Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland attic insulation

Options
  • 24-02-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey guys was goin to get the attic insulation done whats Electric Ireland offer like

any reviews price ect need help

thanks...
    tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The suit

Hi Tom

Electric Ireland quoted me 1100 for attic insulation in a 3bed semi!!
    I Thought this was a bit steep and the girl I got on the phone didn't seem to know what she was talkin about.
    So I rang 3 companies in the Dublin area from the golden pages. Of the three only one actually returned my call ( thought there was a recession on)
    It was Usher Energy Saving Solutions in Dublin 15. They were very prompt on returning my call, the guy that called out to have a look was very professional and seemed to know his stuff. He gave me a price 30% cheaper than electric Ireland.
    The workers that came out were very good aswell, they were in and out in no time with no mess at all!! I would highly recommend them!!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tommydublin

what quote u got 1100 euro flooring ect storage area

No that was jus for the insulation!!
    No extras like flooring or storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi tommydublin,

We are currently offering 12% off attic insulation. The typical cost of attic insulation in a 3 or 4 bed semi detached house is €460. With a 12% discount, you would pay only €405. The discount on attic insulation includes pipes, walkways and tanks as appropriate, and the work usually only takes one day.

If you are carrying out additional measures, you may be entitled to an SEAI grant of €200 towards the cost of the attic insulation.

To receive a free quote for any of our range of Home Services measures, call us Monday to Friday between 8am-6pm on 1850 372 333. Or we can call you.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

David.

Hi Tommydublin

When I asked if Electric Ireland use local contractors the girl I spoke to on the phone said that the contractors that Electric Ireland use are Northern Ireland and UK based.
    I am assuming that if all their purchases are made in the UK economy therefore all profits and jobs go to the british economy.
    So much for Electric Ireland supporting local jobs and economy!!!!

the Suit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The patch

Hi David electric ireland,

What thickness insulation do electric ireland supply for the attic for the 460.00 euro as I have received quotes from two other insulation companies for attic insulation which stated the thickness of insulation being installed.

regards,

The Patch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi The Patch :)

I have been speaking with my colleagues in Energy Services and they have provided the following information pertaining to your query:

Required thickness of quilt insulation to attain eligibility for a SEAI grant is 300mm (enough to achieve a U-value of 0.16W/m²K). Most dwellings have some insulation present, but if it is worn or missing, the full 300mm will be required. If not, the existing insulation will be topped-up to an overall thickness of 300mm. Existing ventilation standards will be maintained.

All attic pipework will be insulated unless already adequately insulated.

All cold-water storage tanks including header tank to be fitted with a lid and insulated with a tank jacket fabricated on site if desired (unless already adequately insulated).

Attic hatch insulated to the same degree as the attic and mechanically secured and draught-proofed (unless already adequately insulated and draft-proofed).

All attics should have a minimum thickness of insulation of 100mm (see above). If no grant is being applied for, the same standards will be applied unless the customer wishes less to be carried out. Anything less than 300mm will result in diminished energy savings.

Walkboards will be provided for maintenance access, from the access hatch to the cold water storage tank.

Regards,
    Una

The suit wrote: »
    Hi Tommydublin

When I asked if Electric Ireland use local contractors the girl I spoke to on the phone said that the contractors that Electric Ireland use are Northern Ireland and UK based.
    I am assuming that if all their purchases are made in the UK economy therefore all profits and jobs go to the british economy.
    So much for Electric Ireland supporting local jobs and economy!!!!

the Suit
    Hi Dave/The Suit,

We can advise that Electric Ireland has a panel of well established and competent contractors in Kerry, Dublin and Down, to enable us serve our all-island customer base.

Regards :)
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Sorry to but in on this thread. Our attic, standard 3 bed semi d, is converted into a room, storage area ar either side

I am not sure the insulation is up to scratch. Would the ESB team, provide an insulation service in such a case.

Hi Paul,

No problem at all. :)

Yes, here's the link on attic insulation (on the residential energy services section of our website) for which we currently offer a discount.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 guiseppe

Hi is there any jobs going with the Home Services team ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi guiseppe,

I've responded to your query here.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Hi tommydublin,

We are currently offering 12% off attic insulation. The typical cost of attic insulation in a 3 or 4 bed semi detached house is €460. With a 12% discount, you would pay only €405. The discount on attic insulation includes pipes, walkways and tanks as appropriate, and the work usually only takes one day.

If you are carrying out additional measures, you may be entitled to an SEAI grant of €200 towards the cost of the attic insulation.

To receive a free quote for any of our range of Home Services measures, call us Monday to Friday between 8am-6pm on 1850 372 333. Or we can call you.

What the ....? Insulation or inflation! just cut and pasted below from Electric Ireland site.

What are the typical costs?

Typical cost of attic insulation for a 3 or 4 bed semi-detached house is around €1,935* and there is a potential SEAI grant of up to €200** for the work, when you completed the work in conjunction with another measure
    * Terms and conditions apply. Prices quoted are correct as of 1st of July 2012.
    **Source SEAI. Savings and losses are calculated by SEAI Grants are subject to BER. For full details on SEAI grants visit www.seai.ie

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

David.

Any reason?

Hello Velosolex,

Just in relation to this item you pasted from www.ElectricIreland.ie:
    Typical cost of attic insulation for a 3 or 4 bed semi-detached house is around €1,935* and there is a potential SEAI grant of up to €200** for the work, when you completed the work in conjunction with another measure
    * Terms and conditions apply. Prices quoted are correct as of 1st of July 2012.
    **Source SEAI. Savings and losses are calculated by SEAI Grants are subject to BER. For full details on SEAI grants visit www.seai.ie

We are competitive with other providers for insulation, and the insulation itself is up to the highest standard set by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) so it includes insulation of the pipes and tank in the attic space and we install a safe walkway from the hatch to the tank. Insulation is 300mm - SEAI standard.

There are three types of attic insulation:

> Ceiling level, which is the lowest cost - average around €460

> Rafter level - this can be up to €2,000

> Flatroom - this can be on average €1,200 to €1,500

These costs on our site are indicative and a quote will help narrow down costs for a specific premises, as there are so many variables between home types.

With regards to the offer from February quoted in your post: that is expired now. We have the Quick Quote facility here for customers to make home services calculations. Customers can also avail of a free quote consultation from one of our Home Energy Services representatives. All info on our Home Energy Services here.

Regards,
    Una

Post above updated.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement