Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

Are you in DIGT?
    I am indeed. :-) You know some DIGT guys?

Lemming wrote: »
    /files that one away for the target list

;)

Haha be so kind as to tell me your tags good sir so i can find you also. Please tell me your INI :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Gaunty wrote: »
    I am indeed. :-) You know some DIGT guys?

Yeah, A friend of mine has been trying to get me to come over to the VS to join DIG. Deraat is his in game name. Do you know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Gaunty wrote: »
    Haha be so kind as to tell me your tags good sir so i can find you also. Please tell me your INI :-P

I'm not hard to find. Look for my username and you'll find me. I'm a member of the TR outfit Last Line Of Defense (LLOD); going way back to the early days of Planetside. Not as many of us have made the jump to PS2 (and remained active), but there's a couple of boardsies in the mix.

Tangled with quite a few DIG/DIGT members last night. You weren't among them though.

Yeah, A friend of mine has been trying to get me to come over to the VS to join DIG. Deraat is his in game name. Do you know him?

I've seen him on teamspeak in the channels with the rest of the guys. Played a lot with him in random platoons and our late night spandex squad. But i've never heard him speak as i've never been in a DIGT op squad with him. Didn't realise he was Irish, i'll have to say hello, don't think he likes to talk much. :-P

You should take his advice and join the spandex side. :-D What outfit do you play with on Miller?

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    I'm not hard to find. Look for my username and you'll find me. I'm a member of the TR outfit Last Line Of Defense (LLOD); going way back to the early days of Planetside. Not as many of us have made the jump to PS2 (and remained active), but there's a couple of boardsies in the mix.

Tangled with quite a few DIG/DIGT members last night. You weren't among them though.

I recognise the outfit. :-) Sadly i was working last night but i'll be taking part in our weekly Wednesday night ops tonight so might see you on the battlefield. Will send a friend request to you ingame when i'm home from work today to let you know which fight DIGT is in. ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

NS 7-PDW for $1.99 and you get a camo as a bonus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Fecking forgot to cancel the auto renewal premium membership. Got charged €59 for another 6 months. Haven't played the game in months. I sent a support ticket requesting a refund but not very hopeful. Anyone have any luck getting something like this refunded before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Is it just me or is population balance better all round now too? Was playing for a few hours last weekend and Miller never seemed to have more than 3-5% difference between faction numbers on any of the maps...

Certainly made it more enjoyable to do some Liberator-hunting in my Reaver, knowing that there are about as many allies in the air as enemies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Lemon.

Great game, the dev's of this game (SOE) are the best of the best, out of all company's they are by far the most experienced and passionate with their games.

Also; SOE will be coming out with EverQuest Next very soon. (It runs the same engine as Planetside 2 except the style is more MMORPG wow style, pretty cool).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

cant wait to play this again once my new 'puter lands (eventually)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is going to be very nice Christmas sale by the sound of it; all items going up for sale will be priced at 99SC no matter the original price. All membership sales (i.e. the additional daily sale for subscribers) will be 1SC!

This is due to run from 18th to 1st so plenty of oppertunity to pick up shiny new toys.

Forgot to add; linky with more information.

Might pick up a few cosmetic bits, some of the user-made stuff is quite lovely.

I spent a great deal of time in a MAX yesterday with a pair of those delicious Raven guided rocket launchers. Lovely anti-tank weapon, that, and decent enough damage/rof to take out the odd trooper that gets too close. Blunted a massive TR offensive on a biolab, me switching between rockets and Aegis shield while a very much chap kept repairing damage taken from any direct hits. It was just raining certs...

Double exp this weekend due to the server issues :D

Hopefully I'll have re-downloaded the whole game by then. Last update caused it to hang when booting up, and then over 4,500 files to fail validation :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Playing a lot over xmas and have to say the game has changed dramatically and for the better, its so polished now.
    While i love BF4 PS2 just does everything better imho, when you look at the state of the netcode in BF4 compared to this yet has thousands of players to deal with its amazing what SOE have accomplished.
    Is there a breakdown of € to SC anywhere? tempted to throw a few quid at it.

Dcully wrote: »
    Playing a lot over xmas and have to say the game has changed dramatically and for the better, its so polished now.
    While i love BF4 PS2 just does everything better imho, when you look at the state of the netcode in BF4 compared to this yet has thousands of players to deal with its amazing what SOE have accomplished.
    Is there a breakdown of € to SC anywhere? tempted to throw a few quid at it.
    Usually 100 SC = $1; that's also the ratio of the most sold package 2500SC = $25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nody wrote: »
    Usually 100 SC = $1; that's also the ratio of the most sold package 2500SC = $25.

The trick is to buy SC when SOE are doing double and triple sales :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Venom wrote: »
    The trick is to buy SC when SOE are doing double and triple sales :)

Good luck with that, think they're moving away from that business model since people only spent money on triple station cash days. they have the odd 33% off station cash sale but no double or triple.

They do more discounted items now and the ingame bundles are fantastic value so i'd only ever buy them if i was new.

KilOit wrote: »
    Good luck with that, think they're moving away from that business model since people only spent money on triple station cash days. they have the odd 33% off station cash sale but no double or triple.

They do more discounted items now and the ingame bundles are fantastic value so i'd only ever buy them if i was new.
    This really; I was holding out for a double/triple cash sale but no luck and ended up going with the 33% off deal instead (happy I did now); I simply can't see them do those deals again. Seeing how I got all but one or two weapons though I'm happy enough with that and I expect another mega package deal with booster in a few months (hopefully vehicle weapons this time but honestly anything you don't have beyond the booster was a bonus).

• Advertisement

Completely missed the christmas sales in PS2. Thanks, ancient family computer and useless Eircom broadband. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For the life of me i cant get over why more people are not allover this game like a rash.
    Its a vastly improved game than it was a year ago.

Sarky wrote: »
    Completely missed the christmas sales in PS2. Thanks, ancient family computer and useless Eircom broadband. :(
    Not missed a lot; 80% were cosmetic and the number of weapons have been far and few between (and usually poor once as well). I've bought more weapons on 50% discount then I did on the "official" sale items (even skipped some 1 SC items...) during this time period...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

For the life of me i cant get over why more people are not all over this game like a rash.

Games that sell weapons in their cash shops do tend to be avoided by many, is there much of a difference from game drop weapons to these or are they able to be acquired ingame too ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

For the life of me i cant get over why more people are

Learning curve too high (mostly trying to figure out where to attack and how) ?

d22ontour wrote: »
    Games that sell weapons in their cash shops do tend to be avoided by many, is there much of a difference from game drop weapons to these or are they able to be acquired ingame too ?

You can acquire everything with XP you get from making kills, healing as a medic, repairing as an engineer, hacking consoles as an infiltrator, or piloting a vehicle in which someone else makes a kill.

In fact, the weapons themselves are just variations on a theme that help develop a niche, such as whether you want to use an infiltrator as a long-distance sniper or someone who gets up close with an SMG while sneaking through an enemy base sabotaging shields for the main force outside.

Any bits that make a real difference, like improved sights, different ammo types or expanded magazines? Those bits are only available through play, they're not for sale at all.

On the whole, I think it works very well. Your default weapon for each class packs a serious punch anyway, and won't put you at a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You can acquire everything with XP you get from making kills, healing as a medic, repairing as an engineer, hacking consoles as an infiltrator, or piloting a vehicle in which someone else makes a kill.

In fact, the weapons themselves are just variations on a theme that help develop a niche, such as whether you want to use an infiltrator as a long-distance sniper or someone who gets up close with an SMG while sneaking through an enemy base sabotaging shields for the main force outside.

Any bits that make a real difference, like improved sights, different ammo types or expanded magazines? Those bits are only available through play, they're not for sale at all.

On the whole, I think it works very well. Your default weapon for each class packs a serious punch anyway, and won't put you at a disadvantage.

This is the most important part for me, i talk to a few guys who play battlefield 3/4 now as if the stock weapons couldn't hit a barn door and they need the unlocks just to play... Battlefield indeed... :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You can acquire everything with XP you get from making kills...

All true but none of that matters really to the new player. FPS games are tainted by others where you do have to pay more to advance. and when you get repeatedly killed by level 100 players on your first game you'll soon stop playing believing that they have paid to get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Ponster wrote: »
    Learning curve too high (mostly trying to figure out where to attack and how) ?

Planetside 2 is not meant to be played solo. You have to play it as a team. The best thing to do is join an outfit and go on teamspeak. They will tell you where to go and what to attack or defend. Only you'll do it as a team. The leaders of my outfit are on a channel with other outfits and the whole battle gets coordinated. One minute you will be defending a Biolab the next you will be told to redeploy to Indar for an attack. It's a lot of fun. If you want I can get you into an outfit. Just PM me.

• Advertisement

I felt like that too at first. I just dropped into a battle somewhere in Esamir thinking it would be like a 16-player map of COD 4, and I ended up dying a lot. Teleporting straight into the action means there are already a LOT of bullets flying about. It takes some getting used to, understanding that you can't really lone wolf it, you need to have some kind of support. I'm still somewhere around BR35, but (mostly) happily taking down those disgusting twin-barreled Prowlers with BR100 pilots because I either have a friendly engineer/medic in the squad to keep me in ammo/health, or I stick close to one when a squad isn't an option.

I think a game with a scale like PS2 requires a shift in perspective. If you can't take a step back and accept that you can't win a war of that scale on your own, you're going to die to other players an awful lot. :)

Edit: Yes, what uncle_sam_ie said. Working as a team is where the game shines. Join a squad, join an outfit or get some friends together and make your own. Some of my best memories of PS2 are a bunch of us piling into a Liberator, and anyone left getting into an interceptor, and raining explodey death down on those TR **** while our friends in reavers kept us safe from those pesky Mosquitos...

Advertisement