Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC coming to Dundalk?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if UPC are coming to Dundalk in the near future?

My friend said he got a flyer in the door saying they were but I havent recieved anything like that.

I rang UPC up and the customer service agent said that they aren't told where UPC will be expanding to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Last i heard (and this was about 2 years ago) they were looking(pp) to build a new cinema on the same site that the icedome and JJB(RIP :() are on.Haven't heard a dicky-bird since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Last i heard (and this was about 2 years ago) they were looking(pp) to build a new cinema on the same site that the icedome and JJB(RIP :() are on.Haven't heard a dicky-bird since :(
    UPC is a cable TV provider dude. Not the cinema chain....

OP there are different stories. I assume you want their awesome broadband? Basically, one of the stories is that the Irish Government are blocking them from laying fibre optics past Balbriggan.... The most realistic one is that it just wouldn't be worth their while hauling the cable 86 km up the road for such a small catchment.... Anyway.... From what I've been told.... We'll be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

You'll be hearing Minor birds next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

MugMugs wrote: »
    UPC is a cable TV provider dude. Not the cinema chain...
    *WHOOSH* what was i smoking :pac:-~
    shindig-jp wrote: »
    Ahh welcome back.Hope the ban taught you some lessons.Live and learn buddy,live and learn.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

UPC is a cable TV provider dude. Not the cinema chain....

OP there are different stories. I assume you want their awesome broadband? Basically, one of the stories is that the Irish Government are blocking them from laying fibre optics past Balbriggan.... The most realistic one is that it just wouldn't be worth their while hauling the cable 86 km up the road for such a small catchment.... Anyway.... From what I've been told.... We'll be waiting.
    Both of that is b*****s, sadly in a way. There is already fibre optic cabling that the likes of Digiweb (and formerly Smart Telecom) used for connecting different exchanges around the country in larger towns mainly. It's operated by ESB Telecom and serves the main electricity substation in Dundalk and connects to the MAN there. UPC use ESB Telecom/the MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) to serve Mullingar for example. BT also own a 24-fibre fibre optic cable along the railway line to Dundalk from Dublin which already connects to their equipment in the Drogheda exchange for example. And I presume Dundalk aswell. So fibre is not an excuse for UPC sadly.

The real issue is not having coaxial cable already installed around Dundalk. So unless most houses in Dundalk allowed cable to be hung alongside the gutters or walls from house to house, it's unlikely that UPC will invest in building a cable network there any time soon. And it's much more expensive an issue than bringing fibre optic cable to the Dundalk MAN. Copper's very expensive.

Dundalk and Drogheda are the largest towns in Ireland, it's amazing the lack of attention UPC has shown this market of 25,000 houses or so. Drogheda probably is the larger TV market due to reception issues for RTE and especially the UK channels along the Boyne and the larger number of MMDS (UPC TV through an aerial from Mt. Oriel) customers as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The real issue is not having coaxial cable already installed around Dundalk. So unless most houses in Dundalk allowed cable to be hung alongside the gutters or walls from house to house, it's unlikely that UPC will invest in building a cable network there any time soon. And it's much more expensive an issue than bringing fibre optic cable to the Dundalk MAN. Copper's very expensive.

I always wondered about the lack of cable tv networking around Dundalk. Late 80's Navan had a cable system with their own Community TV station too as a result (way ahead of the time when ye consider that local radio stations are infequent enough today). Do newer estates have such networking done or even the likes of Bay Estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There is already fibre optic cabling that the likes of Digiweb (and formerly Smart Telecom) used for connecting different exchanges around the country in larger towns mainly. It's operated by ESB Telecom
    Does Bord Gais not also have fibre optic cabling?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nesta99 wrote: »

I always wondered about the lack of cable tv networking around Dundalk. Late 80's Navan had a cable system with their own Community TV station too as a result (way ahead of the time when ye consider that local radio stations are infequent enough today). Do newer estates have such networking done or even the likes of Bay Estate?

I'm in a recently built estate and the answer to that is No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Does Bord Gais not also have fibre optic cabling?
    They might but I figured two examples was enough to disprove any rumours of Dundalk (or indeed Drogheda) not having any non-eircom fibre to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lmibmry1

UPC are in Marlmount in Haggardstown (tv only, no broadband)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

UPC is a cable TV provider dude. Not the cinema chain...
    *WHOOSH* what was i smoking :pac:-~
    shindig-jp wrote: »
    Ahh welcome back.Hope the ban taught you some lessons.Live and learn buddy,live and learn.:)

Lol
    I nearly wet meself reading that .

We're stuck with slow broadband so !
    Or even none
    My sister got a phone line in a few weeks ago to get broadband only to be told a few weeks later she couldent have broadband even though all her neighbours have it .

Advertisement