Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student access course

Options
  • 24-02-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi all can anybody Give me any info on this course? Is it a good pathway to a third level course? Is it similar to a fetac level 5? Any info would be great.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blackra1n

Hi Risteard,
    The Access Course is a 1 year part-time evening course that aims to provide mature students with the opportunity to prepare, personally and academically, for an undergraduate course of full-time study of at least three years duration.
    The course is designed to meet the learning needs of the adult student; to provide individual attention and assistance where appropriate; and to provide financial support, contingent upon funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blackra1n

You have to be over 22 years of age on the first of January to apply for it.(It is designed for Mature Students ONLY).

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Blackra1n wrote: »
    Hi Risteard,
    The Access Course is a 1 year part-time evening course that aims to provide mature students with the opportunity to prepare, personally and academically, for an undergraduate course of full-time study of at least three years duration.
    The course is designed to meet the learning needs of the adult student; to provide individual attention and assistance where appropriate; and to provide financial support, contingent upon funding.

Thanks for your reply,it says its a full time course? If you complete it successfully is it the same as a fetac course? Would a fetac course
    be better? Thanks again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

risteard7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply,it says its a full time course? If you complete it successfully is it the same as a fetac course? Would a fetac course
    be better? Thanks again.......

Hi Risteard,
    I took this course and found it to be the perfect transition into a degree programme. It prepares you to enter college for the first time and it is well regarded by third level institutions. If you do well you have an excellent chance in getting the course you want through CAO.

Reasons why you may be better off in this course than a FETAC?

The format is closer to what you'd find in college or university, while covering essential skills necessary for a degree. The educational support is excellent and you are eased into the routine of study, assignment preparation and exam review.

Elective modules you take on the programme are the same modules that 1st year students in D.I.T. take, so you can get an idea of what it would be like on the degree you have your eye on. You then won't need to be repeat a module if it's part of your degree the following year.

While on the course, you already become familiar with D.I.T. and when you start the degree, it is just like starting a new term.

You make a new set of friends and networks which spans over a variety of skills and interests in different degree programmes - really useful for contacts when you join the workforce.

Also, last time I checked it is the only 'free' access course for levels 7 and 8 in college.

I've never done a FETAC course, so can't really explain the merits of one - I imagine your ultimate decision would be based on what course you want to do in college as I've seen many institutions list them as access courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zete

can i attend this course for the one year and then apply for a course in another college?

Advertisement