Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Sarky wrote: »
    Well we don't all want to be obedient little cogs in the mindless imperialistic TR machine so we can't all use a Striker :pac:

The nemesis works just as well for vs :p

On another note, logging on to 7000 certs last night was fun :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The nemesis works just as well for vs :p

On another note, logging on to 7000 certs last night was fun :D
    Nice refund :pac:

I only get 48 certs at most :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Dont wory, some people received over 100k in certs who have never spent a penny in game.

SOE have said they wont be taking the certs back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm really liking these periodic alerts to conquer a particular map in 2 hours. You can be sure the map is well-populated, the tech plants and biolabs become extremely hard-fought (leading to main forces getting bogged down while a clever bunch of squads can grab loads of easier, unprotected territory) and everyone ends up with a pleasant little wodge of xp from the territory bonus and at the end. I only get to play for 2-3 hours at a time, and I'm hardly an expert, but it's not hard to come away from one of those events with 150 certs or more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm really liking these periodic alerts to conquer a particular map in 2 hours. You can be sure the map is well-populated, the tech plants and biolabs become extremely hard-fought (leading to main forces getting bogged down while a clever bunch of squads can grab loads of easier, unprotected territory) and everyone ends up with a pleasant little wodge of xp from the territory bonus and at the end. I only get to play for 2-3 hours at a time, and I'm hardly an expert, but it's not hard to come away from one of those events with 150 certs or more.
    I'd like to see some variety; how about taking all biolabs on all continents? Cap 3 seperate zones close to each starting zone? Only capping one or the other continent is getting a bit long in the tooth on me to be honest (also has to do with our server having the worst morons for this posssible decidign to assault a defended tech plant at 30 min mark etc.).

• Advertisement

the addition of hossin in gu 8(or 9, not sure) will be welcome..

Another rotation of the warp gates would probably keep things fresh enough until then.

I'd like to see something like King of the Hill for, say, The Crown, or one of the other high-up outposts that's easily defended. Or even cross-map coordination, say capture a communications array in one map so someone on another can direct an orbital strike, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Just got PS2 as I saw a few vids and thought it looked very interesting! I've only played a few games so far, and overall have enjoyed it, I am definitely a bit overwhelmed at the moment though. Any tips for fresh meat ? I tend to join a squad and follow them about helping as I can...

One tip, dont get attached to your vehical, no matter how long you can keep it alive...you may end up doing something crazily expensive to avenge them....

Vanu killed my ESF, It was called Bob, which lived for 35 min in flak infested NC skies.... they needed to die.

9 kills from that explosion... unfortunately missed the medic

In all seriousness though, sticking with squads is the best way to learn about the game, outfits can help even more.

Don't go being a hero. Individuals don't matter as much as team effort. It takes a team of snipers to cover an area, a team of heavies to go tank-hunting etc. Stick with the squad, fill a role someone else isn't filling. And communicate with them. Spotting enemies is useful, but "There's at least 6 magriders coming in from the south with liberator support, eta 30 seconds" is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Don't go being a hero. Individuals don't matter as much as team effort. It takes a team of snipers to cover an area, a team of heavies to go tank-hunting etc. Stick with the squad, fill a role someone else isn't filling. And communicate with them. Spotting enemies is useful, but "There's at least 6 magriders coming in from the south with liberator support, eta 30 seconds" is better.

I'd love to find a squad that works like that.

Well looks like I picked up the bug certs as well; came home from a business trip and picked up 3k certs on every character (I know I had duplicate Burster arms on one of my TR and NC chars but my new, created after the sharing of common pool item TR also got the certs) so that was a nice surprise. Paid for me to max out MAX cooldown and Sundy cooldown (both on 5 min now) so I'm happy :P

Friend of mine got something similar. Being a nice sort she contacted the helpdesk to see what happened. They said "Yeh, we screwed up, but we're not gonna bother taking them back, so enjoy!"

Class act from the Planetside folks there, I think.

Had an intense moment yesterday evening on Miller; we had held on to Indar for about a week (we took it at 11am on a weekday were as TR took it at 4am on a weekday previously in operation alarm clock starting at about 3am) at that stage.

TR and NC were out for blood and we were down to only holding 2 zones on Indar when I logged in with about 100 people in queue to move to Indar (20 odd premium members). As a side note NC has to be by far the most useless faction on Miller; they have never been able to hold up their side when we fought against TR to remove their original Indar lock either. They constantly lost bases behind their lines/at the front line so no real surprise that we could push them back I guess but then as we're a few bases in (I'm sitting around in my dual Burster as one of the few AA defenders) I see a Galaxy show up, then another, and another and OMFG there are at least 20+ galaxies in the frigging sky (and I'm starting to recognise clan names and these are the people who know how to get **** done). Starting to unload as fast as I can but with being only me on AA along with a Lightening (it's rare I see any dual bursters these days which is a bit sad) we can only do so much as they fly over us.

As they go past our base towards another tower all I can do is hope that there can be enough people to get there in time to stop us from being cut off from our waygate. After a very intese 15 min we get the upper hand and kill off their push (all AMSes dead) and we can now secure up and push in. End up pushing NC off to the half line relatively quickly (after the Galaxy rush failed they all left basically) and could quickly turn on TR to push them off as well to the half line in the following hour. I have to say though the rush, and the amount of people you saw engaged with the combined combat (planes flying, tanks shooting over fields, infantry ducking in and out of cover etc.) made it one of those epic moments that to me defines why PS2 sticks out from other games. Having over 200 people engaged in combat ranging over a huge piece of land is epic in the true sense of the word (esp. when you're winning :P ) and then seeing a galaxy rush on top of it all...

You gotta love moments like that, nody.

Holding onto about 3k certs just in case they charge for the buggies. Though max's get flamers in the next update

But what's the point of the buggy now? Was it not suppose to be 2 people, person running shotgun can use own weapons and be picked off seperatly (i.e. same as today's buggy with better look around). Only real upside would be if you can avoid suicide by flipping (which has a kil ratio of 10:1 to everything else on buggy deaths for me).

Its 3 people actually, 2 in cabin, one exposed on the back. They can carry also max's as the 3rd person , which can use their weapons while on board. Just think of the possibilities.... reminds me of the IVF's from red alert 2

Nody wrote: »
    As a side note NC has to be by far the most useless faction on Miller

Alas, I am often embarrassed by the actions and lack thereof of the bulk of NC players on Miller. There's certainly nothing poor about their stats, they hit real hard and have some great armour options. Any time I've logged in to one of the conquer events they've usually done very well, but I don't think the outfits plan much or coordinate. They tend to head in a straight line zerg, which is all well and good and a mass invasion certainly has its place, but they consistently fail to respond to enemies showing up in places they've conquered, and they get cut off from the warpgate, and they run out of resources for big shiny vehicles, and they get torn apart.

Saturday night saw just such an occasion on Indar. I logged on with some friends to find NC had nearly 70% control of the map, which was good going considering the faction populations were all 33%. But the main bulk of NC forces were all clumped together and kept pushing forward. All it took was a small TR force to retake a territory behind them, and 30 minutes later NC control was down to less than 10%, both factions pushing back pretty much to the warpgate. It was a pathetic show, I'm not sure anyone was in charge. My friends and I were just trying to hold back places getting overrun while the rest of the faction realised they were being stupid.

Still, managed to claw back maybe 35% control, so that was nice at least...

Alas, I am often embarrassed by the actions and lack thereof of the bulk of NC players on Miller. There's certainly nothing poor about their stats, they hit real hard and have some great armour options. Any time I've logged in to one of the conquer events they've usually done very well, but I don't think the outfits plan much or coordinate. They tend to head in a straight line zerg, which is all well and good and a mass invasion certainly has its place, but they consistently fail to respond to enemies showing up in places they've conquered, and they get cut off from the warpgate, and they run out of resources for big shiny vehicles, and they get torn apart.
    Same is true with VS at times; we got (imo) the best heavy tank but the times you can count beyond 5 of them are VERY rare (NC tanks are even more rare though) where as any TR push has at least a couple of Prowlers (I blame the big splash and dual gun combo) to the length that I don't bother pulling the Mag (a single Mag is asking to be Reaver bait).

Having said that I've started to aim in the face of people and sweet mother of Brell what a difference those headshots do. Going up 1 vs. 1 I'm usually ending with no/minimal health damage vs. dead enemy (inc. shielded heavy) by getting all those headshots in (1.5x damage multiplier). Then I'll usually try to go somewhere and get shot in the back by his friend/doing something stupid like solo C4 their AMS :(

On a seperate sidenote I was doing some VR testing on the new(ish) AA guns they added on my Sundy. The Machine gun was doing same or slightly less damage vs. airplane as the default machinegun on the AMS and worse vs. armor/infantry (i.e. why bother). The flak gun was lower damage but has the benefit of being flak (i.e. don't need to hit the body) but still very poor. As it currently stands I'm down to consider the Bulldog (the arching 'nade launcher) or default guns only on my AMS (the 'nade launcher does nice AA damage if you hit as a Reaver found out the hard way this morning :D ).

looks like you two are playing on the wrong server for tank combat then, on woodman, at primetime it can be hard to see the map under the amount of tanks blasting each other.... quite often 30-40 tanks a side, more often than not theres a minimum of 5 or 6 tanks, per side, in medium scale combat. Matherson... At least the vanu there use more magriders than anything else 0.o

• Advertisement

I'm not hugely interested in tank combat really. I love being out on foot, being part of base assaults and defences as a grunt (albeit a grunt with tonnes of health, armour and heavy-hitting weapons). My most commonly used vehicle is the Flash, Gets me to the front lines where I can take shots at tanks before getting the hell away, or I can zoom about the battle, radar spotting threats for everyone else. I'm starting to get the hang of Reavers now and I enjoy the odd dogfight (or hanging around the edges of fights looking for damaged and escaping vehicles to finish off like a jackal), but I rarely do tanks unless the people I'm tagging alongside sorely need one. In which case a Vanguard kitted out exclusively with AP rounds and rocket launchers and the temporary invulnerability shield can make quite a difference...

Mostly I only bother with vehicles when I'm playing with friends so we can team up more effectively. God bless those fully-crewed Liberators...

In which case a Vanguard kitted out exclusively with AP rounds and rocket launchers and the temporary invulnerability shield can make quite a difference...
    Thank feck for liberators and daltons is all I will say to that.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

looks like you two are playing on the wrong server for tank combat then, on woodman, at primetime it can be hard to see the map under the amount of tanks blasting each other.... quite often 30-40 tanks a side, more often than not theres a minimum of 5 or 6 tanks, per side, in medium scale combat. Matherson... At least the vanu there use more magriders than anything else 0.o

The main reason there are so few big tank battles is due to how squishy PS2 tanks are imho. Between mines, infantry AV weapons, engineer turrets, ESF's rocket spam, LA's with C-4 its just to many ways to die and that's not even taking into account other tanks killing you!

AV weapons should be balanced more like AA weapons in that it will drive the armor away for a bit but not just be free xp as it is now.

Venom wrote: »
    The main reason there are so few big tank battles is due to how squishy PS2 tanks are imho. Between mines, infantry AV weapons, engineer turrets, ESF's rocket spam, LA's with C-4 its just to many ways to die and that's not even taking into account other tanks killing you!

AV weapons should be balanced more like AA weapons in that it will drive the armor away for a bit but not just be free xp as it is now.
    AA weapons kill air just fine thank you very much; also tank drivers should not get a free "I kill everyone" card as they seem to think they deserve because in a 1 on 1 situation a tank should never lose unless clueless (standing still allowing time for flanking and setting up the mines/c4), stupid (not leaving until tank goes red/adding on extra armor/smoke etc.) or simply not clued in (thinking they can take on 4+ infantry from spawn solo).

Venom wrote: »

AV weapons would be the cause of most my deaths while driving armor, Ive lost one tank to mines, too easily spotable with nightvision, have had 0 c4 deaths, engineer turrets, liberators and other tanks would be the other big killers, to be expected really...and while i mostly play tr, that would be for all empire tanks on different servers, average tank life span outside of a zerg would 30- 40 min in combat... in a zerg 1-2 hrs or until it runs into another zerg...

AV weapons can drive armor away, there is no av weapon that will kill a tank in one shot, excluding c4( proximity radar will negate that threat) or mines(nightvision/mineguard) , the problem is, when you have more than 1 av weapon pointed at you

But a simple rule, drive carefully and you'll live longer.

Anyone else getting this problem while trying to play today?
    GAME ERROR G99
    MALFUNCTION:
    WE'RE SORRY, THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE LAST ACTION, CAN YOU PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER?

The launcher runs fine, game starts, loads to about 98% in no time then just sits there, followed by a browser window with that message!

Not seen that one today; let me check. Could it be related to the latest patch being released around now?

Yea, I also crashed before even character screen so I'd say it's patch related (downloaded one patch before logging in).

Nody wrote: »
    Not seen that one today; let me check. Could it be related to the latest patch being released around now?

Was just reading up, G99 means a problem connecting to the Login Server, so chances are good the servers are just down for patching! Cheers Nody!

Fenix wrote: »
    Anyone else getting this problem while trying to play today?

The launcher runs fine, game starts, loads to about 98% in no time then just sits there, followed by a browser window with that message!

looks like server maint, in work so cant check

• Advertisement

So I tried the new pistols in VR last night; beyond the fact the number of kills (and attempts) to use the pistol are very few and far between I have to say underwhelming. Yes, the reload looks cool but that's about it. The range is poor, the stopping power is at best ok (assuming you hit which beyond 10m is very unlikely) and I simply can't see any side that'd benefit from going for it (and that's coming as VS who has by far the worst pistol).

Advertisement