Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ponster wrote: »
    All true but none of that matters really to the new player. FPS games are tainted by others where you do have to pay more to advance. and when you get repeatedly killed by level 100 players on your first game you'll soon stop playing believing that they have paid to get to that point.

This game probably lost 1000's of players in the first few months by broken game mechanics like pre nerf lib bombing spawns and raking hundreds of kills in minutes, could imagine a lot of new players uninstalling after that.

Things are more tuned now and I could just as easily kill with default weapons as I could with 1000 cert weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Aye, the game had some balance problems early on. I remember refusing to leave the building if I heard aircraft engines outside and wasn't sure they were friendly. Now, I'll still probably get obliterated if I just stand about, but with a little planning and maybe some luck, you can take down a Liberator single-handed if they're cocky enough to think they can get you without help.

Addendum: There really is little more satisfying than taking out a lazy or arrogant Scythe/Mossie/Liberator with a single unguided rocket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

KilOit wrote: »
    Things are more tuned now and I could just as easily kill with default weapons as I could with 1000 cert weapons.
    For normal weapons this has always been the case really; the only thing you get with more weapons are more options (do you want range over damage etc.) but once you go up against a given weapon it will deal the same damage by a BR1 and a BR100 and there are no armor upgrades etc. that will change this in any relevant way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im trying to get some lads from my clan/community to play it with me so i recorded a short clip with shadowplay to show off the amazing nightime eye candy,unfortunately youtube sucks out a lot of the quality and framerate :(
    Any videos that might help my battle to get these guys to play more and show off the game is appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dcully wrote: »
    Im trying to get some lads from my clan/community to play it with me so i recorded a short clip with shadowplay to show off the amazing nightime eye candy,unfortunately youtube sucks out a lot of the quality and framerate :(
    Any videos that might help my battle to get these guys to play more and show off the game is appreciated :)

You would have been a nice juicy target for me standing up there uncloaked.:D Lucky for you we're on the same side. Dcully what server are you on and what's your name in game?

• Advertisement

You would have been a nice juicy target for me standing up there uncloaked.:D Lucky for you we're on the same side. Dcully what server are you on and what's your name in game?

lol i know, i was trying to get as much eye candy of explosions etc hence the carelessness :P

Playing on Cobalt name is Cullyhaslasers :)

Anyone paying membership? is it worth it?

Anyone paying membership? is it worth it?
    Member since Beta.
    It's worth it if you get a lot of fun out of the game and play it a lot.
    the 50% xp and resource boost is great if you're 6+ months member or got a 6 month subscription, the 500 station cash isn't too shabby either but they are changing the membership at the minute so i'll hold off till they finalise it more.

I'm BR100 now and the membership isn't really worth it to me anymore, it's great in the early levels when you're trying to get certs to buy the essentials.
    I'm only retaining membership because i wan't to support the game and think it has great potential, if they had more money at their disposable the sky is the limit to where this game can go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

KilOit wrote: »
    I'm BR100 now and the membership isn't really worth it to me anymore, it's great in the early levels when you're trying to get certs to buy the essentials.
    I'm only retaining membership because i wan't to support the game and think it has great potential, if they had more money at their disposable the sky is the limit to where this game can go

Do you still keep getting certs once you hit BR100 or have you pretty much gotten everything at that stage?

Do you still keep getting certs once you hit BR100 or have you pretty much gotten everything at that stage?
    Yeah, keep getting certs when 100.
    since BR90 i've been hovering around 10000 certs as is the max amount of certs you can have at any one time, so you have to spend them or you'll stop gaining them. you could get BR100 4 times over before you unlock everything so, no i don't have everything but i have all the fun, good at killing stuff.
    I have no certs in Galaxy and not much in Sunderer, infiltrator and light assault

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm BR99 (800k away from BR100) and can only echo what KlOit said; I thought around BR80 that I'd run out of things by BR100 but on classes I'm around 40% done (MAX at 75%), vehicles around 50% and that's with out maxing them (i.e. I've rarely gotten the final 1k cert in reload, ammo capacity, cool down timer etc.). You run out of big show changers like the maxed repair tool or medic tool but there's definitely plenty more to get and max out to squeeze out every bit from them.

Also on the membership; you ONLY get the 500SC (and what ever going to be replaced by) if you have auto renewal set up; if you go for 6 months and cancel the renewal after 2 months you'll not get the SC until you add it back in again. Personally I find the 48 certs a day combined with the 5 daily doubles allow me to get ~100 cert a day in 30 min (the 30 min is doing the daily doubles in the morning with a 50% exp booster on top of subscription as they stack).

Ok sorry to be a noob what are the daily doubles?

Had a great game just now, outfit had two platoons going ,thats almost a hundred of us assaulting in coordinated attacks, great fun.

Each day is 5 dailies quests sorta that double your ribbon xp, get it for pretty much everything. With all boosts and membership it amounts to a tidy sum.
    couple that with a double xp weekend and you'll be swimming in certs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Rebuilt my PC recently and considering picking this up again. Many from boards still playing it?

And we got great news for all SoE players:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. We listened.

Here are the basics of our revised plan. Please note - we have not had the time to do estimates of the work involved, and also we're continuing to listen. so this isn't baked just yet. Do not expect that this is all going to happen immediately. We plain don't know yet. we're doing that meeting tmw.

1) We're lowering the price of All Access to $14.99
    2) We're going to make it so every subscriber to all our PC games an all access member. Basically there will be one SOE membership for our PC games. Please note there are some minor restrictions around our kids titles (simply put - if you're a 12 year old who signed up for FR you won't have access to the adult games so we'll likely leave the lower priced kids offerings as separate subscriptions for under 12 for the same low prices).
    3) We're keeping the 500 SC included with the subscription instead of going to the "pick an item" system. We heard you. You didn't like the change. The only change we are making is that we're now going to make you claim it monthly. You can still hoard it though :) I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it's the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread.
    4) we are going to be giving our members a 10% discount in our marketplaces.
    5) European players - we have an idea on how to include you in this but we need to discuss with our partners.We have a pretty good idea on this though. give us a bit of time to suss this out.
    6) Nothing is changing with Player Studio items - you'll still be able to buy them with your 500SC.
    7) Console titles - you'll notice I only mentioned the PC titles. Our goal is to include the PS3 and PS4 games that we have, but I want to be up front and say that isn't a done deal.

In a nutshell that's where our head is at.

As always your feedback is welcomed. Please do us a big favor and carefully think about #3. Our goal is to give you more value in the subscription to make it more attractive and making it simpler in the process.
    I really feel like we're making a good decision going this route. It makes things simpler and gives more value to our players.

Thanks

Smed"
    So $15 all access and with Everquest Next being released shortly that's great for me at least :)

Thats awesome if it includes EQ next as i had planned getting it too :)
    Would i be better off sitting a while before i sub to PS2 or just do so now?

Thats awesome if it includes EQ next as i had planned getting it too :)
    Would i be better off sitting a while before i sub to PS2 or just do so now?
    Might as well do it now as your subscription will be going into the new form anyway I'd say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Nody wrote: »
    Might as well do it now as your subscription will be going into the new form anyway I'd say :)

I wouldn't get my hopes up. They removed all access for EU a couple of years back and even though they say in the post that they are looking into it I would still not get my hopes up as EU games are managed by a different company prosiebensat.1

aN.Droid wrote: »
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. They removed all access for EU a couple of years back and even though they say in the post that they are looking into it I would still not get my hopes up as EU games are managed by a different company prosiebensat.1
    I'm on a Sony account and I'll play on the US servers if that what it comes down to; the poor service provided by Prosieben is legendary...

I relly don't know what it is exactly, but I'm having a lot more fun lately switching mostly between HA and MAX. Battles are flowing more smoothly, bio labs are more fun to attack and defend, TR don't seem to be spamming Prowlers at every opportunity...

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    I relly don't know what it is exactly, but I'm having a lot more fun lately switching mostly between HA and MAX. Battles are flowing more smoothly, bio labs are more fun to attack and defend, TR don't seem to be spamming Prowlers at every opportunity...
    But NC still does at every oppertunity (and then push the skill shield when they get caught with pants down and run away); trust me...

Over all though there's simply more tanks around because of the nerf of the Harrasser though which is great as I'm bumping my Magrider driving (and shooting) as priority (beyond being bloody fun). Of course it helps when you got one of the best magdrivers on the server in your outfit looking for gunners regularly :P

Have to disagree on Bio labs though; they have become such spam parties that you run into 5+ MAXes (AI and AV) at either A point (top of staircase shooting out the door) or at the point next to gen/stair case that are all constantly spamming the doorways that you simply can't do anything even as a MAX. Give me a tower any day of the week (love running around them as a LA with shotty and taking out support guys or C4 MAXes trying to defend the stair cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I like when you get a prowler zerg and there are enough phoenix equipped HA to deal with them otherwise it is time to just leave and keep hopping about to drag the zerg all over the continent, leaving each location as they arrive.

Really cant get over how much better this game is now,i cant stop playing it.
    Popped on to play some BF4 yesterday with some mates ,while i enjoyed it i kept comparing it to PS2 and thinking how much more epic PS2 is in almost every way.
    Any TR or NC in a decent outfit?
    Im happy with my VS outfit but ive no home for my TR and NC guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

If your looking for a decent outfit on a server a lot of us on here are playing try Miller Dcully. NC outfits that i'd recommend are listed here http://www.reddit.com/r/MillerPlanetside/wiki/nc_outfits and TR here http://www.reddit.com/r/MillerPlanetside/wiki/tr_outfits. Hope that helps :)

Anddd sneaky VS listings for those looking for a decent place to wear spandex! http://www.reddit.com/r/MillerPlanetside/wiki/vs_outfits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Will this be any good on the PS4?

Like will there be a big performance difference between affordable mid range PC's and the PS4 version?

One more question. If you never pay for anything in this game is it still fun or do you need to buy extra's?

I can't answer your PS4 question but i can tell you that there is zero need to pay to be competitive in this game. Subscribing does grant you a nice xp and resource boost and will help you unlock or buy weapons quicker but absolutely everything except for cosmetics can be gained just by having fun ingame. :)

I personally have never bought a weapon (Just cosmetics to make my classes and vehicles look cooler) but i have a competitive k/d and score per minute and play in a good organised outfit. It's probably the perfect free to play game!

Edit - Also, i have to be honest, the starter guns themselves in most cases are already extremely good guns if you know how to use them. Except for some cases most guns are sidegrades rather than upgrades and it's just about finding what gun suits your playstyle. You can try out any gun/attachment in VR training for no cert cost so that you can find out if it feels right for you before you buy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Been playing PS2 for a few weeks now and am loving it, totally hooked! Play TR on Waterson. The outfit will usually have 1 or 2 platoons up every night so there's a lot of coordination and tactics in play.

Defo agree that getting into an active outift ASAP is crucial to getting the most out of the game. I was so lost when I started, was getting killed before I realised the guy in front of me was an enemy, ran around the map for ages without knowing where I was going, didn't understand the lattice lines and capping points etc. But you pick it up quick listening to the commands your platoon and squad leaders bark out over the voice channels.

Why did you choose an American server? Bit of a nightowl? :P

Another way to put this in perspective; Daddy who is a top all server in exp, kills etc. by a significant margin still unlocks things for his character to this day. He has ~10x the number of certs I do and I'm just about to hit BR100 :)

Oh and if you do play on Miller and see him (as a non TR character) expect to die but do everything you can to kill him; you'll be in for one heck of a fight (you'll usually find him in a Mosq. but also seen him as MAX and Heavy); same goes for the rest of the RO guys (fun but very tough fights to be expected).

• Advertisement

Finally finished off the Flak Armour cert track for my MAX. With a pair of Ravens it's just a fantastic tank-killer. And safer than a HA trying to sneak up with AV grenades, a Decimator and a bunch of C4. Although that is seriously fun too when you single-handedly take out that armoured Sundy and stem the tide of glittery spandex-wearing prancers trying to take over your base...

Advertisement