and I find it hard sometimes to tell but its usually because of the camo the players wearing

VinLieger wrote: »
    Who are you playing? Im NC and I find it hard sometimes to tell but its usually because of the camo the players wearing

The NC and yeah it's the people wearing camo that I'm find it hardest to tell. There is nothing worse then killing your own guy's in the heat of battle. Lucky for me though I play a CM.

Usually a friendly-coloured triangle above their heads at the least, if not their name too. Helps to keep an eye on the map as well, nearby friendlies are always marked. Also, if they shoot at you that's a hint too, although not really the best one... A quick spot attempt will remove all doubt anyway.

Spent ages trying to get the hang of the Reaver tonight. I think I'm finally stating to understand all the various bits and pieces. I wish I had access to those rockets everybody else fires at me...

Btw, what are people saving for? I'm at BR42 atm (all weapons bought with SC) and I'm really struggling to be excited about my next upgrades. I've just bought the second C4 on my Medic (need to pick it up on HA as well) after I dumped a few hundred points into the new Mana AV turret (reducing the refire rate by 1s). I still got the odd top tier upgrade to get (yay for 1k certs for 1 mag on my Burster MAX) but I'm really no longer got any "OMGZ" things to go for which makes me sad :(

Also were are the promised reduction in prices on the older stuff? Everything is still fully priced as far as I can see outside the daily deal.

Usually a friendly-coloured triangle above their heads at the least, if not their name too. Helps to keep an eye on the map as well, nearby friendlies are always marked. Also, if they shoot at you that's a hint too, although not really the best one... A quick spot attempt will remove all doubt anyway.

Spent ages trying to get the hang of the Reaver tonight. I think I'm finally stating to understand all the various bits and pieces. I wish I had access to those rockets everybody else fires at me...

Which, the spam pods or the lock on's? the latter being useful for runners... though an experianced pilot will be able to dodge them alot of the time... and occasionally kill the pilot that fired it with his/her own missile. :eek:
    I've managed to do that twice :D

The spam pods. The Reaver's main gun is nice and all but no splash damage or real area of effect makes attacking ground targets pointless, and they're the more numerous threat by far. Although I quite like the alternative gun which is essentially a giant vehicle-mounted fully auto shotgun...

Me, I'm only BR20 since last week and not playing terribly often. I'm saving up for a full radar and speed performance on my Flash, high velocity rounds for my HA's main gun so I can countersnipe more effectively (When you shoot me from a distance, make damn sure your first shot is fatal!), and the Vanguard Shield to go with my wonderful armour-piercing main gun and rocket-launcher secondary for hunting down heavy armour. Lots of stuff I still want, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Im considering getting a new gun with my station cash I play light assault what is the best gun in that class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,271 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im considering getting a new gun with my station cash I play light assault what is the best gun in that class

All depends on your own preference tbh, test them all out

If you're looking for close quarters shooting, an automatic shotgun or SMG seems to be the way to go. I'm having a blast with the NC's Piston shotty. And with Slug ammo you can even snipe with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is there a boards outfit? just getting into this again

Advertisement