Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Eircom router to extend signal

• 24-02-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

ok this is my situation.

we changed to vodafone broadband and the modem had to me moved to a new location in the house as the old really long cable broke.

so now part of the house is cut off from broadband signal.

now we do have an old eircom router (netopia).

is there anyway to use that as a kind of extender? seems like a logical idea for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If you got an ethernet cable and plugged the netopia into the current broadband modem with it, the netopia would also work as a wireless network for your house and you could place it wherever, depending on how far you can run a cable from the current broadband modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

If you got an ethernet cable and plugged the netopia into the current broadband modem with it, the netopia would also work as a wireless network for your house and you could place it wherever, depending on how far you can run a cable from the current broadband modem/router.

tried that to no avail.

is it really as simple as ethernet from modem to modem ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You have to make a few settings changes to the netopia modem (like switching off the DCHP server of the netopia) but I've tested this years ago and it worked fine. I used a netopia modem/router to extend the signal from a digiweb router. If you have newer firmware, the Netopia has the option of changing the WAN mode from DSL to ethernet, so it makes the process much easier. If you turn off DCHP and plug in a cable from the netopia to the current router then I think it should work fine. I can't remember what other settings might have to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

You have to make a few settings changes to the netopia modem (like switching off the DCHP server of the netopia) but I've tested this years ago and it worked fine. I used a netopia modem/router to extend the signal from a digiweb router. If you have newer firmware, the Netopia has the option of changing the WAN mode from DSL to ethernet, so it makes the process much easier. If you turn off DCHP and plug in a cable from the netopia to the current router then I think it should work fine. I can't remember what other settings might have to be changed.

yup switched off the DCHP and then changed around the bridging options.

thanks a million! ever in kilkenny i owe ya a pint! sound!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you can even run ethernet over telephone wires...2 pairs required. It will work @ 10 mbits or so......if it works at all. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement